Weekly Mileage 41st week of 2012

But seriously, I think it might work even better if you did it, esp since you're a big guy, the professorly type, I assume. They would be so busy guessing no one would get in your way.
Ha! Yeah, except I'd be afraid of going down the whole kilt/painted toe nails road, as so many bf runners sadly do. Maybe I'll try Dama's barefoot sandal idea, that might go nicely with my toe rings. Opps, toe rings? I guess I'm already heading in that direction. God help me.

Thanks again Dama, for the quoted info! The doc did mention the bursa I think. I know he did feel a little fluid build-up. It continues to get a little bit better every day, and I'm icing it now, and a cream similar to the one you recommended was available on Amazon Prime, called Penetrex, and will arrive today, so I'll use that until the tropicin (pecado poético?) arrives sometimes next week. I'm thinking I may curtail the walks until the knee's completely pain-free. I'm off my running rhythm now, sinking back into sedentariality (linguistics have a license to make up new affixal derivations). And I've finally found a use for the Pro-Tec ITB strap I bought when I mistakenly thought I had ITBS--it keeps the cold compress in place. I don't have any arthritis in the family, and the doc said he didn't see any, so I'm discounting that possibility for the time being. I'm thinking more and more that I just wasn't warmed up properly and landed with the ligaments or something a little misaligned. Feels like the kind of thing that would happen in a sport like football or soccer while making a cut, except I was running straight ahead. Anyway, it's kind of fun pushing the weights a bit during this running hiatus, but I'm a bit worried that I'm no longer chomping at the bit to get back out there. I'm also not enjoying the idea of building up again for the second time in two months once I can run again. I had finally reached one of my short term goals--running to, around, and back from Como Lake at a decent pace. I don't want to wait too much longer before I can do that again.
P.S., haven't ever tried a salt bath, but did have nice romp in the Jacuzzi last night with the fam, with a belly full of beef and red wine. Is that therapeutic?

It sure sounds to me.
Now this is totally random but you never know...is it possible that in one of your stretches your hammie got stretched to the point of creating the pain(breaking my head here trying to figure it out).

Reactions: Bare Lee
esp since you're a big guy, the professorly type, I assume.
I think this actually works against me in academia. I'm like a geek trapped in a jock's body, not professoresque at all. I often wonder if I'm reminding people of the guys who used to pick on them in school, when in fact I was always short for my age until I was 15 or 16, so, although I was never really picked on, I can totally relate. The worst is the Gender Studies crowd. They always seem a bit suspicious of me until I go out of my way to disarm myself by being overly polite and deferential.

Yah, I've been a casual barefooter for a long time, but I usually just don the sandals when I need to go into a store. And now that I'm married I try to save my wife the embarrassment, especially since she's very appearance-conscious. I admire you folks who do stand up for our rights though. You're fighting the good fight. I do barefoot in stores when I'm alone, sometimes, and most big box type stores like target never seem to mind, although of course you get the looks. I'm a very clean-cut looking guy though, so I probably avoid some confrontation that way. The only real hassle is the neighborhood mom-and-pop store, which seems to have put up a NoSSS sign in my honor after I asked the officious clerk why he was asking me to wear shoes. It's a hassle because sometimes at the end of a run it would be handy to go in there and pick up a few items once in a while, but I don't really want to carry sandals the whole time. I also noticed last winter it was kind of the mirror image of a resort-type mentality, where if you're badassed enough to be out in bare feet no one is going to bother you.
I've only gone into a few stores barefoot while I was at the local mall and that was only because my flip flops were bothering me and I had to take them off. I got lectured that there is dangerous stuff on the floor and I was going to get hurt by a store clerk (he did not make me put on shoes but was very rude and lost my business), and then my wife also lectured me because she was with me and I apparently embarrassed her with my barefootedness out in public.

It sure sounds to me.
Now this is totally random but you never know...is it possible that in one of your stretches your hammie got stretched to the point of creating the pain(breaking my head here trying to figure it out).
I don't think so, but I appreciate the suggestion. I don't push the stretches much, but I do hold it for a while. I don't put the foot up over my head, but more like chest-level, then I bend the foot towards me and hold it (don't tell the Soc Doc!). I used to be able to do the splits (while training karate), so I'm pretty flexible for a big oaf. I keep thinking about trying to get back to that, but I never seem to allow enough time after my weights routine for the stretching and runner specific exercises like donkey kicks, clams, etc. My sense is that I didn't stretch out / warm up enough before the run, and that may be an age factor I need to be more conscious of. I'm pretty haphazard as to whether I stretch a bit before a run. I think I have to be more religious about it.

P.S., the ice compress seems to be helping a lot.

Reactions: NickW
I don't think so, but I appreciate the suggestion. I don't push the stretches much, but I do hold it for a while. I don't put the foot up over my head, but more like chest-level, then I bend the foot towards me and hold it (don't tell the Soc Doc!). Well, there you have it! Now thing about it when you do say hammie stretch, is your knee in a locked position? because if it is then that's the problem(and this is just pure speculation because I know sheet).
P.S., the ice compress seems to be helping a lot.
It always does so continue with it.

Well, there you have it! Now thing about it when you do say hammie stretch, is your knee in a locked position? because if it is then that's the problem(and this is just pure speculation because I know sheet).
It always does so continue with it.
Well, when I asked the doc if my extra effort on my dead lifts and squats last Monday (11 days ago) might have triggered it, he said no, that would only affect the back of the knee and the hammies. So I take it he didn't think the hammies have anything to do with it. When the knee book you recommended arrives later today, I'll try to pinpoint which ligament or bursa is the problem, but it's more in the front to the side of the knee joint. If it's something that connects to the lower leg then it might be related to my problem with tight lower leg muscles. I'm gaining appreciation for how everything is connected, so I will not rule out the possibility that stretching the hammies may have contributed to this. However, after last Tuesday's 7-mile run, I didn't massage or stretch as much as I usually do before Thursday's fateful run, so it kind of seems like the opposite problem--not enough stretching or massaging. I dunno. I'm icing again for the second time now. Funny, after icing the pain is almost completely gone and I feel like I could go out for a run. Should've started this last week. Anyway, I'll try to put off running until the knee's been pain-free for at least a few days without any icing or cream, when I wake up and don't feel a thing. Now I'm wondering if I should even row later today.
I really do appreciate all the time you're spending helping me figure this out. I guess I could take a picture of the exact location of the pain if this would help in your diagnosis.

If you really want to get away with it, I mean going EVERYWHERE bf wear true barefoot sandal like the ones I have on the avatar.
After I removed the post surgery shoe I couln't wear anything on my foot because of the swelling so I wore my BF sandals and I went everywhere I would in shoes.
Restaurants, malls, grocery stores, you name it.
Great idea!

Reactions: scedastic
Doesn't it feel wonderfully subversive? I can only work up the nerve to go into stores bf once in a while, but when I do.

btw, if you ever want to get away with it easily, carry a pair of high heels with you. Everyone will think it's from the heels and store people won't even say anything (happened to me on a long trip to the grocery on a busy night---lots of stares, then they'd see the heels, and no one said a word).

:D Laughing out loud, really.

Ok so I got outside in the sweet sweet lovely rain and I couldn't contain myself. I ran 1.51 barefoot miles and splashed and played in the puddles like a little kid. I could see all those jealous shod folks wishing they were having as much fun in their lives as I was at that moment! I was laughing and skipping and splashing. The sidewalk I was on yesterday that was so miserable was great today thanks to it being downhill (or uphill I guess depending on your perception) so a lot of the debris was being washed away and there was a nice little clear trail on the sidewalk where the water was flowing downhill.

Well, when I asked the doc if my extra effort on my dead lifts and squats last Monday (11 days ago) might have triggered it, he said no, that would only affect the back of the knee and the hammies. So I take it he didn't think the hammies have anything to do with it. When the knee book you recommended arrives later today, I'll try to pinpoint which ligament or bursa is the problem, but it's more in the front to the side of the knee joint. If it's something that connects to the lower leg then it might be related to my problem with tight lower leg muscles. I'm gaining appreciation for how everything is connected, so I will not rule out the possibility that stretching the hammies may have contributed to this. However, after last Tuesday's 7-mile run, I didn't massage or stretch as much as I usually do before Thursday's fateful run, so it kind of seems like the opposite problem--not enough stretching or massaging. I dunno. I'm icing again for the second time now. Funny, after icing the pain is almost completely gone and I feel like I could go out for a run. Should've started this last week. Anyway, I'll try to put off running until the knee's been pain-free for at least a few days without any icing or cream, when I wake up and don't feel a thing. Now I'm wondering if I should even row later today.
I really do appreciate all the time you're spending helping me figure this out. I guess I could take a picture of the exact location of the pain if this would help in your diagnosis.

Lee you forgot to read the small print on my previous post(the one that says I don't know sheet and still dont) but I got your diagnosis which is Medial Collateral Ligament Sprain and it's caused by twisting of the knee or when a force takes the lower leg outwards, stretching the inner joint, so read the small print carefully because (I know a little of everything and a lot of nothing).

No running for me because today was VOLLEYBALL day!!
Love volleyball.

Ok so I got outside in the sweet sweet lovely rain and I couldn't contain myself. I ran 1.51 barefoot miles and splashed and played in the puddles like a little kid. I could see all those jealous shod folks wishing they were having as much fun in their lives as I was at that moment! I was laughing and skipping and splashing. The sidewalk I was on yesterday that was so miserable was great today thanks to it being downhill (or uphill I guess depending on your perception) so a lot of the debris was being washed away and there was a nice little clear trail on the sidewalk where the water was flowing downhill.

What joy in your post. Life is great, isn't it?

Lee you forgot to read the small print on my previous post(the one that says I don't know sheet and still dont) but I got your diagnosis which is Medial Collateral Ligament Sprain and it's caused by twisting of the knee or when a force takes the lower leg outwards, stretching the inner joint, so read the small print carefully because (I know a little of everything and a lot of nothing).
Hey Sheetless Wonder, one more question (for now): do you think a knee brace would be any help? It seems like the joint does better when it's extended, so maybe a brace would help keep me from bending it while mending it. But I wonder if, once I'm running again (hopefully next week sometime), it would interfere with my form. It's close to pain-free now, but still stiff. I've been icing it every two hours or so, and have applying that cream. Also, do you think Biofreeze would be useful? I don't mind throwing a little more money at the problem if it gets me running again, but I don't know much about this kind of stuff, having luckily been pretty much injury-free up until this point.

about 6mi in the rain and wind, 40F, splashing cold puddles like you other crazies, in huaraches, though. My calves were tight and my hands were getting cold even in gloves, but otherwise it was a lot of fun.
My dh who made smart aleck remarks about my safety on long night runs with creepies and being able to call him if I get injured, yeah, that one, decided to come looking for me to see if I needed a jacket or to be brought home for being soaking wet. It gave me some satisfaction to let him know I was fine and had another lap or two before I would be done.

about 6mi in the rain and wind, 40F, splashing cold puddles like you other crazies, in huaraches, though. My calves were tight and my hands were getting cold even in gloves, but otherwise it was a lot of fun.
My dh who made smart aleck remarks about my safety on long night runs with creepies and being able to call him if I get injured, yeah, that one, decided to come looking for me to see if I needed a jacket or to be brought home for being soaking wet. It gave me some satisfaction to let him know I was fine and had another lap or two before I would be done.
I was in a meeting once with a bunch of moms, when one mom was asking how to keep her son from teasing her daughter. I energetically responded: "Certainly, teach him to be nice, but don't just nix the teasing! Her husband will probably do it for the rest of her life and it's good practice for her to not be offended by everything! " :) Still, after 30 years, I can't always tell when my husband is treating me companionably by giving me a hard time.:confused: Never a dull moment. :D

I was in a meeting once with a bunch of moms, when one mom was asking how to keep her son from teasing her daughter. I energetically responded: "Certainly, teach him to be nice, but don't just nix the teasing! Her husband will probably do it for the rest of her life and it's good practice for her to not be offended by everything! " :) Still, after 30 years, I can't always tell when my husband is treating me companionably by giving me a hard time.:confused: Never a dull moment. :D
My wife and I jokingly give each other sh!t all the time. It's part of Mozambican culture, but I like it too. Then when you really do give each other a hard time, you've built up some calluses so the effect isn't so harsh. It will be interesting to see how we deal with sibling rivalry though. Hasn't been an issue yet, but now that our son is more active and just about verbal, I'm sure it's just a matter of time . . .

Been enjoying your blog by the way. Don't always read it--you're rather prolific(!)--but it's very well done.

My wife and I jokingly give each other sh!t all the time. It's part of Mozambican culture, but I like it too. Then when you really do give each other a hard time, you've built up some calluses so the effect isn't so harsh. It will be interesting to see we deal with sibling rivalry though. Hasn't been an issue yet, but now that our son is more active and just about verbal, I'm sure it's just a matter of time . . . Been enjoying your blog by the way. Don't always read it--you're rather prolific(!)--but it's very well done.
Thanks. I really appreciate the feedback! :)

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts