45, windchill 35 and it started snowing midway through my run..

khyricat

Barefooters
Jan 14, 2011
add in I took a different route- one I used to walk last year, but the asphalt was very broken up this spring and wasn't last winter.. and my pace was WAY slow...

It's the first time I've tried to truly do a distance bare. Thankfully I had the shoes, but I started in them because they just filled some potholes on my gravel road and that was going to be killer.. and I think I was heel striking or I didn't stretch enough first because the achilles tendon I tore twice years ago started twinging, so I took off the shoes in a hurry, did ok for a bit and then hit the broken up asphalt and had to put the shoes back on.. I eventually walked until I got to another gravel road.. then ran slowly to my street and put the shoes back on for the last bit (merrell pure gloves, not big coffins). I was going to repeat the loop or figure 8 the other way before heading back to the house, but the snow landed on my bust as I was nearing the end of my road so I just came home.. 1.5 instead of 2.5-3.5 miles (planned). At least it was outside again though.. I love that I'm getting out there even if the distances aren't adding up yet.. I do more distance inside..

I also noticed my first and second splits were at a faster pace than I do indoors. Not sure if it's the stride or just being outside. After that it got slower, but I stopped 3 times to do shoes on and off and I walked a bit before I decided to put the shoes back on.

Hey Amie, I get those

Hey Amie, I get those achilles twinges if I don't warm up properly and stretch my calf out a bit before a run. Which I never do so I get them often. I'm not sure if that is your situation since you had surgery, but some food for thought if you are up for thinking?

I normally stretch well, but

I normally stretch well, but I also normally run earlier in the day, I think that may have been a BIG part of it.. plan to stretch more, but i also KNOW I was heel striking, as soon as the shoes came off that stopped. I did stretch, but I wanted to get outside while I could, so didn't do as much as normal.

Wind was wicked today but it

Wind was wicked today but it sounds like you got a little of the white stuff and we did not for once. Good job!

the wind was wicked here

the wind was wicked here too... I am not going to get a run in today- too much else to do.. tomorrow starts my new commute and I have to work, so I'm sure that will be different too. Friday I plan on at least a 3 miler.. no matter what the weather is and if I do it inside or outside.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test