4th Annual Thanksgiving Day Ultra/Marathon

Barefoot Burt

Barefooters
Sep 30, 2010
I had the most amazing running experience of my life today. Julian and Alex Romero orgainize this guerilla style marathon running the LA marathon course every year at Thanksgiving. The one and only Ken Bob was the mobile Aid station in the car and sometimes running with us as his wife took the wheel. Those guys actually ran to the starting line!

I joined the group near my house..I figured I'd jump in and run a few miles until I couldnt keep up. Alex's marathon PR is 2:40 and Julian's is 2:47. There were 9 total people including the Ken Bob aid wagon in our clan. The only barefooters were Alex,Julian, Ken Bob and myself. I was in hog heaven! These are all the guys I have read about and looked up to and here I am running shoulder to shoulder with them!

I couldnt believe how light Julian, Alex and Ken were on their feet. Very gentle, yet fast and effortless. We got kinda lost at one point and I was having a blast so I didnt care. We ran some gnarly terrain and had some good hills in there too. When we make it the Beach, its a beautiful day, I am running with Ken Bob on my right shoulder and Julian is directly in front of us... as we hit the beach I am at mile 12 and the pace keeps getting faster it's sitting at 7min pace at that point. As we get to the boardwalk and hit mile 13 for me its mile 35 for them!! We decide to race the last mile back to the pier...we pick a starting point and we hit it and we are off and flying! Alex is immediately like....gone...Julian right behind. I am pushing at a 6 min pace and watching them disappear towards the pier. I am huffing and puffing and choking on my own spit at 6 min pace at mile 13 ... I finish, we all finish, joy!

I end up with 14 miles and Julian and Alex end up with 36 and the others 37! Those guys actually ran to the starting line!

Everybody there was so talented I felt so lucky and happy to be around such talent and such interesting folks!

The bonus was at the end Ken Bob gave us all Running Barefoot tye dyes!

They talked me into running the LA marathon this year....so ....I'll have to start doing some long runs.

Thank you Ken Bob and Julian and Alex! You made my freakn day.

Wow, I would of been in my

Wow, I would of been in my glory, running with those 3 for a mile, let alone 14. A experience of a lifetime.

Mike wrote:Insert stupid

Mike said:
Insert stupid question here: Who are Julian and Alex Romero?

I don't think Burt is still online, so I will try to respond, Julian and Alex are very quick members of the BRS from I believe Los Angles, there have been posts on here before pertaining to a CNN interview with Julian after I believe he placed 14th at the LA Marathon in under 3 hours barefoot. To top this I believe Alex is faster than Julian.

Sounds like a great time,

Sounds like a great time, Burt. Definitely some awesome memories. Did you get any pictures you can share?

Bob, you are correct, Sir. Well, kind of. Julian is a BRS member, but Alex is not. Julian doesn't post though. And yes, Alex is faster than Julian. Ken Bob is our Senior Advisor to the Board. Ken Bob contributes from time-to-time and is the BRS's LA Chapter President as well.

I had the honor of having Ken Bob, Cathy, and Herman stay in our home while they traveled through our part of the country on his Barefoot Workshop Tour. I also had the priviledge of running with him. He is definitely very laid back, one cool cat, like Preston calls him.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS