50k Training Plan

bubba hotep

Barefooters
Nov 29, 2011
I saw your post elsewhere but can't respond there from my phone. To answer the question: Can I just increase mileage on a marathon training plan for a 50k? Yes. That is what I did for my 1st 50k. I don't know what your marathon plan looks like but I would gradually increase the mileage on the mid week run and your weekend long run. Maybe get your mid week up to 10 or 12 and your weekend up to 20 - 24? Remember a 50k is just a long marathon!

Bubba, I am kind of looking

Bubba,

I am kind of looking for the same advice. I would like to do my first 50k at the end of April. My biggest problem is finding the right shoe to wear. I have done some long runs in huaraches and was going to attempt my next marathon in them, but because of blisters (not from the huaraches) I'm going to use Merrell Trail Gloves. I would love to increase my barefoot mileage, but I am stuck at 13 miles on smooth surfaces. It has been hard to build up the barefoot miles because of weather and rough conditions. Aerobically, I think I am ready.

Bubba, thanks man!   I

Bubba, thanks man! I appreciate the input, and I agree with having a midweek long run, that's what I did when I was training for my second marathon and PR'ed by alot. The midweek long run definitely compliments the weekend very long run.

I just found this 16 week training plan online, I like how it goes by time instead of mileage. I am going to use it as a template for training. I like to have some kind of direction when I train for something but I don't stress over following it step by step, things come up in life.

Here is the plan:

http://blog.rockcreek.com/archives/make-the-rockcreek-stumpjump-your-first-50k.html

That plan looks good. I love

That plan looks good. I love doubles and they are great way to up your mileage but keep your stress low. I am seriously considering switching to training by time this summer.

I never did doubles,  but

I never did doubles, but honestly doubles will just not work with me. My window of oppurtunity to train is limited and needs to be worked around family life first, but that's cool. I usually run at 5:00am when training for something just to get it over with, no time at night especially with the kids.

rickwhitelaw wrote:Bubba, I

rickwhitelaw said:
Bubba,

I am kind of looking for the same advice. I would like to do my first 50k at the end of April. My biggest problem is finding the right shoe to wear. I have done some long runs in huaraches and was going to attempt my next marathon in them, but because of blisters (not from the huaraches) I'm going to use Merrell Trail Gloves. I would love to increase my barefoot mileage, but I am stuck at 13 miles on smooth surfaces. It has been hard to build up the barefoot miles because of weather and rough conditions. Aerobically, I think I am ready.
I took one shot at a BF ultra trail race and that will hold me over for a good while. I may attempt a BF 24 or 48 hr if the course is smooth. The biggest thing is to just run a lot in different shoe options to see what works best. I have had great luck avoiding blisters with NB 101/110.

Barefoot Gentile wrote:I

Barefoot Gentile said:
I never did doubles, but honestly doubles will just not work with me. My window of oppurtunity to train is limited and needs to be worked around family life first, but that's cool. I usually run at 5:00am when training for something just to get it over with, no time at night especially with the kids.
I've had great success with doubles because of my limited time. I try and get an early run and then one at lunch or at night after the kids are down. But I can certainly understand it not working for everyone.

bubba hotep wrote:Barefoot

bubba hotep said:
Barefoot Gentile said:
I've had great success with doubles because of my limited time. I try and get an early run and then one at lunch or at night after the kids are down. But I can certainly understand it not working for everyone.

Maybe it can work me, I will never know until I try it. It's good to break out of a regular routine at times anyways.

I've done same day doubles a

I've done same day doubles a few times, and they are very mentally rewarding.

I didn't look at the training plan, but back to back long runs are fun too. My favorite training weekend so far has been my back to back 20 milers.

Abide wrote:Bubba how often

Abide said:
Bubba how often do you do them?
I was doing 3 or 4 doubles a week when I was training for my 100. I haven't done many this winter because I was hurt for a portion of December and I don't really like running in the dark and cold twice a day. I am looking forward to getting back into more doubles this summer.

Bubba - Thanks for the

Bubba - Thanks for the advice. I'll keep searching for something that might work. Might give the huaraches another try.

Gentile - I really like the training plan based on time. I'll start working on that soon. I have never done doubles before. I usually need a day to recover, but lately I haven't had too many problems.

Chaser - I'm not too familiar with your history. Did you do marathons or 5ok's before your 50 milers? I would be interested in some of your training tips. I know your racking up some big miles barefoot. That's impressive. How many years have you been unshod?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11

Latest posts