180 Cadence: When and Why You Should Ignore the Rule

I think cadence evolves on its own. No doubt that 180 is a great starting point but as has been mentioned a "lot" lately it is a variable. I do agree though that my barefoot form improved as I picked up my cadence from when I started this journey. If one listens to his or her body it will lead them to discover what works for them. 30 years ago when I started running semi serious again, one of the guys I worked with started running as well. We lived in different parts of the city so we did not run together until a race somewheres. His leg turnover was fast, if I had to guess I would say it had to be about 200+. It seem twice as fast as mine at that time. We finished a 20k in about the same time and a little later while having a beer I mentioned to him that I would like to have a turn over like him. He laughed and replied that he wished he had my stride length at that time. No magic formula, work with what you have and keep the good form, keeps you from being hurt. Just my 2 cents worth of dribble. :)

Reactions: Bare Lee
When I started barefoot running I focused on this number and tried to get close to it. It felt slightly weird somewhat aggravated my knee tendonitis because I was changing my stride trying to hit a goal.

When I started running again recently...I threw that number out of my head and just ran...

Reactions: Bare Lee
It is a feedback of running technique. There is more to the story as to how someone attains injury free running. Using the number without understanding how it relates to the whole process is at best a magic solution and at worse one could be injured by just trying to run at 180 cadence.

I had laugh at the part about counting both feet. When I first started I used a stationary bike at the gym to get a feel for a 180cadence. However the bikes measure rpm. I must of looked pretty silly trying to get the thing up to 180 rpm before I remembered the r stood for revolution.

My cadence has increased since taking up barefoot running. It would have been much slower in my former heel striking days. I have timed it ever now and again and it does seem to come in at around 180 when I'm in my aerobic zone. If I start to increase my cadence my heart rate starts to rise which would be expected as the blood have to be pumped to the muscles faster as they work at a faster rate.

I found it was a useful eye-opener. Something you shouldn't spend more than 5 minutes on. I set a metronome, ran at 180 and said "wow this feels better". Then I quickly adjusted to something I am more comfortable with that feels even better than 180 (no idea what it is, haven't measured). I think for someone just starting out it would be useful to show them what 180 feels like, and direct them to find something they feel comfortable with that is close to it, but it shouldn't be prescribed as "THE" cadence.

I think I did too much reading about form when I first started (not like I am a veteran now or anything) and it got me running too much in my head. I almost feel like concepts like cadence, foot strike, and the like should be introduced over time. It's too much to keep track of when starting off.

I don't think about any of it anymore, I just check in from time to time while I am running and make adjustments if they are needed, and that was a conscious decision I made.

During the first several months of barefoot and minimal running, I found running with 180+ cadence music to be a helpful tool in retraining my running form. Previously, I had been a major overstrider and heel striker. It was difficult to shorten the stride, even barefoot, since my body had been used to this one way. Perhaps had I just kept with it, I would have figured it out eventually, I don't know. It certainly felt helpful to have a guideline, awkward as it may have been.
Since I started building mileage again this summer, I have ditched all audio and just run at whatever cadence feels right, focusing on the upper body and legs for form checks when I feel fatigue setting in. I haven't been having any trouble as I up my mileage, so I assume whatever my cadence is at now works. Maybe this would have worked in the beginning?
Keep discussing this topic though, as I have a few friends who are starting to try bf running (and/or bf running 'form' in shoes) and I'm always at a loss as to what to tell them. Usually it's just "run like a silent ninja" or "watch that one video of mark cucuzella and run like that."

My cadence was really low when I ditched the shoes and it didn't feel at all natural to speed it up. I found it really hard work raising it, my legs just didn't want to move that fast, but it feels so much better now I have. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened without me forcing it. I'm now working at increasing it further so that I can play around with it a bit & figure out what works best for me (feel I need to be able to comfortably run at higher cadences to test it out) - so far the more I speed it up the better it feels. I'm not one for much running technology so I just pick a song of suitable tempo to have running through my head.
I also find it useful to have something to focus on for days when I feel sluggish & uncoordinated, previously I just slogged through.
So all in all for me it was a great rule as a beginner but as with most rules I always assumed it was there to be stretched.

I am sure your advice is good and I appreciate your posts.

Heart rate, pace, cadence, I've never kept track of 'em even when I ran with shooze on (1972-2009) Probably should but it just seems to take the fun out of runnin'. Nevertheless, last week I went out for a run intending to check my cadence but quickly realized I could not since I don't wear a watch. I tried the: one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi method, but could not say that and count steps at the same time. I believe my cadence is >60 cause to say "one mississippi" take a long time,... about a second!

Seriously, This is my third year running completely barefooted (how long do we have to say "completely barefooted?) and I have been successful with concentrating on form and feedback from my feet.

Heart rate, pace, cadence, I've never kept track of 'em even when I ran with shooze on (1972-2009) Probably should but it just seems to take the fun out of runnin'. Nevertheless, last week I went out for a run intending to check my cadence but quickly realized I could not since I don't wear a watch. I tried the: one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi method, but could not say that and count steps at the same time. I believe my cadence is >60 cause to say "one mississippi" take a long time,... about a second!

Seriously, This is my third year running completely barefooted (how long do we have to say "completely barefooted?) and I have been successful with concentrating on form and feedback from my feet.

I work with lots of people, many of which cannot rely on the sensory feedback loop. Teaching cues are necessary in those cases, and the "180 rule" is helpful to some.

Reactions: dutchie53

Ignorance is blizz until one is injured. Be happy knowing that there is more education out there if/when you need it :)

Jason,

Fantastic post, right on the money. I seemed to recall, as you stated, that the 180 rule was what professional (elite as you say) runners run at. From there, I hypothesized that 180 was the most efficient for 6'0" 150lb runners that run 5:00-6:00/mile for distances up to marathon. Great starting point, so where does that leave you and me? Just as you say, to keep us from over striding... It's easy to slow down and take longer strides, and then start heel striking if there's something beneath the feet.

I thought the article was spot on.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test