1st half marathon

Maupuia

Barefooters
Jun 14, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
So I run a half marathon yesterday. It was the longest I've ever run and, I worked out, my first race in 33 years! I ran in VFF KSOs.

Feet felt/feel pretty good, except for a couple of blisters. But they were existing blisters I ran with, so... Surprisingly, my calfs feel fine. Legs are a bit sore today, but overall better than I expected.

Some things I found out:

- Yes, you do get nipple burn!
- Starting slow to leave something for the finish is a good thing
- You can run through a little pain and start to feel better again
- Virtually no one runs barefoot (saw 1 person - 5,000 in all the various races) and very few in VFFs

Am already plotting next race - a trail one. That's good, right? :)

Mike

Reactions: Sid and Colin
Mike,
Congrats on your race. I its Rik from Utah I have been running bf for about a year and a half. It has been rewarding and fun. I just completed a relay race all bf and I did see a few in VFFs and I did not see any others besides my self that were barefoot. Do you have another race planned and if so when and how long. I am looking for some advice on a marathon and training tips.

Congrats, Mike!

Congrats! First races are really exciting, and first races in a min shoe even moreso.

Think "elasto plasts" or the Kiwi equivalent. That's the only way I know for sure to avoid the dreaded nipple burn. No, I guess a lot of runners use bras, but short of that, try plasters.

bandaid.jpg

...and the best way to prep for a trail run is to run some trails. Look for hard up and down bits to really get your legs working. That's the big difference between trails and roads hereabouts. The trails are much rougher and have wicked climb / descents. Also, throw out your expectations for times for any trail running. Focus on finishing intact. The posted lengths have very little to do with what you can expect for a finishing time, unless you get to run the same course more than once. Oh, yes, and don't be surprised to find yourself walking up aforementioned steep inclines. You'll see.

Reactions: Bare Lee
What's wrong with a Man Bra? I don't get you guys. Just wear it! Remember the episode on Seinfeld where Kramer comes up with the Man Bra? Hysterical. But that's no reason you all can't try it yourself!

Reactions: scedastic
Congrats!

Have to say I haven't needed the sticking plasters yet (have run 1/2 marathon distance and slightly beyond) so this joy still awaits; of course, running barechested would obviate the problem too, eh?

:barefoot:

exciting....=)
keep us posted on future races and results!

Ja, shirtless works fine, too. I think it's winter down in NZ now, though. I tend to go just a bit more formal for races, usually, at least to start. I have taken off my shirt during a race , last July, I believe it was, but I think I still had the plasters on beneath it, so I wasn't actually barechested.

heh, heh - forgot about the seasonal difference :oops:

Still, some of my happiest running memories are running through Grünewald in Berlin in summer with the hood down, so to speak. Got some odd looks, but that was probably due to my unattractive midriff...

I always thought that race numbers meant the end of bare-chested running for races at least, but then I noticed those elastic number holders - if summer ever actually happens here this year, I'll be bare-bare next time out.

Hey, thanks everyone!

Yeah, winter here. I started out the race in a jacket but was able to drop that with my wife who was waiting at 1/2 way point to cheer me on.

I can promise that what I will never, ever do is wear the man-bra under the tshirt and then take the tshirt off during a race to run bare-chested and man-bra-ed. NEVER. EVER.

Reactions: Footsie
Hey Mike!

I am training for my first Half late september. And... part of the training is an actual half-marathon August 12th!!
I am currently following everything to the letter but nevertheless I am scared :)
Thing is, the farthest I went up to now is 14km out of the 21...
Before your attempt, what was your training looking like?

I run with my Komodo since about a year now.

Cheers!

Pat

What's wrong with a Man Bra? I don't get you guys. Just wear it! Remember the episode on Seinfeld where Kramer comes up with the Man Bra? Hysterical. But that's no reason you all can't try it yourself!
I run in a sports bra and those running skirts. I challenge all you men to run in a man bra and sport kilt. Can't beat the look nor the comfort, fellas!