2016 Plans (Races, Events, Do it Yourself)

Wow! no kidding about pushing the pace, super fast finish for a trail race. Congrats on your second place finish!
Did you get price?
What's the distance for the Zen Grey race? It's coming up soon too.
Now you're going to let me know your fueling secrets(promise not to tell anyone).

It was a road race, ugg. I tried to run on the shoulder as much as possible and 8 miles of it was graveled road. Fueling was sport drink, bananas, trail bars, black licorice sunflower seeds, a few gels, sushi, and rice crackers. I have an iron gut.

Zane Grey is 51 miles. Next Saturday. Training has been non existent, but at least I have no injuries.

It was a road race, ugg. I tried to run on the shoulder as much as possible and 8 miles of it was graveled road. Fueling was sport drink, bananas, trail bars, black licorice sunflower seeds, a few gels, sushi, and rice crackers. I have an iron gut.

Zane Grey is 51 miles. Next Saturday. Training has been non existent, but at least I have no injuries.

Have a good race Rick looks like some great weather.

Abide, tough luck on your DNS.

Had great weather at Zane Grey. Afternoon was hot, but manageable with a wind, a few clouds, getting wet in streams, etc. I made a few mistakes with my hydration and electrolyte balance but still had a great result of 13:04, good enough for 39th out of 96, 133 starters. Probably not too many would say this, but the trail was not as difficult as expected with the second half of the race very runable. Another great spot in Arizona. I would like to explore other trails on the rim. So with that race I am done with races for a while. I like self supported adventures without the pressure of racing. Also looking forward to getting my feet out of shoes again.

Abide, tough luck on your DNS.

Had great weather at Zane Grey. Afternoon was hot, but manageable with a wind, a few clouds, getting wet in streams, etc. I made a few mistakes with my hydration and electrolyte balance but still had a great result of 13:04, good enough for 39th out of 96, 133 starters. Probably not too many would say this, but the trail was not as difficult as expected with the second half of the race very runable. Another great spot in Arizona. I would like to explore other trails on the rim. So with that race I am done with races for a while. I like self supported adventures without the pressure of racing. Also looking forward to getting my feet out of shoes again.
Congrats on the sweet run Rick!

I like self supported adventures without the pressure of racing. Also looking forward to getting my feet out of shoes again.

Hey congrats on the solid ZG finish! And I completely understand about the pressure. After I get through the next few races I am also just going to do some self supported adventures as well.

I prefer the top of the rim to where ZG takes place. The trails running up and down the rim are pretty rough/gnarly/steep but the cabin loop trail up top is fabulous.

Well, just a few months ago I discovered your Ultra company's Monument Valley race, and I have been blown away - like, I've had dreams about running it after spending time poring over people's race reports! (Not to mention the company seems incredibly awesome, too). I've never run an ultra but my goal this year is to train for Monument Valley in 2017 - hoping it will continue to be offered! I wish I could be ready for 2016 but I'm just getting back into running after a year+ break and have only done one full marathon in the past. I may be back asking more and more questions of you as I progress in my training...

Anyway, I'm running the Surf City half marathon in Huntington Beach on Feb. 7, the Canyonlands half in Moab on March 11, and the Long Beach full marathon on October 9.

Aside from the races I've already registered for, my goal in 2016 is to do more trail running, and some trail races eventually - as I plan to train for my first ultra in 2017 (I just realized this is the Ultra forum - oops - I'm just a training wannabe at this point). I live by the beach and have to drive an hour to most of the trails with elevation, which limits me to weekends, but I've joined some running groups that do trails so I won't be trying to find them on my own. Though perhaps some dry sand beach running would also be in order to help me prepare for MV one day?!

Hi BFnLBC--I live in OC also; ran the Monument Valley race this past March . . . Here's my brief blog write-up and a few photos: https://theagavin.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/my-first-ultra-race-yep-here-comes-another-race-report/
It was my first ultra . . . I went pretty slow due to knee pain . . . but you're right: the company that runs this race series IS awesome! Good luck training for MV '17 . . . it's worth the effort (and really looong drive from OC). Happy (OC) trails! Thea

After a long recovery from Javelina I have decided to take a break from 100 mile races. I've scheduled a 52 mile relay race which I will do solo in March (hopefully in sandals). Zane Grey 50 in April. I will also be at all of the events of the Ultra company that I work for. As for other adventures, I plan to spend a lot of time in Southern Utah exploring the trails close to home.

Anyone else thinking of their schedule?

You work for Ultra Adventures?! How cool is that . . . I ran their Monument Valley 55K two months ago (such a well-run race!); my goal was to finish my first ultra, which I did, and now I'm just enjoying the local trails, looking forward to a night-time R2R in June after I give a creative writing workshop at the North Rim June 17-19. Happy trails! Thea

Hi BFnLBC--I live in OC also; ran the Monument Valley race this past March . . . Here's my brief blog write-up and a few photos: https://theagavin.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/my-first-ultra-race-yep-here-comes-another-race-report/
It was my first ultra . . . I went pretty slow due to knee pain . . . but you're right: the company that runs this race series IS awesome! Good luck training for MV '17 . . . it's worth the effort (and really looong drive from OC). Happy (OC) trails! Thea

Oh my gosh that's awesome! Thanks for the link - I love your race report, and huge congratulations!! I am so inspired and impressed that you did it barefoot. I was wondering about that given the sand - I find it easier to run in sand barefoot than in sandals or shoes, though I'm definitely not a fan of stickers. Did you train on the OC beaches for the sand aspect of the race? What trails do you usually run? I'm trying to run trails on weekends but so far have only been exploring Bolsa Chica (nice and flat) and Palos Verdes (super steep).

MV would be my first ultra as well unless I am ready for one sooner.I am so excited about it - especially now that my foot is not bothering me (knock wood). I am actually hoping to go out for the Monument Valley Marathon in November also - still trying to see how that will affect/dictate Thanksgiving plans. My husband, dogs and I drive to Moab, UT once or twice a year, and the drive MV is actually a little shorter - so I think Monument Valley twice in 4 months is totally reasonable! :happy:

Very cool report! I forgot how pretty it is there.

That's a pretty impressive sticker you had there ouch!

Reactions: Thea Gavin

Hi Thea. I think I saw you in Monument Valley. I was remarking a wash when a barefooter went cruising by me. I almost yelled out, but it looked like you were in the zone. Great report. Those goatheads were bad there. Otherwise, fun to be barefoot. The road was also nasty with dust and fresh sharp gravel. Hopefully next year they will have a bypass trail made.

Headed to the Grand Canyon for the weekend to help with another race. Undecided on a hike after. Thinking Bill Hall/Thunder River/Tapeets/Deer Creek, but a friend is trying to talk me into R2R2R.

Hi Thea. I think I saw you in Monument Valley. I was remarking a wash when a barefooter went cruising by me. I almost yelled out, but it looked like you were in the zone. Great report. Those goatheads were bad there. Otherwise, fun to be barefoot. The road was also nasty with dust and fresh sharp gravel. Hopefully next year they will have a bypass trail made.

Headed to the Grand Canyon for the weekend to help with another race. Undecided on a hike after. Thinking Bill Hall/Thunder River/Tapeets/Deer Creek, but a friend is trying to talk me into R2R2R.

Hi Rick! I hope you don't get this note for a while, because you're down in the Canyon! Which trail did you decide on? Thunder River (pretty remote, and quite challenging near the top) or R2R2R (a different kind of challenge, what with the crowds :) )

And how was the Ultra Adventures North Rim race that you helped out with? I just looked for news of it on FB, but there was no update. Hope it went well . . . good weather and all . . . and thanks again for your work on the Monument Valley race . . . it was extremely well marked! (and it might have been someone else running BF that day . . . I saw another lady running without shoes on the "out and back" Mitchell Mesa loop. We just kind of smiled at each other and kept trucking along . . . that was pretty far into the race :)

Hi Rick! I hope you don't get this note for a while, because you're down in the Canyon! Which trail did you decide on? Thunder River (pretty remote, and quite challenging near the top) or R2R2R (a different kind of challenge, what with the crowds :) )

And how was the Ultra Adventures North Rim race that you helped out with? I just looked for news of it on FB, but there was no update. Hope it went well . . . good weather and all . . . and thanks again for your work on the Monument Valley race . . . it was extremely well marked! (and it might have been someone else running BF that day . . . I saw another lady running without shoes on the "out and back" Mitchell Mesa loop. We just kind of smiled at each other and kept trucking along . . . that was pretty far into the race :)

The race went well. Most runners loved the course. I ended up going home after the race, too much work to do (and to be honest, I did not want to sleep in the back of my truck, I'm getting wimpy). I will have to go back in the fall. Hope you had fun adventures there.