why you people don't go to a place where going barefoot is normal?

narrowtoeboxisstupid

Barefooters
Sep 17, 2014
i want to do that, a natural, extremely healthy (as opossed to wearing modern shoes) thing is considered horrible in many countries

why don't you people go and live to a place where going barefoot is very common?
i've heard thailand and new zealand are great barefoot countries, specially NZ

Well, there are a couple of reasons why personally I'm not going to leave my country (which is not that bad after all) to live in a more barefoot friendly country:
Some countries, such as New Zealand, have rather strict immigration laws (at least that's what I've been told).
In other barefoot friendly countries, the political situation might not be an ideal one to choose this country for permanent residency (recently there was a military putsch in Thailand). And thai is definitely not an easy language to learn.
And then, at the moment I'm very happy to live without earthquakes and without hurricanes. I would not like to change that!

Not sure what "you people" is suppose to mean.

No, I am not going anywhere just because people look at me funny. I live in a great place. The key is to not give a rat's a$$ what people think. I go out and have fun. Shoes, no shoes, clothes, no clothes, etc. I like being a rebel. You can make any place barefoot friendly, it all depends on your attitude.

Well, there are a couple of reasons why personally I'm not going to leave my country (which is not that bad after all) to live in a more barefoot friendly country:
Some countries, such as New Zealand, have rather strict immigration laws (at least that's what I've been told).
In other barefoot friendly countries, the political situation might not be an ideal one to choose this country for permanent residency (recently there was a military putsch in Thailand). And thai is definitely not an easy language to learn.
And then, at the moment I'm very happy to live without earthquakes and without hurricanes. I would not like to change that!

the strict inmigration laws means it's very difficult to be a citicen?

i would endure the military push, the languaje or the earthquakes and hurricanes happily if it would be the price to pay to go barefoot and to send my kids to school barefoot

Not sure what "you people" is suppose to mean.

No, I am not going anywhere just because people look at me funny. I live in a great place. The key is to not give a rat's a$$ what people think. I go out and have fun. Shoes, no shoes, clothes, no clothes, etc. I like being a rebel. You can make any place barefoot friendly, it all depends on your attitude.

you people as speaking to many people, not know if there is a grammatical mistake there but i think ive heard you people a lot of times

true true but the majority of us are not as brave as you and we are afraid of people's opinions, if i would be brave enough i would be barefoot everywhere

also you go naked in streets? if you do that you are incredible, very fearless

Reactions: Bare Lee
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I just thought "you" was labeling the group that likes to live barefoot.

I am not brave, just lazy.:) Too big of a hassle to put on shoes or sandals if briefly going into a store. Just give it some time an you will find it is not such a big deal.

Good point about your kids going to school barefoot. It would never be allowed in my area. That might be justification to move if you really want that.

No, I don't go around naked, but I do run and work often shirtless, which you never see in my area.

Welcome to the group, where are you from?

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I just thought "you" was labeling the group that likes to live barefoot.

I am not brave, just lazy.:) Too big of a hassle to put on shoes or sandals if briefly going into a store. Just give it some time an you will find it is not such a big deal.

Good point about your kids going to school barefoot. It would never be allowed in my area. That might be justification to move if you really want that.

No, I don't go around naked, but I do run and work often shirtless, which you never see in my area.

Welcome to the group, where are you from?
no you didn't sounded rude i think, my english has some flaws and didn't know if i write it correctly sometimes, sorry if i sounded rude too,

i think u are brave too, you doesn't care for peoples opinion thats very uncommon i think
i go barefoot sometimes in the city but is not cool how much attention you draw haha some people have even maked photos of me for going barefoot, is crazy haha it's funny to have so much attention but at the same time uncomfortable

yes new zealand is unique in that allowing kids to go barefoot at school, that would be awesome for my kids, majority of shoes deforms kids foot more or less and it's not cool

oh ok, i run shirtless and even go to street shirtless to sunbathing thats not rare in my country although some people dont like it but they are just not very intelligent because they rarely take sunbathing and lacks vitamin D

im from spain nice to meet you

I've heard about New Zealand, and I think some colleges in the US allow (tolerate?) bare feet?

It would be interesting to know which countries/states allow children/youths/young adults to go to school/college/university in bare feet?

I don't think they do here in Wales, UK - maybe in some of the Forest/private schools?

I don't think I even have the nerve to ask at my son's school :(

I've heard about New Zealand, and I think some colleges in the US allow (tolerate?) bare feet?

It would be interesting to know which countries/states allow children/youths/young adults to go to school/college/university in bare feet?

I don't think they do here in Wales, UK - maybe in some of the Forest/private schools?

I don't think I even have the nerve to ask at my son's school :(

never heard of that, it's cool, however i personally don't think many will go barefoot like in New Zealand because of the tradition and the peers pressure or social pressure, in New Zealand i've heard the tradition of going barefoot is based in the Maori's tradition which says the energy of the earth goes trhough your feet when you walk barefoot or something like that

maybe but i think its very difficult to find a school like that, search it maybe you'll find it
i think there are very few in the world which tolerates barefoot, but i mean completely barefoot like in NZ and not only in a few activities like in sports or things like that

try to ask them but i think the answer will be no :/ i dont know why going barefoot is so forbidden, its crazy

i would endure the military push, the languaje or the earthquakes and hurricanes happily if it would be the price to pay to go barefoot and to send my kids to school barefoot
as far as I know, in Thailand kids have to have shoes to be allowed in school. (A compassionate friend of mine visiting Thailand bought shoes for a beggar's kid so she could get some education)

i want to do that, a natural, extremely healthy (as opossed to wearing modern shoes) thing is considered horrible in many countries

why don't you people go and live to a place where going barefoot is very common?
i've heard thailand and new zealand are great barefoot countries, specially NZ
I would settle simply for a warmer part of the US.

I pick up my kids from day care and school barefoot. No one complains. My daughter attends school in minimalist sandals most of the time, but has to put on minimalist sneakers for gym class. My son attends daycare in minimalist toddler shoes. It really pains me that he's in shoes all day. As soon as I arrive they usually tear off their shoes.

I'm not a natural rebel like Rick. I get irritated that I can't walk around without calling attention. But it's probably about the mildest form of discrimination, and I look pretty hegemonic otherwise, so I won't complain.

Perhaps it's best to work for reform in our own countries, where we'll have the most influence? Besides promoting barefooter rights, I think it would be great if we'd stop bombing everyone to prop up petrodollars.

I'm not a natural rebel like Rick.

Ha. That's just internet talk. I am actually non-confrontational, drives my wife nuts how I won't stand up for anything. I've only had a few problems. Once was in a ski resort lounge where some guys started to make a few comments calling me a redneck. I didn't care but one of my female friends got in their faces and started defending me. We had to calm her down. Funny, later my redneck brother-in-law was buying them drinks and playing pool with them. The other was in a timeshare gym where a security guard ordered me to leave if I didn't have shoes on (cited health code). This time I refused until he brought a manager and a copy of the health code. I also stated that I was an owner. He left me alone and my son was amazed that I stood up to him.

The other was in a timeshare gym where a security guard ordered me to leave if I didn't have shoes on (cited health code). This time I refused until he brought a manager and a copy of the health code. I also stated that I was an owner. He left me alone and my son was amazed that I stood up to him.
An owner? Not sure I get it. (bear with me, I'm french) :p

Time share = all members are part owners.

as far as I know, in Thailand kids have to have shoes to be allowed in school. (A compassionate friend of mine visiting Thailand bought shoes for a beggar's kid so she could get some education)

didn't know that :/ NZ then i think is the only country that allows bf in the entire planet??? because even in africa i didn't found any school with barefoot kids in it, thats crazy

Some schools in the U.S. allow bare feet in class. Most of the dress codes requiring footwear were written in the late 60's and early 70's, but eventually were left out in later revisions when nobody was bothering to try going to school barefoot any more.
Since the dress code rules are rather lengthy but don't mention bare feet, it ends up being at the discretion of the principal if a teacher or security guard brings it up.
My wife teaches barefoot in a public school, her students tend to kick off their shoes once they see her.
She's been transferred to five different schools in the past seven years, and has gotten away with it at each one.
And yes, she's the only barefoot teacher in public school as far as I can tell in the entire state, so it's just an individual thing that sometimes can be accomplished.

didn't know that :/ NZ then i think is the only country that allows bf in the entire planet??? because even in africa i didn't found any school with barefoot kids in it, thats crazy
My wife's African, and I've spent a total of seven and a half years there, and shoes are a big status thing. The first thing someone buys when they're no longer living hand-to-mouth is a pair of sandals or shoes. Africans always thought it was funny that a Westerner/White dude would walk around barefoot. I did pay the price once, however, when I picked up a parasite in the rainy season.

Here in America my wife finds it mildly irritating that I walk around barefoot. She doesn't leave the house without full production. She's especially embarrased by the heel fissures, or rasgamanta as they're called in Portuguese ("blanket rippers"). She doesn't like the calluses on my palms either, from weight lifting. She jokes that she married a professor but ended up with a plumber. At least I've convinced her of the importance of minimalist shoes for our kids.

Some schools in the U.S. allow bare feet in class. Most of the dress codes requiring footwear were written in the late 60's and early 70's, but eventually were left out in later revisions when nobody was bothering to try going to school barefoot any more.
Since the dress code rules are rather lengthy but don't mention bare feet, it ends up being at the discretion of the principal if a teacher or security guard brings it up.
My wife teaches barefoot in a public school, her students tend to kick off their shoes once they see her.
She's been transferred to five different schools in the past seven years, and has gotten away with it at each one.
And yes, she's the only barefoot teacher in public school as far as I can tell in the entire state, so it's just an individual thing that sometimes can be accomplished.
Teaching barefoot, heh?! No wonder she's been transferred to five different schools! :p (I'm obviously kidding)

I remember someone else in another thread said that Spain was not barefoot friendly - mentioning that folks thought it was strange that he walked around barefoot in his apartment. Narrowtoeboxisst affirms his wish to move to New Zealand because he gets lots of negative comments and stares. This is something I find puzzling as when I visited Barcelona and spent some time there - I was walking up Las Ramblas - the place was absolutely packed - and then I had a thought that the guy walking in front of me was wearing a very tight tuxedo. When I passed him and looked back - I understood why the "suit" looked so tight - it was SPRAY PAINTED ON. The guy was as naked as a jaybird with the exception of a pair of shoes. My then early teen-aged daughter thought it was hilarious!

Perhaps the only reason he was not harassed was because he wasn't barefoot?????? The mind boggles!