10 Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I started my barefoot journey back in September of 2009 after years of running with orthotics and heavy shoes. The combination of running with the weight of those things made my running over those previous 9 years pretty uninspiring and painful.
    I always had shin pain, that was just a given. I would run 1km then stop to rub my shins to try and get the numbing pain to go away. I also would get achilles tendon pain that would alternate from right leg to left leg and back over the course a few months.
    Back in the 1970's and 1980's I ran in much lighter shoes that had a slip last that meant they were flexible, I didn't have many problems when running back then. I did not make the connection between the change in shoes from light and flexible to stiff, cushioned and orthotics to the miserable running experience, I just assumed it was an age thing.
    What luck it was that I picked up Born to Run that year, if not for that book I doubt I would now still be running and enjoying it.
    I threw the Brooks Beast shoes and orthotics out in Oct 2009 and gradually rebuilt my running style, strengthened my ankles and since then it has been mainly good. I haven't had shin pain for over 9 years and I enjoy running again. The knee injury that kept me sidelined for 2 years was an undiagnosed skeletal imbalance that had one leg longer than the other due to hip misalignment. You have to find the right people to work out the underlying causes of injuries and not those that just treat the superficial symptoms.
    10 Years on and I's still running and looking forward to the next 10 years of bare feet on the ground.

Cheers

Neil

bfsailor, c17, Pablo Miguel and 2 others like this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Congrats, Neil! You've made a lot of progress. I'm proud of you. :barefoot:

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Janne likes this.
  3. Pablo Miguel

Pablo Miguel
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

Congratulations Neil!
    It's great to read stories like yours, I'm pretty sure most members can relate and have similar stories.

How many of us gave up using conventional running shoes after reading Born to Run?
    Hey TJ, could be a good topic for a survey...

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Thanks TJ and Pablo
    Like many things in life, persistence is the key. A very large percentage of people would give up when things don't go as expected. I had plenty of setbacks along the way but you have to focus on the end goal and put those hours in.
    That is why it is hard to get others enthusiastic as only a small number of people will have that drive and vision to get them where the want to go.
    I also do trend trading in stocks and find people are not prepared to grind out the small gains over weeks and years, they want it as fast as possible.
    You have to have a disciplined personality to either take losses or go for a run in the rain and cold (I am a bit soft sometimes and will sit it out).
    I enjoy running where some see it as a necessary evil to stay fit. If you make your running enjoyable you are more likely to keep it going.

Neil

5. Pablo Miguel

Pablo Miguel
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

Couldn't agree more with you!

6. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

It could. Feel free to start one. There's a poll option when creating a thread.

BTW, I was running barefoot before BTR was released. ;)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Pablo Miguel likes this.
  7. Larry

Larry
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Congrats Neil!