What is the best way to learn to run barefoot?

I learned from tips on

I learned from tips on KenBob's Yahoo forum in the beginning, they seemed vague and too general at first but now I think thats best as it makes you really get the fine points yourself and teaches how better to be self aware.

In the the first 6 months I was up to 10k barefoot but was still switching with thin footwear too much, I didn't fully get it and was still getting injured. I ditched the footwear completely for almost a whole summer...it made a huge difference...I should have done that from the start. I was also not running at all in the winter the first 2 years and had to restart every Spring so that didn't help either, I should have keep running through winter somehow also.

IMHO         1. Be

IMHO

1. Be BAREFOOT! Transition shoes just slow the process

2. Find the roughest surface you can stand. That might be asphalt at first, but will eventually progress to gravel.

3. Read everything you can get your hands on about barefoot running. I really think it was all the chatter on BFKenBob's forum that did it for me. Sometimes 10 people can say the same thing, but using different analogies. Eventually someone will hit on something that clicks in your mind and you finally get it.

4. Go slow. I didn't finally get it until I hurt myself (doing something unrelated to running). It is hard to slow down enough to just run 1/4 mile at a time for a while unless something is forcing you. Until you stop running in shoes completely and tune down your milage enough, it just isn't going to happen. That doesn't mean you can't ever run in a minimal shoe, but you need to nail down your form barefoot and THEN go to a minimal shoe.

5. Barefoot often. Even in the winter, I ditched my shoes as much as possible. If we had a day where the streets were dry and it wasn't too bitter cold, I would warm up on a stationary bike first and hit the streets barefoot. This kept my form from deteriorating too much.

I'm sure there are people out there that don't have to do barefoot reality checks so often, but I'm definitely not one of them. The minute I put on shoes things start to go south. The one thing I would have done differently is I wouldn't have bought VFFs until I was well established with barefoot.

What BFWendyBird said!!!! 

What BFWendyBird said!!!! And whatever Jason says.... ;o) [Yeah, Mokaman, running in the winter is tough bf or mr... I found scuba diver booties to be the best in the nasty Michigan winter....]

Then find what works for you, eh?!!?!

Ditto to Wendy, definitely

Ditto to Wendy, definitely taking it slow and remembering that your pains and discomforts are learning tools. Be patient, take it slow, both distance and speed.

Definitely didn't really "get it' until I started running primarily barefoot.

oh and the feet on top of Ken's website :p Those feet always run through my mind when out on a run. Plain and simple, I found that the more I tried to do this form and that form and adjust my form this way or that to follow all of the different rules of running properly I just confused myself more and was working against my most natural form...what felt best for me.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test