1st run at Bull Mtn.

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by dlodwn, Dec 31, 2010.

1. dlodwn

dlodwn Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I wanted to explore some of the mtn trails near my home here in Dahlonega so I looked at the mtn. bike trails at Bull & Jake Mountains. I figured I would run an hour in and turn around so I thought I would try the Bull Mountain trail. I drove in to the parking lot worrying that that I might get stuck on the muddy winding road to the parking lot that still had some snow and ice on it. I parked in the empty parking lot and put on my hoodie, gloves and VFF's. The night before I printed out a detailed map of the trail system so I would have some sort of idea on how to get in and out safely. It starts out on a forest service road to the bull mountain trail 223. The service road was nice and squishy and soft which I enjoyed but once I hit the actual trail things got a little rougher. The trail starts out at about 1600ft and on my little run rose up to about 2400 butt kicking ft. I figure I did about 10 miles total but my feet and calf’s felt like much more than 10 miles. This is going to take some time to get used to these hills. I found that the roots and rocks, mostly on the downhill sections really beat my feet up. I did trip once and had a nice little sliding fall and I also had a pretty good swearing induced toe stub. I'm wonder if my feet are too sensitive for banging against the balls of my feet or if I'm supposed to walk down these sections? Has anybody else found that downhill roots/rocks are causing pain? Do my feet need to just toughen up? I will be returning to the hills as soon as possible and may take on the service roads for an easier run to explore more of these magnificent hills in my back yard. I look forward to getting with other hill runners soon

2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

We do have some members in your area, dlodwn. Hopefully, they will have received your message via email as I did and be able to coordinate a run with you.

Otherwise, you can post in the regular forums for more discussion on the topic.

Welcome to the BRS!

TJ

3. Jason Crain

Jason Crain Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Hey there.

1) There are some people up there. You're not alone. I know it's a bit of a drive, but BF Rev is over in Suwanee, which is a drive, but closer than us ITP folk.

2) I've hurt my knees, feet, etc. with downhills on roots/rocks/you name it. The trick is to just pay attention. If you can walk for the rest of the day (albeit with a little pain) you're fine. If you can't walk, or you're limping, walk down until you get toughened up a bit.

3) Thanks so much for the review! I try to run at Amicalola every now and then. I'll let you know the next time I'm around.

4. Alanindahlonega

Alanindahlonega Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Hey, we are the Dahlonega people they speak of.

I am 49 and only started running a year ago.80% VFF/20% BF...I usually only log three 5K's per week (30 mins) in the summer and hike with backpack (weighted) in the winter. I usually stick to Yahoola Park, but have been known to make little trips to the Appal Trail near Woody Gap, south to Ram Rock. The Trail around Suwanee Mt in Cumming was pretty feet friendly too. I spend alot of time in the Chattahoochie Forest hiking and exploring.

Here's my running profile.

http://runkeeper.com/user/AlaninDahlonega/profile

Now, You are probably better paired with my son. He lives life barefoot and logs many 10+ mile runs per week barefoot. He can be reached at barefoottyler.com.

5. barefoottyler

barefoottyler Barefooters
    1. Georgia

Good writeup. I look forward to running with you(if possible) when my knee heals a bit more.

Running down those rocky hills involves some skill. The best thing to do as a beginner is to go down like you are skiing down a slope, as seen in this video at 4:21 by our Jason Robillard. [video=youtube_share;OFEHuXzkxgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFEHuXzkxgA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Your feet will toughen, but it seems like you are going pretty far with not very much trail experience. Maybe try doing shorter runs on the rough terrain and listen to your feet!

Best of luck,

Barefoot Tyler

6. dlodwn

dlodwn Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I went back to Bull/Jake Mtn yesterday and had a great running experience. I did a shorter run with half being on the forest service road. This time the trails were fantastic, I just took my time and slowed down a bit more on those down hills. Also most of these trails were just a smooth as silk with very little rocks/roots and lots of nice squishy mud. Best part of this route was coming out of the woods to an opening with a long single trail flanked by tall grass that led to the top of a dam. I stopped there for a drink of water and snack. I will be back to this route again soon.

beta.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/26577590