Waterproof or windproof running jacket

Yeah I am becoming an even bigger fan of merino wool too. I picked up a hat and socks and they work really really well in the wet here. Although I tend to find the wool shirts surprisingly comfortable, I usually buy the looser fitting ones. I guess its probably dependent on the percentage of wool used so keep that in consideration when you are looking.

Yeah if I am running a shorter race I don't really mind getting soaked in the rain, and a jacket is overkill. But my raincoat and a couple of underlayers was a lifesaver at Leadville during the colder night temps and when creating body heat is difficult. And I remember that last pass up in the lakes district being so windy and cold, the heat generated was a welcome thing.

That coat looks really nice, 8oz isn't too bad either.

Reactions: skedaddle
Yeah I am becoming an even bigger fan of merino wool too. I picked up a hat and socks and they work really really well in the wet here. Although I tend to find the wool shirts surprisingly comfortable, I usually buy the looser fitting ones. I guess its probably dependent on the percentage of wool used so keep that in consideration when you are looking.

Yeah if I am running a shorter race I don't really mind getting soaked in the rain, and a jacket is overkill. But my raincoat and a couple of underlayers was a lifesaver at Leadville during the colder night temps and when creating body heat is difficult. And I remember that last pass up in the lakes district being so windy and cold, the heat generated was a welcome thing.

That coat looks really nice, 8oz isn't too bad either.

Got this in the end Abide for £100 off marked price, last one in stock! Very stretchy, waterproof but with very good reviews on breathability, plus it doesn't rustle. Fits more like a jumper than a jacket which is suppose is what makes it good at wicking, we'll see. But for the price i'm well happy, also got enough left over for a new windshell for when the weather improves a little. So all bases are covered for my master plan.;) Thanks for the help.

https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothing/waterproof/trailblazer-stretch-jacket

Reactions: dutchie53
Got this in the end Abide for £100 off marked price, last one in stock! Very stretchy, waterproof but with very good reviews on breathability, plus it doesn't rustle. Fits more like a jumper than a jacket which is suppose is what makes it good at wicking, we'll see. But for the price i'm well happy, also got enough left over for a new windshell for when the weather improves a little. So all bases are covered for my master plan.;) Thanks for the help.

https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothing/waterproof/trailblazer-stretch-jacket

Nice that sounds like a plan because one jacket never seems to fit all situations. I saw a similar one at a shop a while back and it was very comfy, I was tempted to buy it but I had just picked up another north face rain jacket on the cheap at a race a few weeks back.

Nice that sounds like a plan because one jacket never seems to fit all situations. I saw a similar one at a shop a while back and it was very comfy, I was tempted to buy it but I had just picked up another north face rain jacket on the cheap at a race a few weeks back.

Tested it for a ten mile run early this morning, 50mph+ winds and heavy rain. It did just what i wanted it to do, came back dry, only my forearms were a little damp. I was actually enjoying the elements instead of fighting them.
Like Sid and Dutchie said it's not the sort of thing for general running, but it does have a fastener at the bottom of the jacket that so you don't have to zip it up, and because it's close fitting it doesn't billow when venting.
It' not a recommendation by any stretch, but so far i'm happy.

Here's the storm rolling in that got me at the top of the hill.

Dark-sky.jpg

Any advice on head torches Abide, that's my next port of call, I want to do some night running, or at least start out in the dark.

Last edited:
Nice this crazy weather we have been having is perfect for testing out rain jackets.

Of course I have some advice on headlamps! To be honest I have tested out about 5 different ones but I do have my favorites. I am a bog fan of having the battery pack separated on the back from the light.

If you like light and have some money to spend this one is fantastic http://www.amazon.com/Reactive-Lighting-Technology-Programable-Headlamp/dp/B00LV16UHO
I like to use lights that have good maximum light because then you can run them at low levels and still see great but the battery lasts significantly longer than running an underpowered light at full bore. The Nao light is a little heavier than some but the reactive lighting things works amazing for trails. I remember just bombing down hope's pass in dark and it wasn't that much different than during the day with the light. And that was at the low setting. The only downfall is the battery, it lasts about 8-10 hours but you have to use the packs so that can get expensive. I have two and I am worried about my hundred later this year if it will be adequate since I will likely have to run over two nights. I guess I might pick up another pack or two. But they run around €40-50 a pop.

This is my second favorite if you wanted to spend a little well lot less money http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-E87-P2-...ie=UTF8&qid=1454492116&sr=1-24&keywords=petzl
Lights great, not as bright but its still really good at low settings. It also uses 3 double AA's so you have a little more flexibility on long long runs. I use this one more often than my other one because the other one is overkill for my commutes.

The other ones I have used are the front headlamps like the one below and to be honest I really don't like them at all. The weight with the battery in the front is undistributed and they all feel bouncy to me. But this is definitely personal preference. The light they provide isn't that great either and battery life at higher power isn't very good. I am actually surprised to see so many good reviews, but for the price it performs well?
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond...door-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1454492574&sr=1-3

Reactions: skedaddle
Nice this crazy weather we have been having is perfect for testing out rain jackets.

Of course I have some advice on headlamps! To be honest I have tested out about 5 different ones but I do have my favorites. I am a bog fan of having the battery pack separated on the back from the light.

If you like light and have some money to spend this one is fantastic http://www.amazon.com/Reactive-Lighting-Technology-Programable-Headlamp/dp/B00LV16UHO
I like to use lights that have good maximum light because then you can run them at low levels and still see great but the battery lasts significantly longer than running an underpowered light at full bore. The Nao light is a little heavier than some but the reactive lighting things works amazing for trails. I remember just bombing down hope's pass in dark and it wasn't that much different than during the day with the light. And that was at the low setting. The only downfall is the battery, it lasts about 8-10 hours but you have to use the packs so that can get expensive. I have two and I am worried about my hundred later this year if it will be adequate since I will likely have to run over two nights. I guess I might pick up another pack or two. But they run around €40-50 a pop.

This is my second favorite if you wanted to spend a little well lot less money http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-E87-P2-...ie=UTF8&qid=1454492116&sr=1-24&keywords=petzl
Lights great, not as bright but its still really good at low settings. It also uses 3 double AA's so you have a little more flexibility on long long runs. I use this one more often than my other one because the other one is overkill for my commutes.

The other ones I have used are the front headlamps like the one below and to be honest I really don't like them at all. The weight with the battery in the front is undistributed and they all feel bouncy to me. But this is definitely personal preference. The light they provide isn't that great either and battery life at higher power isn't very good. I am actually surprised to see so many good reviews, but for the price it performs well?
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond...door-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1454492574&sr=1-3

Fantastic Abide, thanks for taking the time :)
The Myo looks perfect for my needs and fits the budget. I had no clue where to start, your advice has really helped.
Now all i've got to do is drag my sorry ass out of bed a 4.30 am to go and test, my plan is to get used to all the uncomfortable aspects of running, from bad weather to lack of sleep. Well, i'm not sure if that's a plan, but it kind of makes sense in my mixed up noggin to train in conditions i'd normally shy away from.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts