1st run (bare)!

mikee002

Barefooters
Jun 26, 2010
Last night was my 1st barefoot "run" (if you can even call it that). I decided to follow the "lose the shoes" plan that I saw at rw. 1/4mile sure is short, but it felt good. the only thing that really stuck out that I need to work on is my forefoot landings. It felt like when I was landing, my forefoot was out in front of my body and making an abrupt landing. I don't think that I was sticking my foot forward... but maybe.

Either way, it was good to start! Mike

Yeah, Mikee!  Congrats on

Yeah, Mikee! Congrats on your first and most memorable barefoot run!

Hooray for your first

Hooray for your first barefoot run! You'll figure out your natural form with time. Don't over-analyze and just let your body do what it was meant to do :)

I always imagine that I'm a predator stalking/hunting my prey and that mental image helps a lot.

Nice job Mike,

Nice job Mike, beware...you'll soon be hooked and will never want to put a pair of running shoes on again. Happy trails!

Hey Mike, today was my first

Hey Mike, today was my first barefoot run. I think I need to work on my forefoot landings also, as I bruised both feet in the middle of the ball of the foot.
puzzled.png
Sidelined again.
sad.png

Levi

Hey halfofjess, I think

Hey halfofjess, I think I figgured out what happened with me was trying to correct my form while barefoot. You gave some good advice, and once I heal from the bone bruises, I will follow it. Thanks!

Levi

Levi, lift and place, lift

Levi, lift and place, lift and place...think lightly.

Hi Levi!!!  Glad you made

Hi Levi!!! Glad you made it over
wavesmile.gif

I had to make a lot of form corrections when I started barefoot, although my best guide was running on slightly sore feet :) You learn fast what part of the foot you are landing on too hard. The roughest surface you can stand will help too, there is no way you will make a hard heel landing on rocks. Eventually it all fell into place, but it took a while, just be patient!

gravel is a good teacher if

gravel is a good teacher if you can stand it. I love concrete the best, not much arond here though. People don't believe in sidewalks much unless it's a new upscale neighborhood. Congrats guys on the barefoot runs. I bruised bottom of my right foot when I first started too.

Ugh at gravel. It's...no. I

Ugh at gravel. It's...no. I don't feel at one with the earth when I run on gravel. I just feel annoyed and slightly pained.

Definitely think about treading lightly. I always just imagine like my feet are kissing the ground. That helps a ton :) But seriously. Just go out there and have fun.

You rebel, you!

You rebel, you!

mikee002, don't forget to

mikee002, don't forget to keep your knees bent. This will help you keep your feet under you. With bent knees it is much more difficult to get your foot far enough out in front to heel strike.

btw, welcome to barefoot running! :)

miker wrote:mikee002, don't

miker said:
mikee002, don't forget to keep your knees bent. This will help you keep your feet under you. With bent knees it is much more difficult to get your foot far enough out in front to heel strike.

btw, welcome to barefoot running! :)

Wow Miker... you raised this thread from the dead! I've actually put the barefoot adventure on hold and went with a very minimal shoe (inov-8 flite 195). I didn't have the patience to go all barefoot and start out so slow, plus I was always real sore in the foot region! I'm currently training for a trail marathon followed by a trail 50k and that wouldn't have been possible barefoot. I have been putting on my VFF's for the last couple miles of my long weekend runs and so far so good... I'll continue to build up miles like that and even throw in some barefoot stretches when the trail is friendly enough.

Thanks for the advice too!