$30 for a 5k?!

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Barefoot Gentile, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Barefoot Gentile

Barefoot Gentile
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Connecticut

I have some family members that are running this local 5K and when I saw the entry fee I am having doubts now. I have ran half marathons that are less than this.

I don't know about you, but have you noticed the dramatic rise in race entry fees?

2. janson

janson
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Washington

I haven't noticed an increase

I haven't noticed an increase so much as a large variation. The last one I ran was $8, and there is one coming up that is $25.

3. saypay45

saypay45
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa

$30 is pretty cheap for a 5K

$30 is pretty cheap for a 5K around here. I've paid $60 for a 5K before. Must be a local thing.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Elvisbloom

Elvisbloom
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. New Jersey
    2. New York
    3. Presidents

Hopefully you get a tech

Hopefully you get a tech shirt with that. But yes, that seems about right for the tri-state area. I ran a $60 10k two weeks ago (but I got a medal and a tech shirt, oh yeah, and I ran a race... so money well spent)

5. Abide

Abide
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

Yeah it is getting crazy,

Yeah it is getting crazy, sometimes I think running anything less than a half mary just isn't worth the money.

I checked out the tough mudder race here in January, it is $125 for an 11 mile obstacle run, here is the kicker though, spectators have to pay $15. WTF? Didn't they get the message that running is the most boring spectator sport ever?

6. Barefoot Dama

Barefoot Dama
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota
    2. Iowa
    3. México

That is ridiculous too much

That is ridiculous too much $$ for a 5k, around here it goes for $20/$25 which is a lot if you ask me.

One of the reasons I don't enter too many short races like that.

7. Smelph

Smelph
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Michigan -...

I've found that charity races

I've found that charity races tend to be more expensive. I've run q bunch of 5ks for

8. Barefoot Gentile

Barefoot Gentile
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Connecticut

Abide wrote:Yeah it is

To be honest I am not a fan of 5k's, to short and boring. That last time I ran a 5k is when I was about 11, then it was fun. I don't even know how to run a 5k now to be honest, I am sure it will humble me in some way if I do run it.

9. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

My husband wants to know why

My husband wants to know why we pay anyone to run. Shouldn't running be free? He's a real smarty pants!

10. SoleSolace

SoleSolace
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Maryland

Most of the runs I see around

Most of the runs I see around here cost at least $25 (up to $50) but all of them are charity runs. In that case, I don't mind shelling out some dough to help out a good cause. And you almost always walk away with a t-shirt of some sort.

11. Pjruns2

Pjruns2
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Kentucky
    2. Ohio

I've noticed! Since this

I've noticed!

Since this past spring I have been really selective in choosing paid runs.

The last 6 or 7 years I have been doing Sprint and Olympic Tri's, but only did one this year. I am selling my Tri bike and entry fees are the chief reason. Since I started running barefoot my attitude has really changed drastically. I have done more OWSing, long bike rides, and running this year on my own and don't miss racing much at all.

It seems that bringing a bit of joy back into running is common among barefooters and that costs nothing, but as the commercial says: it is priceless! Funny how that attitude has spilled over into my swimming and biking.

12. Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Hart
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...
    2. Texas - Dallas
    3. International

I'm not sure I've ever paid

I'm not sure I've ever paid less than that for a 5k around here in Dallas but all my runs have also had tons of ammenities too. There are always lots of port-a-potties, food, water, entertainment, shirts, etc so I usually feel like the money has been well spent. The only race I've done that didn't have all that jazz and cost the same was a charity race, but runners get hand made medals from the children the race supports so it was well worth it.

13. Abide

Abide
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

Barefoot Gentile wrote:To be

Yeah you spend more time getting ready, driving, parking, etc... than actually running. However I might do a few when I am ready to actually run them competitively against myself.

14. Tristan

Tristan
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Most around here are $25-30

Most around here are $25-30 for advance reg, $5-10 more raceday, for 5k'ers. I think the most expensive one was $40, but they actually served champaign afterwards, to which I got my moneys worth...

15. JosephTree

JosephTree
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

I'm a cheap SOB, but still, I

I'm a cheap SOB, but still, I don't mind shelling out for a charity now and then. Which isn't to say that I don't appreciate a nice $20 run like the last 5k I ran. It's course took it by my driveway, so I could hardly refuse, eh?...and I got an AG trophy! (my very first ever!)

My wife is not sympathetic to the outlays. For that matter she's not sure about this whole running business and suspects there might be something going on somehow...

16. Dirtbag

Dirtbag
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

I think racing is just

I think racing is just getting more expensive, and I'd guess one of the chief reasons is the cost of insurance and coverage. I do more triathlons than straight runs, but with a tri you're gotta have lifeguards, buoys, a park area for transitions, bike racks, road closure for the bike and often the run route, which means police, plus the race director has got to cover his rear in case somone goes down so there is plenty of insurance protection. Even for a 5k, you need to close the park/road/trail, get medics, buy t-shirts/medals, set up timing chips, etc. I've got to imagine that putting together a race can't be a cheap thing, not if you want to be treated well as an athlete.

I'm thrilled when an event I want to do is only $30, and the only events like that here in Hawaii have been the Open Water North Shore Swim Series. Granted, everything is more expensive here.

17. Barefootpuffin

Barefootpuffin
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Sounds about right, but I

Sounds about right, but I think they vary largely by location. Here in podunk, I mean Lawton, Oklahoma we don't see too many runners. Our largest race was just over 1000+. I think that has to do with costs. We got medals and a tech shirt for 25 a piece for a 5k. The half marathon was 60 bucks for the same swag.

18. Second Wind

Second Wind
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Tennessee

Yep, I definitely have.  The

Yep, I definitely have. The Cheapest one I've seen anywhere near me in the last year is $25 (in fact there's a tiny start up one nearby that will only have a handful of people, has never done one before, the town itself has never had a 5k held in it, and They're charging $25), with most being $30-$35, and one that I was recently invited to (and turned down) was $40... for a local 5k.