Suggestion You better agree with "TJ"

Discussion in 'Site Issues & Suggestions' started by Ito, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ito Guest

Or else, your account will be deleted and then, she will answer to you.

For the record, Karuiashi never asked to be deleted. It is a lie to make believe otherwise. So it seems to me important to tell all the truth to help everyone to make his own opinion.

Now TJ, you can also delete my account.
    You want to "do good in the world" ? Begins boycott Nike !
  2. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    And this is how I answered Ito's PM to me:

There are several things here you don't understand, Ito, so please give me a moment to open your mind as to why I trademarked the Barefoot Runners Society.

First, the BRS is an LLC registered in my name in the state of Georgia, USA. I am responsible for it. I am required by USA law to set our organization up this way since we have to pay taxes to the government. Yes, I'm sure you don't agree, but that's the way it is here. Would you rather I go to jail? If someone were to use our name, and there already is an organization doing so, then we could be liable by law for what transpires with that group. If I don't trademark ownership of the name, then I can be sued over something someone else does, or I can be sued for ownership of the name itself. If that were to happen, and in the real world, it happens all the time, then we would loose not only the name Barefoot Runners Society but the organization itself. I am protecting not only myself but all of you.

Another thing, I don't receive any money and never have for the thousands and thousands of hours I have put into creating and managing the BRS. I do this because I have a condition, Morton's Neuroma, that was caused by the running shoes I had been wearing. I found I had no choice but to run barefoot, as I could not run in shoes any longer. I knew there were other people out there who would be suffering in the same way that I do, so I created the BRS in hopes to not only talk to them over the internet and share stories but to run with them, and hopefully in the process, bring others to healthier running. Sometimes, but not often, it's a thankless job. We make a modest income from member donations, tee shirt sales, and the like to cover our expenses. Running the BRS isn't free. It costs money.

Also, karuiashi asked to have his account deleted, not that I hadn't seriously considered doing it myself. My source tells me that he has gotten lots of complaints about karuiashi being unruly and disrupting the vibe in the France Chapter. Our members don't need negativity; they need support. Apparently, he was unable to contribute positively to the conversations, as I have learned, so it was best he go elsewhere. So, his account wasn't deleted because he disagreed; it was deleted because he was arguing with everyone about nearly everything and bringing down the good work we do here at the BRS, which is bring a healthy, alternative to shod running. This last conversation with him was the final straw.

In the four years I have run this organization, I have only banned three people. Karuiashi was one of them.

Did you even read what I posted in the thread about all this? If not, please do. http://thebarefootrunners.org/threa...y-est-désormais-une-marque.14555/#post-136949

AND ADDED: There are no stakeholders in the BRS, as karuiashi stated. We are not a publicly traded company.

3. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    And this is how I responded to the tread questioning the registered trademark"

One of my fine French speaking/writing friends, please translate for me...

Thank you all for your fair responses.

First, it's best to "Watch Forum" the Announcements forum (upper-right) and then choose the Language Chooser under the Globe to read any announcements that may come up. It's a good idea to also read the About page on the site (lower right).

Whether karuiashi is in love with the USA or not, I could care less. I have, however, taken to heart his wishes and deleted his account. We don't need unnecessary disruption on the forums when we are trying to do good in the world by leading people to happier, healthier running, which is our only intention.

Here's the response I gave to karuiashi in the Announcements forum, and you will note, it shut him down pretty quickly: http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/barefoot-runners-society-is-now-a-registered-trademark.14540/

I wrote:
    You would think we were a community, and that's the way I STRIVE to keep it. Ask anyone. Can you tell otherwise that the BRS is not a community?

BUT there are some folks out there who don't think of us as a community but a niche market to be profited off of while compromising our values, our purpose, our mission, and all of what WE stand for, and THAT is what I am protecting ALL of us against. I only make decisions that are in YOUR best interest. You must trust me.

The registered trademark is filed with the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office):

We operate as an organization, not a business, but the government could care less which, so the thinking goes:

Time and time again, small business owners get hit with a cease and desist letter from another company they have never heard of -- often located in another state. The out-of-state company demands that the local company change its name or face a federal trademark infringement lawsuit.

Now the small business owner is faced with two very expensive choices-- fight a federal lawsuit or rebrand its products and services after using them for years.
    This scenario -- which happens every day -- is easily avoided. By trademarking, businesses can protect their brands and confidently promote their products and services. ~Borghese Legal, Ltd.

NOTE: We do have a product...our tee shirts, stickers, and merchandise, all used to raise funds to operate the BRS...ONLY.

The benefits of having a registered trademark as compared to a common law trademark include:
    • Constructive notice nationwide of the trademark owner's claim.
    • More evidence of the ownership of the trademark.
    • Jurisdiction of federal courts may be invoked.
    • Registration can be used as a basis for obtaining registration in other countries.
    • Registration may be filed with the Customs Service to prevent importation of trademark infringing foreign goods.
    To that, karuiashi simply responded:

Okay, I understand what is the problem and why you have registered BRS as a brand. One more thing, will you change CGU ?

Pretty simple response from him considering he had a lot to say on the subject otherwise.

Yes, the USA and France and other countries are all quite different from one another, and we all must learn to live within them by obeying our laws, yet protecting ourselves, YOU and ME, from others who would do us harm. Am I or anyone else really to fault for this? Of course not.

4. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    And yes, for the record, as far as Google can tell me, karuiashi wanted his account deleted:

Since we can not delete the account by yourself on this forum, and as I disagree with the policy that leads BTJ, so I decide to take a distance with all that and continue the adventure elsewhere. On my own blog, for example.

And when I emailed him to confirm, he said, "Okay, I don't care."

Sounds like I did the right thing!

5. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Fun, all?

6. Christian Barefooteur Chapter Presidents
    1. Française -...
    2. Belgium
    3. Deutschland-Ger...
    4. North Carolina
    5. Presidents

Message Count:
    Good evening everyone,

I'm going through the various threads to find out what happened...

Will follow up shortly.

Christian

7. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Just thought I should share here as well:

Interestingly, just checking on karuiashi's blog, http://courirpiedsnus.blog.free.fr, I found this statement:

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 France License.

The service provider of his blog also has a Legal Information section that includes: ...

This product uses Cinavia technology to limit the use of unauthorized copies of some movies and videos available on the market and their soundtracks. When an illegal use or reproduction prohibited is detected, a message is displayed and playback or playback stops. More information about Cinavia technology are available from the Information Centre online consumers Cinavia on visithttp :/ / www.cinavia.com. For additional information about Cinavia by mail, send your request with your address: Centre Cinavia Consumer Information, PO Box 86851, San Diego, CA, 92138, United States. This product includes a proprietary technology licensed from Verance Corporation and is protected by United States Invention Patent 7,369,677 and other U.S. patents and international issued and pending allocation. It is also protected by copyright and trade secret aspects of this technology. Cinavia is a registered Verance Corporation. Copyright 2004-2012 Verance Corporation. Copyright Verance. Reverse engineering or disassembly of this technology are prohibited. Copyright 2004-2012 Verance Corporation. Cinavia ® is a registered trademark of Verance Corporation. Protected by U.S. Patent 7,369,677 and worldwide patents issued and pending allocation under license Verance Corporation. All rights reserved.

So, where it's not okay for the BRS to trademark its name, it is okay for him and his service provider to do so. That sounds like a double standard to me. He says we are now creating a commodity and that his posts should not be marketed, but at the same time, for every poster to his blog, and for every post he creates on his service provider's server, he is doing the same. But here I am being judged for doing exactly what he has already done with his site and his service provider's site.

Hobbit likes this.
  8. Christian Barefooteur Chapter Presidents
    1. Française -...
    2. Belgium
    3. Deutschland-Ger...
    4. North Carolina
    5. Presidents

Message Count:
    Good evening everybody,

As president of BRS's French section, I knew both Karui Ashi and Ito. Karui Ashi I have met on several occasions IRL (In Real Life) and we've had the opportunity to discuss our respective outlooks on society, running and the meaning of life.

He is a passionate, outspoken, articulate barefoot athlete and blogger. He accompanied me last month on my historic circumvention of Paris, France, barefoot. Knowing Karui Ashi, I think the trademark ruckus was primarily attributable to cultural differences and the fact that the responsibility of a large community sometimes prompts unpopular actions by its leaders. Leadership is not a popularity contest... Karui Ashi may not have been willing to reconcile BRS's stance on shod running, with his own views on barefoot running, born out of personal experience.

To understand the challenges facing BRS, it is vital to read the "About" section. Trademarking the BRS logo and name is absolutely a necessary step to protect a growing community, in my opinion. Lacking a legal background, I can myself see how this step could be be misinterpreted. The process to protect the BRS name has been underway for some time, now. Given that BRS France has gained a fair number of new members recently (Ito and Karui Ashi for example) I probably did not communicate sufficiently on this project in recent months. Some of the responsibility for these events is mine, as president of the French section, and I apologize to Ito and Karui Ashi if they feel that have been unfairly treated.

Christian

dutchie53, Hobbit and Barefoot TJ like this.
  9. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Done and done.

THREAD LOCKED

Christian Barefooteur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.