World's Largest Barefoot Half Marathon

antyram

Barefooters
Nov 28, 2010
I am founder trustee of an Indian NGO by name "Barefoot Runners of India Foundation (BRIF)," whose aim is to promote barefoot running. BRIF is conducting the first ever Barefoot Half Marathon on 12th December, 2010, near Bombay in India.

There will be 300 runners, who will all run totally barefoot - no shoes, no sandals, no foot-gloves, no FiveFingers, for all the 21.1 km of the half marathon. In fact these boys relish running barefoot and wear shoes only reluctantly, if forced by trainers. Many of them had never used footwear entire life. They feel they can run faster barefoot. All these 300 runners hail from a single district in India. There are 600 plus districts in India, many of them with more hilly and rugged terrain. So we are sure, when we expand the scope of this run next year, we will harvest a good crop of the Indian Tarahumara.

This being the world's first barefoot half marathon run, we are also recording our claim with Guinness World Records under the category "Largest Barefoot Half Marathon". There is a retail sponsorship scheme, in which anyone can sponsor a runner by paying $50 at http://www.barefootrunnersindia.org/yesiwanttohelp.html

On facebook, we are available at www.facebook.com/barefootrunnersindia

I got this idea of barefoot marathon when I was running Marathon to Athens on October 31, 2010. There’s a statue of Pheidippedes on the route. As marathoners, we are all duplicating his miles. Are we imitating his style? Just look at his feet!

Welcome, Antyram!  Some of us

Welcome, Antyram! Some of us have been reading the news stories coming from your region about your upcoming barefoot running event and are excited for you and wish you all great success.

Please be sure to contact me at [email protected] should you write an event/race report we can share with our members. Please include lots of photos and details.

BTW, the Barefoot Runners Society has many international chapters but not one in India. Something for you to consider.

Yeah TJ, just applied for

Yeah TJ, just applied for the Indian chapter. And this was my justification for why I should be the organiser for the chapter:

I am organising the world's first barefoot half marathon wherein around 300 runners will run barefoot all the 21.1 km. on 12th December 2010, near Bombay. Guinness World Records (TM)has, at our request, opened a new record category "Largest Barefoot Half Marathon," which will be set a fortnight from now on. There is a huge barefoot population in India. In fact many running coaches have told me that their trainees want to run only barefoot, because it enhances speed. In a recent inter-collegiate event, 70 out of 75 participants in 10K ran barefoot. Pheidippedes has run his marathon barefoot. So no one else is a true marathoner, if he too doesn't make it barefoot. One may as well use skates. Once this race goes through successfully, I plan to take a contingent from India to Athens in 2011 to run the original distance in the original way - Barefoot

Sounds good.  I'll respond

Sounds good. I'll respond shortly. Thanks for contributing.

The date of the second India

The date of the second India barefoot half marathon has been announced. Sunday November 6th.

I hope to attend. Anyone planning to join me?