Zumba: What next?

Nyal

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Hey Z,

As you know I am out six weeks with a fracture. I have two weeks left of rest, but have to know some things. I hope you will help me.

1. After the 6 weeks, will my soles be tender?

2. Should I start with 1 k and add a k each outing until I reach my limit?

3. What are the chances of reinjury?

4. Tell me more wisdom things..

Thanx

I'm not the Zumbress, but I

I'm not the Zumbress, but I can answer one of those questions...

Yes, your soles may be a little tender. I noticed when I was away from running those 3-1/2 months, my soles lost about 65% of their conditioning (though some of the early sensations of starting to run barefoot again were extreme due to the cryosurgery on the nerves of both feet). I'm still working my way back to where I was before. I'm up to 8 miles, when I used to run approx. 10 at a time with a long run of 17 miles.

hmmm, words of wisdom...when

hmmm, words of wisdom...when hanging your head out of a moving car, keep your mouth closed:p

Buggar about the sf Spurv, what do they have your foot in right now? Are you booted up? I had mine in a "makeshift" cast for 2 weeks ( a stiff soled shoe) and for the remaining 4 weeks, just kept pressure off of it (though still did foot stretches and strengthening exercises...like flexing, curling, splaying toes). I did lose some conditioning, though sort of rebelled against docs orders to continue to wear the shoes all day every day after 2 weeks and pretty much kicked the shoes off and never looked back. SO, I was barefoot and still walked everywhere barefoot. I say, if you are wearing shoes now, more so than before (or a boot) you'll lose a bit of conditioning but not much. Just make sure to get in as much barefoot time as you can, risk free of course.

I think where you start off, depends on where you left off at. IMO. I was at a half marathon distance, so felt like 1mi was a good starting point (which went over very well) and slowly built mileage from there. Nearly 2mo since starting to run post recovery, I'm up to 6mi and continuing to slowly add mileage as to avoid reaggrivating things. I think that the risk of refracturing the same spot is pretty minimal; though over-compensating with other muscles or opposite foot, for weakness/atrophy in your injured foot poses some concern. Make sure to avoid that if you can, thus taking it slowly. If you aren't training for anything, I see no rush in making your way back up to where you were pre-injury. If you feel comfortable with 1k, then start there, see if it's a good fit and/or make adjustments accordingly.

Make sure to get at least a day of rest between runs, if not two (which is probably better). Since I only run 3 days a week, this was easy for me. though I was back to Zumba full force, which probably poses similar impact as running. Take it easy and take the time to listen to those twinges, aches, pains. Your sf is a minor setback and a lesson learned.