50K Trail footwear choice (Badger Mountain Challenge, Richland, WA)

janson

Barefooters
Sep 21, 2011
So, I've pretty much decided that in preperation for my first marathon at the end of april, I'm going to run a 50K ultra at the end of March... My feet won't be in good enough shape to run the whole thing barefoot (though I may try some of it). The trails are mostly fairly loose dirt and gravel. I'm thinking about getting some Luna's for it, any recomendations?

I think the original Lunas

I think the original Lunas are great for what you are describing. However, they do take a bit of time to get flowing and you'll probably have to play around with the laces a bit. I nearly gave up on running in mine but now they are my go to option for trail running.

For what your describing,

For what your describing, either huaraches or barefoot. Something very minimal for sure.

Good luck!

Agree with bubba.  I love

Agree with bubba. I love running trails in my Luna originals but it took a few months to break them in and get the leather laces worn in enough so that they didn't require re-lacing every 10 minutes during a run. I've run 2 of my 50ks in them and it is definitely doable.

Good luck and have fun.

Preparing for a marathon by

Preparing for a marathon by running an ultra marathon? :p

PatrickGSR94 wrote:preparing

PatrickGSR94 said:
Preparing for a marathon by running an ultra marathon? :p

Sounds backwards but I guess I can see the logic in it.

I personally love huaraches and for what you described, the recommendations for the Original Lunas should be just fine. I've not dealt with leather lacing yet, but am ordering some so that I can restring up my current pair of huaraches. The lacing I currently have stretches too much. Good luck!

Sounds like the consensus is

Sounds like the consensus is pretty clear, Lunas it is. I'm going to be in Seattle in a couple weeks, so I'll be able to go to the Born To Run store and try them on. Has anybody tried the new elasticized laces?

Mike has them on his Equus. 

Mike has them on his Equus. I should have my new ATS (Lunas All Terrain Sandal) here today which has a combo of lacing it looks like. Once I get it and wear it for a little bit I'll let you know how they are. Hoping they will feel pretty secure.

Some people seem to like the

Some people seem to like the elasticized laces, but I prefer the customizability of the leather laces. As others have said, learn to tie them. Practice re-tying on training runs to get acclimated to tying them on the fly.

Is the course hilly? Some people prefer to go with a shoe if there's too much downhill. Or if there's a high probability of mud.

I got my new Luna ATS today. 

I got my new Luna ATS today. I really love the sole and footbed for what I needed these for (mud and flooded areas). I obviously have not been able to run in them yet, other than the couple minutes running through the parking lot. I did where them out and about this evening for about 3 1/2 hours and I must say, my feet hurt and have marks on the top from the laces. The way it's a patchwork lace system, there's not a lot of room to adjust these so they fit comfortably. I'm thinking about contacting them and seeing if they will help me out here or will send me a different lace system for them. I do not have a fat foot and the front section that goes between the toes is too tight and actually causes the sandal to have "toe spring" when my foot is in it. I love my other huaraches and I will love these once I get the lacing fixed.

Last Place Jason wrote:Some

Last Place Jason said:
Some people seem to like the elasticized laces, but I prefer the customizability of the leather laces. As others have said, learn to tie them. Practice re-tying on training runs to get acclimated to tying them on the fly.

Is the course hilly? Some people prefer to go with a shoe if there's too much downhill. Or if there's a high probability of mud.
Mud and water do suck the life out the Luna experience, unless you like the sensation of mini ice skating rinks attached to your feet.

if there's mud on the trail

if there's mud on the trail huaraches won't work, unless you get those new ATS. the equus laces are nice for everyday wear and easy running but won't hold your foot for more aggressive running. i would think your runamocs should work fine on the trails and anywhere else you want to go.

Nick, are you not able to adjust the laces yourself? they're something new so you will have to break them in but i would think they should work well once you get used to them.

Jason already asked my

Jason already asked my question: Is the course hilly? If you're not used to running in huaraches (especially on hills) you'll want plenty of time to acclimate. I personally prefer my huaraches on difficult trails but if I'm running lots of hills (which I do almost 90% of the time) I wear a shoe. I haven't been able to get used to the pulling sensation between my toes. It just bugs me.

The chance of mud on this

The chance of mud on this course is almost zero. I'm thinking I'll get the new laces, and then buy a spare pair of leather laces so I can try both. The problem with the Run amocs Mike, is that this trail is really dusty, and they fill up with dust on it.

Bubba noted this- the issue

Bubba noted this- the issue with huaraches and mud (and hills) isn't a matter of traction. It's a matter of the foot slipping on the footbed. In short races this isn't too much of an issue. In a 50k, it will likely lead to broken straps or even a DNF.

My best advice- test the huaraches on the actual course in the conditions that you'll likely face on race day. If you can't test on the actual course, find the best approximation you can. Most importantly, have a contingency plan. Two of my DNFs came from unanticipated footwear issues and a lack of an adequate backup.

Thanks for the tips Jason. 

Thanks for the tips Jason. The course happens to be in the town I live in, so I can try out sections beforehand easily (which I plan to do). Good thought on a backup as well, maybe I should put my runamocs in my wifes car, and then I could call her to meet me at an aid station if I needed them.

Mike, the way the straps are,

Mike, the way the straps are, theres not a lot of room for adjustment on the one side, the side where the strap goes between the toes. This side you can only adjust a very small amount because of the different heel strap. The strap on the sandal goes from the ribbon, to a really thick webbing type material, to the elasticized leather (this is the heel portion) to a small webbing that is adjustable. I had adjusted these as much as I could but it wasn't enough and I still ended up with an almost cut, or I guess hole, in the top of one foot and the other foot was just bright red and a little raw. These are right at the buckle because I can't loosen the strap enough where it needs to be loosened for me. I do really think I will like these it's just getting the lacing right for me. I dunno how anti slip the footbed is as my feet had sweat and I could feel a little slip just walking around. I would say it is probably better than a leather footbed, but....