2012 St. George Marathon Race Report (warning, long post)

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
images
The St. George Marathon is the largest marathon in Utah and takes place the first weekend in October every year. With over 10,000 applicants, they limit the race to 7,400 runners. It always receives high rankings for one of the most organizied marathons. It is known as a destination marathon and people can combine their run with a trip to Southern Utah's national and state parks or a get away to Las Vegas. The course is described as fast, downhill, and scenic. Many people run it as a Boston qualifier. Anyone considering a marathon in the west should think about running this one.

Last year’s St. George Marathon was my first marathon. I ran it in Vibram’s. I had a great marathon, but ended the race with knee pain. The last three miles was a run/walk struggle. I did my second marathon in Sedona, AZ. in February and this time I tried Merrell Trail Gloves. This one went badly. I pushed too hard in the beginning and the knee pain kicked in at mile 13, by mile 16 I was walking. I finished, but in a lot of pain. Started all over and shelved the minshoes. Built the mileage up slowly and kept the knee pain to a minimum by finding my form flaw. So I was hoping that the third time would be the charm. Getting to the starting line of the 2012 St. George Marathon would not have been possible without the advice and encouragement of the BRS members. I am truly thankful. I apologize for the shortage of action photos. The race photos came out, there were a few good shots, but I just could not spend that much money to buy them.

PRE-RACE​
I was a nervous wreck. Going through all of the concerns of a 1st Barefoot marathon was like running my first marathon all over again. Finally a week before, the self confidence kicked in and I was ready. Friday was the expo in the city of St. George. The course happens to be on the highway that I drive to get from my home to that city, so it was a good opportunity to check out the conditions. I had known that the highway department had paved some sections earlier in the summer. I was worried about fresh chip seal, but they did a final coat of tar over the sharp chips. I stopped the car with my wife protesting (imagine getting hit by a car the day before the race). Wow, this is going to be a rough one.
The expo was packed with vendor and runners. I was sporting my BRS shirt and no shoes, but nobody noticed. Man, this was a focused group. I had a few comments from the vendors. Picked up my packet and bib number and went to a Bart Yasso talk. It was very good with lots of stories and inspiration. Got to meet him after and chatted a bit about barefoot running. Nice guy. Had enough of the crowd and headed home.
I actually got a good night sleep. I didn’t even need the 3 alarms that I set. My internal alarm went off at 4 am. Debated on weather to blast Eye of the Tiger while rolling and getting ready, but decided to enjoy my quiet before getting my wife and kids up. Left at 5:05, just 5 minutes past my goal. The nice thing about being on the opposite side of the starting line was no bus ride for me. Girls asleep and my wife too tired to talk, I listened to the radio. After “Walking on Broken Glass” played, Billy Joel’s “Longest Time” came on. OK, maybe time to turn it off. Soon, I approached the starting line. Excitement building. The road was blocked about ¼ mile from the start, so I gathered my things (camelbak with my backup sandals), kissed my girls, and headed out. I was pretty cold, so I had socks on. Man the road was rough, what was I thinking? Starting line, people everywhere. Bus after bus unloading people, fire pits, huge crowd gathering. I found a quiet place to wait, the hardest part of any race. My brother and sister in-law were also running, but I couldn’t find them. Finally after an eternity, the announcer told us to get ready for the start. I knew from last year, no need to line up on the busy road. Everyone starts out too fast. I just hung around and then made my way to the back of the pack.
THE RACE​
The start was cold and dark I ditched the socks and slowly crossed the starting line. The first two miles were new, rough pavement. I hardly noticed with a nice slow pace and fresh feet. Still new pavement after mile 2, but it smoothed out a little, started to get light, and the crowd thinned a little. I was having fun now. The comments started pouring in. Barefoot, barefoot, barefoot, born to run, barefoot Ted, barefoot Ken, hardcore. You’ve heard them all. Off came the outer layers, plenty warm now. About 7 miles in came the first little town and the new pavement ended. Older chip seal now, just fine. The only real hill was next and I charged up it. Probably mistake #1. Most people in the back of the pack walk this hill. The next several miles were rolling hills. I was feeling great. I vowed that I would keep an even pace, but a lot of energy was spent passing people. With my camelback I was skipping all of the aid stations and I was shorting myself a little on the fuel, water, and electrolytes. Mistake #2. I reached the halfway point and thoughts of a PR crossed my mind. I didn’t have a watch, but estimated a 2:15 half and many people run a negative split on this course.
St.%2BGeorge%2BMarathon%2BVeyo%2BHill.jpg

Veyo hill at mile 7, not a big deal.
images

The view right after mile 14. Snow canyon.

Then everything changed. The new pavement started again and this stuff was rougher than the starting line and on the steepest downhill of the course. Tried to get into zen mode and relax, but I was fighting it. Too many people yelling “how are your feet?” I knew this stretch was 3.5 miles, I just had to get through it. The downhill combined with the rough fried my quads and they started cramping. I would run half a mile and then pull to the side and rub my legs. Doubled up on the electrolytes, but it was too late. Worked my way through that section and knew my time was blown. Finally hit smoother pavement, but my soles were sensitive now and it was getting hot. I managed a slow, but steady pace and did some route finding. There were smoother strips to run on, but slower runners always seemed to be on them and I would have to pass around them. I tried running on the center line occasionally. The miles ticked by, the cramps weren’t too bad, but then more downhill. Miles 20 to 23 were nice, I found a smooth section of road, I just had to dodge a few pieces of gravel. Quads started protesting again. I was hitting the aid stations now, even drinking Gatoraide which I normally avoid, and getting Icy Hot rubbed on my legs, using up a lot of time, but I needed it. Mile 23, the city. I made the cut off time, so I knew I would make it now. More new pavement, but I switched to the sidewalks where there was shade. Just had to avoid the spectators and gravel on the sidewalks. Still had the numerous street crossings that I had to get through. So much encouragement from the spectators and other runners at this point. One runner even offered his socks to me. Everyone's goal it to just finish at this point and most people are walking. I got a boost when I saw my wife and girls at mile 24. They made me a nice poster and we chatted for a few minutes.
020-1.jpg

I continued on. The cramps were getting bad. Walking was worse, so I would run and stop to rub. I think every muscle in my legs cramped at some point. Finally the last turn, I could hear the crowd and the announcer. I had to leave the sidewalk for the road. Tried to put on a smile and pretend to run but the road was rough. Miraculously, 200 yards from the finish the road got smooth and I finished strong, hearing the announcer call “number 3602 Richard Whitelaw from Beryl, Utah and he just ran this whole thing barefoot”. The cheer was loud (maybe more so in my own mind) and I raised my arms as I crossed the finish line.

I signed up for tracking, so here are my splits:
10K 1:06 Pace 10:38
13.1 2:19 Pace 10:35
30K 3:48 Pace 12:15
Finish 5:39 Pace 12:55

A few other race notes: starting temp. 41 finishing temp. 88
My place was 5260 (wow). About 440 people came in behind me and at least 600 did not finish. One good thing about finishing that late, I had a place to sit and there was no line at the fruit tables.

Even though I didn’t set a time goal, I really thought I would finish under 5 hours, but I consider it a success. I met my goals by finishing barefoot and finishing with no knee pain. I am fully recovered a week later (feet were fine in two days) and I am already looking forward to another marathon. Will I run another marathon barefoot? For sure. Will I run St. George Marathon again? Probably. Will I run St. George marathon barefoot again? Definitely not.
028-1.jpg

Reactions: rik and Tristan
Wow with all the details in this report it does seem like a bit more of a struggle compared to your teaser report lol! Congrats man, and thats an awesome support crew you have there! That view of Snow Canyon looks fantastic. And 47º temp raise from start to finish... dang!

Awesome job, it is only up from here.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test