What do you want out of our chapter?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by saypay45, Aug 9, 2010.

1. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    This is both a rant and a question to MN chapter members.

As much as I enjoyed our first chapter event, I'm not going to put in all of that work so that just zumba and I show up at these things. We can do that with a quick email. I really want to meet and get to know all of you. So far, I've only been able to connect with a few. That gets a little frustrating with as much as zumba and I have put into this place so far. I'm not trying to be a pest. I just want you guys to enjoy barefooting and the barefoot community as much as I do.

In that regard, what do you guys want out of your experience here at BRS? What events, gatherings, etc. do you want to see us set up? What can I do generally to make your experience here better?

Rant completed...

2. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    SayPay, see my response on

SayPay, see my response on your other, similar thread first, then put something together and send a Broadcast to your members from your chapter's home page. When you do so, everyone in your chapter will get an email. I only suggest this because some of the members are not regular posters on the forums. For example, I have a few members that show up to our group runs, but they never post on our forums. Some of your members may not be reading the forums, so they won't get your message.

And...our Georgia meetups began one year ago on July 4, and there were only two of us back then. We now have had upwards of 12 show up to our group runs the last few months on average (well, except that one time we had 44 for the Ken Bob meetup, of course.)

3. barefoot.zumba.runner Barefooters

Message Count:
    I hear ya SP. It would be

I hear ya SP. It would be nice to see a bigger turn out at our events, runs or even interest in talking about it. I think it's still pretty new and they'll come around eventually as long as we keep bringing the enthusiasm and interests (as pointless as it seems for us to be postign back and forth to each other here and fb...at least others are out there following and working up the courage to come join us. I hope.

Where's this other thread, I must have missed it.

4. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    It's in the Races & Events

It's in the Races & Events forum.

Yeah, I think you're right about posting back and forth about things. I know that I lurked in the "other forum" for almost a half year before feeling like I had something to contribute. I know we have a lot of beginners in our section, so maybe it's a matter of them getting comfortable enough to participate.

I like that we both can feed off each other and share our enthusiasm for the sport. That will keep the chapter moving until we get more participation also.

5. barefoot.zumba.runner Barefooters

Message Count:
    (No subject)

:party:

6. Lori Barefooters

Message Count:
    Hi, this is Lori!  Not sure

Hi, this is Lori! Not sure where to post a message, figured this is a fine spot. Katie, I met you while running around Calhoun a couple of Saturdays ago. (Pink Vibrams). I am really happy that you found me. I am the one who was having surgery on my wrist. That happened last Friday, I get a hard cast this Monday, and hopefully can begin running again at that point. I am really excited that this community exists, and look forward to the advice, support, group running, etc. I am planning on showing up for the Sept 18 group run. I'm going to head over to Facebook to join the group set up there as well. It was great meeting you, thanks for coming up to me and introducing yourself!
  7. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Hi Lori!  I'm Christian, the

Hi Lori! I'm Christian, the other guy you met after Katie accosted you on Calhoun. I'm glad you joined up, and welcome! I think it's great that you're coming out for the Sept. 18th run. Sounds like we'll have a nice group! That part of Lakeville has some really nice trails.

Also, take a look at the Christopher McDougall event on the 15th. He's a great speaker on the topic of barefoot running.

8. Abide Barefooters
    1. Arizona -...

Message Count:
    Hey Lori, Welcome to the

Hey Lori, Welcome to the group!

I have nothing really to do with the Minnesota chapter, well nothing other than giving saypay hell.
  9. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Give 'em hell, Buzz, give 'em

Give 'em hell, Buzz, give 'em hell!

10. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    I enjoy our give and take

I enjoy our give and take Abide. You like good beer, death metal, and El Dudorino. I can put up with hell from someone like that...

11. barefoot.zumba.runner Barefooters

Message Count:
    Welcome aboard Lori, glad you

Welcome aboard Lori, glad you found us. Sadly I won't be making the two events this week, though I'll be sure to meet up next month. Happy trails!!

12. Dave Gunderson Barefooters

Message Count:
    hey saypay -I think that the

hey saypay -

I think that the bf minimalistic thing will keep growing. I went out for a run this morning and picked up my son at his german class and felt bad that I had not brought along alternative footware. There I was a sweaty pig in my vffs. Soon I was surruonded by women asking me about my five fingers. It could be the fact that I have the same effect on women as Brett Favre does - my wife would say -- I don't think so. I talked about the born to run book and of the evils of landing on the heal. They were absolutely intiuged. I ran this morning with my wife (LeAnn) and we talked about how the bf/minimalistic movement is steadily growing. I can easily see a point where there are 20 30 40 people on the monthly brs mn runs. I think that we will eventually get to doing weekly sat bf runs. I'll admit that I'm an eternal optimist but I do think that we are on the front edge of something big. So don't get discouraged saypay. I'll help out anyway possible. You've built it -- they will come.

Gundy
  13. Qadupae Barefooters

Message Count:
    For me personally, what I

For me personally, what I want to get out of our chapter is the group runs most of all, but I'm at a hard spot where I can't run a full mile yet. I'm using the Podrunner Intervals to help me get into 5k shape, but its going to be a while before I can actually go with a group run. Its also a little tricky for me to get out of the Rochester area, but there is currently talk between Zum and I about Silver Lake runs hopefully in the future once I get better at running in general.
  14. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Qad, don't worry about your

Qad, don't worry about your level of fitness with respect to the group run. Actually on our first run one of the participants only came along for a mile and a half. We respect each other's pace and try not to push too hard. You will fit in fine.

Zum is looking at getting some group runs together for the southern MN folks as well. Stay tuned!

Dave, I think you're right about the minimalist movement growing. I posted this thread back when we only had about 8 members. Now we have over 30...and over 60 on the facebook page! Things are definitely happening quickly and it's exciting.

15. barefoot.zumba.runner Barefooters

Message Count:
    I think that having smaller

I think that having smaller local group runs between larger group runs is an awesome idea. Qad and I will be meeting up hopefully this week and I know another VFF runner in town I should get a hold of him too.

16. saypay45 Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Let me know if you do that

Let me know if you do that Zum. I might want to come!

17. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    What we in the Georgia

What we in the Georgia chapter do is have multiple distances within a meetup. Some will run over 5 miles, some will run 5 miles, and some will run less than 5 miles. We all agree to meet back at a specific place and have lunch afterwards.

18. barefoot.zumba.runner Barefooters

Message Count:
    TJ, that sounds about right

TJ, that sounds about right for what we shoot for. That way there's no pressure to run a distance your not comfortable running :)

SP, I'll do that for sure! Hopefully before the snow falls, though it might be good motivation to get out there in the elements to have a group run arranged