Zems/Socks Before Barefoot in a Marathon???

BrunoRuns

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
I promise this will be my last selfish, whining, marathon topic. I've decided to go ahead a run the full Marathon in Charlottesville next Saturday so I'm fully committed.

My question is raised by looking at the weather forecast and considering the early 6:30am start time. My feet are in great condition and have been in some cold conditions, but at 6:30am we might be below freezing and I don't think I'll be able to swing that. BUT I was just talking to another BF runner who used hurache's for the first 10-12 miles and then went BF and it didn't seem to effect his feet and got him though just fine.

I was thinking about trying socks or my Zems in the beginning (don't own hurache's) till it warmed up and then ditch them for BF. I've never done a run BF and another foot covering ever. It's always been 1 or the other. I remember reading how having shoes or other coverings can make your feet soft and wear down your pads and make it harder to go BF after and I just wanted to see if there were any stories or suggestions out there.

I wore socks at my last marathon till I got 5 feet from the start line and threw them to the side, but the morning temp was in the 40's, 10+ degrees higher than it might be next week.

Thanks in advance.

What is the predicted temp.

What is the predicted temp. for that morning? I personally would wear socks in the coral, or double up if you need to. I can imagine being any colder than 30 degrees. I would lose the socks right from the beginning, I am sure it will warm up nicely.

I've ran in 25*F weather

I've ran in 25*F weather before and it is a little cold at first until they numb up then you're fine

I used to do combo zem/bf

I used to do combo zem/bf runs all the time. My feet would go numb in the morning so I'd wear them for a few miles till I warmed up. I never had a problem with my feet sofening and I have pretty sweaty feet. Most the time I went sockless with the zems though because I didn't get split toe socks until later and I didn't really liked how tight they were once I did get them. As long as its not wet I bet the zems are fine on their own. Or for that matter as long as its not wet you could probably just wear some socks. I used to get about 10 miles a pair on dirt stony paths out of very very thin socks (albeit by mile 5 they had some massive holes in the balls of the foot but they still kept my toes warm). But if its going to be wet maybe you should rush order some huaraches, socks and zems are both sort of miserable in the wet and cold.

Right now, it could be as low

Right now, it could be as low as 30 at 6:30am. 10 day doesn't quite get there yet. I'd like to get some huaraches, but not sure if I can get them in time and use them enough to break them in.

I have worn socks in the corral and if it is super cold, I might stick with them.

Thanks for the comments on the socks an ZEM's. It might be a game time decision. I'll prob run with the ZEM's tucked into my belt because I am a bit "undertrained" as it is but I will be taking it slow and relaxed, ready to have a good time.

Bruno, you should read Angie

Bruno, you should read Angie Bee's blog on the Des Moines Marathon. I recall she had a situation similar to yours, where the temps were very cold before race start. I think she wore socks and sandals right before race start.

http://www.barefootangiebee.com/2010/10/barefoot-des-moines-marathon-recap-its.html

You will definitely benefit from doing some miles in shoes to warm your feet up. That's what I did this winter to run on snow, and the shoe miles warm your feet up nicely.

I've read several people

I've read several people saying they've used socks and/or combination of socks and something else just to get them through the beginning of races and in the corral on freezing cold days, Angie being one of them. I wore my VFFs for the corral and 1st mile of a half marathon that was in 33 degree Farenheit weather in November. Worked well, I also finished that half faster than any other I had run, but that could have been because it was so cold, I wanted to get it over with.

Ted says, "A numb foot is a dumb foot." You don't want your feet to go numb, if you can help it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test