Windows 8!

Ok so it's not a BF related thread, but I assume most of us use computers.
I wonder if any of you have tried the new Windows OS.
Here's my experience.
I wanted a new laptop with Windows 7 (because I like it).
Staples said they had to send back the Windows 7 units. Ok so I went to Best Buy. They assured me that I would like Windows 8 (without touch screen). I bought an HP Envy. I spent all this week using it, I finally took it back because it is so frustrating. I've been using computers since Dos 3. The GUI should be getting more user friendly not harder. Best Buy offered to sign my wife and me up for classes to learn Windows 8. I don't want to go to school. The HP Envy seems like a good laptop, however I decided to return it.
If you are tempted to buy Windows 8 check out this rather long but funny video.
http://dottech.org/94027/this-hilarious-video-explains-why-windows-8-sucks-video/

Looks pretty bad. A tablet interface for a PC. That was my original impression of it. I did not realize that my impression was correct.

I was looking at ultrabooks. Then, just last night, my laptop all of a sudden informed me that my copy of windows was not genuine. Annoying popups that I may be a victim of software pirating and security essentials telling me that it was not going to protect my system any more. Finally after hours of investigation and trying to contact microsoft and toshiba, it turns out all I had to do was re-enter the product code that was on the bottom of the machine. So I decided not to go the ultrabook route. Afte seeing this video, I am glad I did not.

I like W7 ok otherwise. I have a mac and I find it more clumsy. I have had it for a while so it is not an issue of being unfamiliar with it. I think the smoothest OS experience so far is with Ubuntu. I unfortunately do development for Windows, but I don't really need to and can be selective in what I develop. So I probably will finish the projects I have on hand and not accept any more. I have been around since CP/M

Reactions: barefootn
That's freakin' hysterical! Goblin farts! Horny stick figures! Fork this! Loves it!

I bought my daughter a new laptop for school for Christmas and it had Windows 8 on it too. I got on it prior to wrapping it up so I could set up all the parental controls and was so incredibly lost and stuck it took me over 5 hours to get it figured out, that's with me googling it and calling Best Buy. Looks like Windows went and produced another turd, hard to believe but even worse than Vista. I had contemplated updating and buying a new laptop in the near future but as long as Windows 8 is the OS I am not going to. It's so hard to use, especially considering I am not a techy guy. Windows 7 is so easy to use and configure and do stuff that I can't for the life of me figure out why in the hell they would change that. Why do companies always change something that isn't broke and try to make them "better"? Rarely is the update ever better and it usually is more difficult and complicated that the average person like me can't figure out how to use them.

They were trying to copy Apple's GUI.

Anyhoo, I've got Windows 7, Vista, and XP, and I love them all (and I still have my original copies of the first DOS as well as the Tandy 1000 HX that still works!, and my 95 and 98 while we're at it). I don't have any trouble with any of them.

Oh, and I have 2000 on my son's computer. Now that one was CRAP!

Reactions: scedastic
If you are tempted to buy Windows 8 check out this rather long but funny video.
http://dottech.org/94027/this-hilarious-video-explains-why-windows-8-sucks-video/

oh man, he really put some effort into that! Love it :D

And Win 8? Hate it :yuck:

With Win 7, I thought, after thirty-odd years, they finally got an OS that doesn't suck. And is even kinda good. I actualy enjoy Windows 7.

And now they shoot themselves in the foot, again. And as others have pointed out, are forcing everyone to share their pain. I hope there's some serious backlash over this turdblossom of an OS.

Reactions: barefootn and NickW
Couldn't agree more Willie.

Just watched the video for the first time. Freaking awesome! It states exactly everything I thought, only in a much more clear manner. I guess it's not hard to be clearer than cursing and screaming at the computer and wife stopping you from hucking the dang thing out the window... Lol! Yes, it is that bad.

Ah, there's simple rule of thumb for windows - every other is absolute crap.. Like this:
Win 95 - ok
98 - crap
xp - ok
vista - crap
7 - ok
8 - crap

I guess the idea is that because consumers get to see big contrast of crap and ok versions, they might think that some windows are good..

You forgot about Win98 SE (Second Edition). That was ok, too.
I didn't think anyone would forgot about Windows ME. That one was the worst.
So adding in those two, it still keeps the flow consistent. So Windows Blue (9) should be a really good OS.

I am a bit of a geek, and love Unix computers, Windows has never been of interest to me, but I need Windows professionally,and I had to get a license recently, I made them order a Win7 license, as I did not want this Win8 crap, the sales guys seemed to be used to it to be honest ! I have not found one person that got used to the Metro interface

Reactions: NickW
Oh yes, the ME. We looked over that one on purpose. :pompus: My son has that on his laptop.

I didn't think anyone would forgot about Windows ME. That one was the worst.
Someone I worked with called ME the "massively evil" edition. It was apt.

Thanks all for this thread. I need a new laptop, and was wary of windows 8. I just put windows 7 on this old puter last year, and it does seem stable-ish.
I thought some of the ultrabooks come with windows7, as long as they are not touch screen?
And not to take this OT thread OT, but...

Can anyone recommend a laptop with windows 7 (closer to the 'ultrabook' level in weight but higher performance)?
I'm ready to say goodbye to dell.

Well, an engineer at work installed Win8 on his wife's laptop. He educated himself on it first and already had the utilities needed to make it usable. He says it's noticeably faster and more stable than Win7 was on that Laptop. He's the kind who benchmarks everything and really gets picky about this stuff. So ... maybe the biggest problem is really the idiotic Metro UI.

Well, an engineer at work installed Win8 on his wife's laptop. He educated himself on it first and already had the utilities needed to make it usable. He says it's noticeably faster and more stable than Win7 was on that Laptop. He's the kind who benchmarks everything and really gets picky about this stuff. So ... maybe the biggest problem is really the idiotic Metro UI.

Metro UI? What's that?