5k in April

Random

Barefooters
Feb 9, 2016
I have finally decided to seriously tackle running, but I won't be going barefoot. I will be wearing minimalist shoes, and I feel a mix of excitement and not being so sure I can do this. The race is April 27th and is a very local race.

I think you could do it. Just remember if you have trouble on the course, you can always walk. :)

Good luck. Have fun!

Go for it!
Let us know how the training goes...:)
Thanks. :)

I'm using a Google Play app called C25K. I've used it twice so far and really like it.

I began by buying some running self hypnosis recordings (99 cents each) and listening to them. Then, when I started actually doing the walk/run/walk, I put two on a playlist for background music in the app. My run days are Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. So far, I'm really liking it. (Yeah, two whole days in . :D )

Reactions: Tedlet
I did week one and two twice on the c25k app. Tried doing week three, but had to go back again. I am determined to do week 3 beginning this coming Monday.

I have just finished 5 weeks of running with this app and it really helps.

Normally I only run/walk about 31 minutes, including a 5-minute warm-up walk and a 5-minute cool down walk. Today, however, I had a route I wanted to measure that I couldn't use Google Maps on. It turned out to be 4.78 km and took me 51 minutes. I think that will be a good route to practice 5K on.

Reactions: Tedlet
I forgot to mention that I downloaded the Nike app. The c25k stops measuring distance as soon as it says your workout is done (and it doesn't seem to be very accurate even with the GPS on). The Nike app will continue measuring until I turn it off. It also shows me a picture of my route at the end, which the c25k app does not do.

Tyler, that's on this forum, isn't it? Do you have a link?

The 5k is being held too far away for me to walk there, then run the 5k, then walk home, so I'm going to be doing my own private 5k that day. (I did have a chance to borrow a car, but the person offering works nights and the odds of me having access to the car in time to get to the spot on time are too low to chance it). I'm going to use the Nike app to keep track of my distance and time. Oddly enough, I'm perfectly fine with that. The 5k is the most important thing to me, not the place I run it.

Minutes I can run before I walk are not very long. Yesterday, I did run about 6 minutes without a break, which surprised me very much. I think it's because I had been going for about 25 minutes already, plus I was on a slight downhill slope (instead of uphill). That 6 minutes was about 5-6 times longer than I've been able to run up to this point.

I don't really know why it has been so difficult to run very long. I have noticed that I run longer after I've been running/walking for over 20 minutes. Also, that day, I decided to walk 1/2 a km before I began running (I think my habit was beginning to run before I was fully warmed up). Also, I noticed that I pointed the toes of my right foot out instead of straight ahead, so on that run I did my best to remember to point it straight forward, so that may have been a factor.

So I got sick on Wednesday and it got worse on Thursday and Friday. But I was determined to do the 5K run today. I think I mentioned earlier that I can't do my city's 5K because I don't have a way to get there and, at this point in my life, I don't have what it takes to walk 4 miles to the park, do a 3K run, and then walk 4 miles back home.

The upside to that is that I didn't make anyone sick when I did my 5k this morning.

I had been hoping that I could run it in 52 minutes or less. I ran it in 54 min, 25 sec (10'53" pace per km), slower than my practice runs when I felt good. Sigh.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to do another 5K in a month or two on a day when I feel really good. I don't have a medallion or a shirt for another 5K, but I probably can do fine without one.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS