100-Up? How about 100 squats?

I think they'd be great! 

I think they'd be great! Picture this:

Squat Minor - Do them slowly and pay close attention to form.

Squat Major - Do them as fast as you can and still keep form spot on.

Just stop if you start to deviate from perfection ..

That way one would get the strength and the fast firing muscles too!

Nice article/commentary on

Nice article/commentary on squats. I always loved squats. There is something primordial about them (for me). They give me a sense of great power, confidence and stability when done correctly. I might throw some in with my cross training. Thanks for reminding me about this great exercise...

Joe

Good for mobility too.  I

Good for mobility too. I just did heavy box squats yesterday and afterwards I could touch my toes with straight legs. Haven't been able to do that since I did yoga regularly.

One of my favorite squats for core stability is the barbarian squat. Plus it looks cool and makes you feel badass. I'm not a huge bosu ball fan because it's not much of a real-life instability for your core. When are you going to find yourself on an inflatable ball? Probably never. Unless you have a thing for bouncy castles.

Are you judging my past time

Are you judging my past time of hanging out in bouncy castles :-D? honestly the reason I like it is I can feel my abs engage when I'm doing things that they probably should be engaged for anyway. The balancing just forces it to happen where my concentration fails me. Plus I'm trying to work on balance so I get better at this slacklinging thing that I've been attempting and failing at.

How about kicking it up a

How about kicking it up a notch? I started to do the 100 squats the other day and got to 30 when I got bored I guess. They were only just beginning to burn. I figured I could go to at least 50 easily but this was a non-run day and I hadn't planned for the time it would take and was late for work. So this morning I thought "what about one-legged squats?" Now that was a good quick workout! I did 2 sets of 10 for each leg. I didn't have perfect form and I didn't get my butt lower than my knees but my legs are really feeling it. I didn't look at all that came up in the search but this guy http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/tutorials/38 has a lot of info.

Plant Based Caveman

Plant Based Caveman said:
Yikes! Randy... I couldn't do those. I can smell Doctor bills, prescriptions, surgery, hot/cold paks and rehab already.... I'll leave those to the studs and studettes..... :)

Joe

You know Joe, I think I have heard that before as folks I was passing realized I was running barefoot.
smile.png

Gracia y paz,

A

I'm with you Joe, for me

I'm with you Joe, for me personally and no one else, I can see myself ending up in the hospital as I'm more than a little clumsy and have bad knees from my military days.

Just wrote a post on this

Just wrote a post on this very subject. I'm actually going to do an experiment on myself. I usually do these on accident after much heavy libations. Anywho, I'm going to do the 100-up challenge as listed by Justin over at birthdayshoes. Then I'm going to do the 100-squat challenge given to us by Mr. Maplegrove up there. Then see which was more beneficial. If you are interested in what I hope to gain from all this you can read my post here. Or click the link in my signature.

I think the 100-squat is going to be better in the long run. But we'll see after I'm done with them.

Puff

The only thing Puff is that

The only thing Puff is that the 100-up challenge might influence your result in the 100 squat challenge and vice versa. Not that we're terribly scientific over here or anything.

Oh I'm sure it'll effect it.

Oh I'm sure it'll effect it. However, I don't think the degree of effect will be huge. And besides, self experimentation is never scientific anyway...Although, I'm wondering if the onion would nominate me as scientist of the year for it?
glasses.png

The squat is the most

The squat is the most beneficial exercise one can do to increase overall body strength. I just started a new program about a month ago where you use 40-50% of your max squat weight, and do 5 sets of ten reps 3 times weekly for 4 weeks. The next 4 weeks do sets of twelve, the next 4 weeks do sets of 15, the final 4 weeks do sets of 20. A sixteen week program where the weight never increases, just the volume. It's alot of squats. I have problems sqatting heavy, due to hip issues, so lighter weight higher volume seems to feel right for me. As for proof, ALL my lifts have gone up in weight. The squat releases lots of hormones to help you grow muscle, those quads are the biggest muscle groups on your body. Since doing them, my endurance has really gone up, recovery time gone down. Body weight has gone up in the past year due to the muscle I have built, but even though I am slower when running, I fell much stronger and less fatigued. A tradeoff I guess, but hey it's how you look and feel right? Sorry to ramble on, just tellin y'all what it is doing for me. Now go squat and eat.

Aubrey