Winter running shoes!

Bill B

Barefooters
Dec 28, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Ok, can't do bare feet in the winter! I have a pair of Vivo Neo Trails, but this year they hurt my feet! They are the biggest ones Vivo makes. Looking more for traction! Any recommendations? Thanks!

$15 for Kigos on their website! Can't go wrong with that!
Last year my Neo Trails fit, this year they hurt my toes. Love the grip they have, that's what I'm after!

I have run with my same old Bikilas in cold and snow. Tomorrow I get to do the snow thing again, as we just got our first event with about 5 inches here (just west of Philly.)

I do supplement the coverage with knitted ankle covers.

Vibram makes other runner's versions with more traction like the Spyridon, I believe.

Have fun!

From a grip point of view the EL-X is near perfect for winter use, but the upper is a little mroe tight on my foot than I like for running.
I run thorughout the winter in either the seeyas or the spyridon,works for me down to -25C, colder than that and I begin considering a closed toebox.
The seeyas for anything up to light technical trails, on the nordic skiing trails and snowmobile trails the sypridon is optimal as, the seeya tend to slip off.

Reactions: Bill Brushey
Y
From a grip point of view the EL-X is near perfect for winter use, but the upper is a little mroe tight on my foot than I like for running.
I run thorughout the winter in either the seeyas or the spyridon,works for me down to -25C, colder than that and I begin considering a closed toebox.
The seeyas for anything up to light technical trails, on the nordic skiing trails and snowmobile trails the sypridon is optimal as, the seeya tend to slip off.

You sir are likely from a different planet!;) I got frost bite just reading your post! Can't do more than -5C in any VFF's!:((

Shorter distance, mild temps., dry = barefoot
Shorter distance, cold temps., dry = sandals with socks if needed or Sockwa G3
Mid distance, cold, wet or dry = New Balance MT110
Mid distance, cold, wet or dry, technical terrain = Altra Lone Peak
Long distance, cold, wet, snow running = New Balance MT110 winter boot - I've been stocking up on these at $46 a pair at 6pm.com. My only complaint is they don't come in wide (my MT110 are wide size)

i ran with my lontras today. they kept my feet warm w/out socks. toes were cold at first but warmed up in 1/2 hr. they don't have enough grip in ice as i had a spill just after warning someone that going up the hill was icy. i'm fine btw since i know you were so concerned.

i ran with my lontras today. they kept my feet warm w/out socks. toes were cold at first but warmed up in 1/2 hr. they don't have enough grip in ice as i had a spill just after warning someone that going up the hill was icy. i'm fine btw since i know you were so concerned.

I bought these in the summer, on sale, and have only tried them a few times...but I found them very stiff around the toes - do you feel the same, has this went away after enough usage?

On snow I've been using Vivobarefoot Evo II, a size larger than I need, as I wear them with thick wool socks. I still feel rocks/roots and the traction is fine where I run. Other than xero's in the summer, these are my new favorite shoes...mainly due to combination of lightweight/comfort/water-repellency. I still get decent ground feel and could remove the insoles too.

i put clothes on with the cold.

the shoes are getting a bit looser but are still tight. i'm sure you want winter shoes that way.

Ok, can't do bare feet in the winter! I have a pair of Vivo Neo Trails, but this year they hurt my feet! They are the biggest ones Vivo makes. Looking more for traction! Any recommendations? Thanks!
Too bad they hurt your feet Bill. I've been pretty happy with my Neo Trails. Great for fresh snow, not so good for patches of dry surface though. They become too much shoe then. I like the Vapor Gloves for relatively dry conditions, Vivo Neos for mixed dry surfaces and compacted snow or ice, and the Neo Trails for fresh snow. But today I'm running bare in the slush and compacted snow for as long as I can take it. My soles are itching for some stimulation.

I'm going home early to see if I can get my cohones sufficiently descended to go out for a run in the icy snow.

I have had the hardest time getting myself out to run lately. It's not the feet or clothing at issue. I just keep ending up taking a nap instead.

Maybe it the shortening day length or low hormones or who knows what.

Yawn...Oh-oh...

Y

You sir are likely from a different planet!;) I got frost bite just reading your post! Can't do more than -5C in any VFF's!:((
I have a lot of friends and colleagues whom would readily support that theory ;)
It has been confirmed though that I adapt quite well to cold temperatures ;)
I find the el-x is a near perfect arctic winter boot for day to day stuff (used a bikila LS last season), They look a little out of place paired with an expedition parka though, but it works for me :)

I find the el-x is a near perfect arctic winter boot for day to day stuff (used a bikila LS last season), They look a little out of place paired with an expedition parka though, but it works for me :)

If that's a Canada Goose Expedition parka I understand how the el-x could work for you :cool:

If that's a Canada Goose Expedition parka I understand how the el-x could work for you :cool:

Here you go (one of the last pictures of me wearing a normal pair of shoes actually):
p1260157588.jpg

But yep, I think it looks good with the el-x :)

I did manage to get myself out for a run this afternoon at about -5C. Here's what I learned:

1. Winter runs are much better appreciated after the fact. If there were some way not to think of them at all until after I've actually started, I'd do much better.

2. Running on frozen slushy, snowy, black icy, and intermittently salted surfaces does wonderful things for one's concentration. No day dreaming. no sloppy posture either, for that matter.

3. It is entirely possible to have sweat rolling down parts of one's anatomy whilst others are slowly solidifying. (I exaggerate only a bit on this one.)

If Vibrams are good enough for Mr. Duplo, they're darned well fine for me!

Run well all!

just so long as you didn't get icicles where the fruit hangs low. that sucks.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts