2017 Australia-Adelaide

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
2017 IBRD Australia_Adelaide.jpg 2017 Australia-Adelaide

From Neil:

2017 IBRD.
We met up for this years run on a chilly May day. The venue was my old running spot of Henley Beach where I have not run very often since moving 10km south of the city.

I arrived early and rather than stand around getting cold I decided to run my old speed course from jetty to jetty along the beach then back along the road. Could I do it before the others arrived. I started off at a steady pace along the sand for a 2km warm up then came off the beach to run back as fast as I could manage. I was a little slower than a few years ago and just made it back as the others were arriving.

It was just our core group of myself, David and Michael out for the run today. We ran about 6km today, first along the concrete Esplanade by the beach then running back along the sand. I chilly wind was blowing from the south so it was good to turn around and have it as a tailwind. My knee only gave a few small twinges today and I think it's getting better month by month but it's a very slow process.

It was cold by the time we got off the beach and I was looking forward to a warm coffee in one of the local cafes.
The weather for the remainder of May has been perfect autumn weather, warm sunny days and cooler nights. The night temperatures have fallen as we have entered June, down to a few degrees above freezing overnight, this makes an early morning run less appealing (I don't like numb feet) so I save my running until later in the day.

Neil

View attachment 8218 2017 Australia-Adelaide

From Neil:

2017 IBRD.
We met up for this years run on a chilly May day. The venue was my old running spot of Henley Beach where I have not run very often since moving 10km south of the city.

I arrived early and rather than stand around getting cold I decided to run my old speed course from jetty to jetty along the beach then back along the road. Could I do it before the others arrived. I started off at a steady pace along the sand for a 2km warm up then came off the beach to run back as fast as I could manage. I was a little slower than a few years ago and just made it back as the others were arriving.

It was just our core group of myself, David and Michael out for the run today. We ran about 6km today, first along the concrete Esplanade by the beach then running back along the sand. I chilly wind was blowing from the south so it was good to turn around and have it as a tailwind. My knee only gave a few small twinges today and I think it's getting better month by month but it's a very slow process.

It was cold by the time we got off the beach and I was looking forward to a warm coffee in one of the local cafes.
The weather for the remainder of May has been perfect autumn weather, warm sunny days and cooler nights. The night temperatures have fallen as we have entered June, down to a few degrees above freezing overnight, this makes an early morning run less appealing (I don't like numb feet) so I save my running until later in the day.

Neil
Sounds like it was cold enough to qualify for the winter challenge. Hope you guys sign up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
View attachment 8218 2017 Australia-Adelaide

From Neil:

2017 IBRD.

Neil
Looks like you had a good time!

Hi TJ,
We are mainly spoiled for good weather so we whine when a cloud appears on the horizon to threaten rain.
The autumn (fall) has been much drier than normal with bright sunny days an cold nights.
I leave my running until later in the morning when the sun has warmed the ground a little so I don't have numb feet.
The company I work for has moved further away and it well over doubled my travel time to around 2.5 hours a day and this is crimping my ability to get out for a run after work while it is still light. I can still get in a 2 x 10km over the week though, one in the week and one on the weekend. I still have a knee issue that is persisting for much longer than I anticipated and is taking the enjoyment out of my running at the moment. I have put a posting in the injury forum to see if any of the docs have a suggestion of exercises I can do.

Regards

Neil

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Sucks how pain can take the enjoyment out of running, I understand. Have you also posted in Ask the Docs?