UPDATE on my health woes...

I can write to Victor to find

I can write to Victor to find out? His computer crashed a while back, and he's been out of touch, since.

I had x-rays today, and I don't have any bone spurs; besides, you and I know that bone spurs aren't typically the cause of heel pain, just suspect. I also had no stress fractures that could be seen.

My pain has also been radiating all the way up through the plantar fascia into the toes and throbbing the last three days or so.

I still don't understand why the "normal" most recommended treatments for PF fail to work on me and make my condition worse. It only makes sense to think that either I have torn tissue and/or I am having a reaction to the antibiotics.

I have had reactions to several medications in the past, and antibiotics have always been a hit or miss kind of thing with me. I took methylprednisolone antibiotics after the cryo, and they made me throw up each time I tried. After a couple of days of that, trying to figure out if it was the hydrocodone or the methylprednisolone antibiotics. It turned out to be both, and for kickers, the hydrocone made me itch like crazy. I once took eye drop antibiotics for an eye infection, and it turned out that I was allergic to them. My eyes were so puffy, red, and swollen. It took about 4-5 days of that hell before I could figure out I wasn't suffering pain from the infection any longer but the antibiotics. I mean the meds killed the bacteria, but they also were trying to kill my eyes at the same time. I have a slew of meds that mess me up. Demerol makes me angry, like a sailor angry; percocet makes me itch; sulfa gives me throat sores, and then there's those I mentioned above. I am truly a mess. Stuff seems to fail me so much of the time, like surgery, procedures, shots, orthotics, you name it. If you are unsure whether or not something will work for you, just try it out on me first. If it fails me, you'll be just fine.

Barefoot TJ wrote:I have had

Barefoot TJ said:
I have had reactions to several medications in the past, and antibiotics have always been a hit or miss kind of thing with me. I took methylprednisolone antibiotics after the cryo, and they made me throw up each time I tried. After a couple of days of that, trying to figure out if it was the hydrocodone or the methylprednisolone antibiotics.

Not that it really matters, but just in the interest of accuracy....

Methylprednisolone is a steriodal anti-inflamatory, not an anti-biotic.

Knowing that you had the cryo surgery in May, the surgery or the changes in gait after are still the most likely culprits.

Of course ANY drug can cause weird side effects, just as the quinalone/tendon tear situation demonstrates, so anything is possible, but my guess is that the rosacia treatment is not to blame.

I still say total rest, ice, and NSAIDS will cure you, and that we will be running barefoot together this spring around Easter time. You'll be up to 15 mile training runs by then, and I will be trying to regain my 5K BF outdoor duration following a long Michigan winter. You'll be turning around and screaming "C'mon Board, hustle!"

Doh!  That's right.  See,

Doh! That's right. See, when you have had as many health failures as I have, your stories start to blur.

I still have a deep feeling that there's more going on here. This is not normal. I have been off my feet as much as a human not in a coma could be since September 21, and even the two weeks before that, I only got in one 4.8 mile run per week. It's been a good 3 weeks that I have done NOTHING but sit on my evergrowing behind, and I am not getting better. I was getting better before I started taking the antibiotics on August 31. I even started to think the PF was going to be a thing of the past.

You are a good cheerleading of mine, Board. Thanks.

GOooooo BOARD!

Give me a B, you gotta B, you gotta B, you gotta B!

Give me an O, you gotta O, you gotta O, you gotta O!

Give me an A, you gotta A, you gotta A, you gotta A!

Give me an R, you gotta R, you gotta R, you gotta R!

Give me a D, you gotta D, you gotta D, you gotta D!

What does that spell?!

That's right!

B O A R D!

Another thing...  Why did the

Another thing... Why did the Achilles tendon problem just start developing very recently in these last few days. I have been on my butt doing nothing, and all of a suddern a body part starts to become inflamed, a part that I wasn't even using, a part that I had never had problems with before...on both feet?

Were you using the night

Were you using the night splints?

Possibly they contributed to it.

Yes I was using the night

Yes I was using the night splints, but both of them have an open heel. It's not the kind with the upright support in the back. And since when does a night splint damage a person this way, when it is supposed to help to help them?

If you stretch too much you

If you stretch too much you also damage.

I was thinking that maybe you over stretched the achilles.

I was doing the stretching

I was doing the stretching that you're supposed to do, a couple of times a day, each foot, hold for at least 30 seconds, repeat each foot 3 times.

I meant the mild but

I meant the mild but continous stretch that the splint is providing

TJ, whenever I sit on my

TJ, whenever I sit on my butt, anything that is problematic just gets worse. Have you tried running in shallow water to see if the water is therapeutic. Sitting has never helped me with any injury, ever, except a bona fide sprain.

My splints don't work as well

My splints don't work as well as I think they should, Board. They don't keep my foot in a perfect flexed position. In fact, I find myself still being able to point my toe. I stopped wearing them about a week ago now, and in that time, my feet have gotten worse anyway. (because the pain in the morning was no better than the nights I tried sleeping without them.)

Thanks again, J! I've stopped taking the antibiotic, even though I had a few left in the bottle and ANOTHER prescription. I don't have access to waist high water to try that. My feet are so painful that I wouldn't be able to even get to a pool to try it out, and if I had to walk in the water even with that little amount of pressure on my feet, I would hurt way too much.

So now get this... Some of you may remember Wendy and I having conversations about her RA. I told her that on occasion, I have pain in my left wrist (at the inside wrist bone) that radiates toward my forefinger and stops at the big knuckles. Well yesterday, it was acting up again, and I thought, oh this is just some more of what I've had before, long before I ever started taking this last prescription of antibiotics. This morning, when I woke up at 6 and noticed I have a lot of pain, hot pain radiating from the center of my wrist, (palm up) halfway to my elbow. Around 10 this morning my right arm is now behaving the same way, and I have never had pains like this in my right arm. What gives? I'm thinking if I have to keep the BRS going, I'm going to definitely need to keep my at least one hand functional, so I can type on the keyboard. You guys know how much typing is involved in maintaining this site and communicating with so many different people for so many different reasons. Are you all up for some phone calls? Hee, not so funny.

My armchair physician's

My armchair physician's expert opinion is that taking the antibiotics probably threw your system out of whack, and is slowing your body's natural abilities to heal. In my googling, the Internet tells me that the antibiotics should be out of your system in two weeks, and then you can reassess your situation and see how you feel.

Thank you so much for that,

Thank you so much for that, Mrs. Deplume. I am too hoping that is the case. I just started taking antiinflammatories at lunch (the doctor's office failed to call them in last night). I wouldn't consider taking anything else "medical" if my condition wasn't so bad. I am so afraid of drugs now. Like I said before, I don't have good luck with them. We will see how well they work. I am taking Volatren (Dicofenac 75mg 2x/day) which is an NSAID pill and Voltaren 1% gel that I will apply 4x/day. From what I've read on the phamplets (of course, they all have scarey stuff), it's a slow acting medication, so I have no idea when it will start to work, but just laying here in bed pounding on my laptop, my feet have stopped "stinging" (that-stange-sunburn-on-the-inside-of-the-soles-of-my- feet sensation). Now, whatever reactions I have to this, I'm sure we will find out soon enough. :-( I decided to NOT put it on my arms though because I want to figure out how well the topical gel works first. Smart, huh? ;-)

My hubby picked up some

My hubby picked up some things from the Herb Shop yesterday: Some Liver Detox to flush out the antibiotics, some Skeleton Strength to repair the damage done to my tendons, and some probiotics (must be kept in fridge because it contains live microorganisms) to replace the good bacteria that was depleted from the antibiotics. I'm not worried about taking this stuff because it's all natural. I'll let you all know how I do with these as well.

Wow TJ, what an eye opener at

Wow TJ, what an eye opener at least you know how to approach your problems now.

Isn't rosacea an autoimmune condition? Somehow I vaguely remember reading that some long time ago.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks, Low & Dama.  I have

Thanks, Low & Dama. I have not heard that about Rosacea, Dama. I'll have to check into that. I do know that it is a vascular issue though.

Here's something you all will find very interesting I shared on another thread:

This is the cryosurgery procedure I had for Morton's Neuroma (not necessarily related to MT), and this is the doctor that had performed the procedure. He is also the one that invented CryoMax , which uses an ultrasound-guided probe. The other "handfule" of doctors who perform this surgery do not use an ultrasound-guided probe. Now who would you rather do your surgery? One that can see what they are doing or one that is going to take a best-guess estimate?

This procedure works for some people, but for me, it did not work at all, and if anything (I still have all four neuromas.), I am worse now than I was before, not including the possible tears I've developed.

The only reason you can walk after the procedure is because you also just received three numbing injections per neuroma to prep for the surgery, in my case 12 injections. Notice he says, no activity, running or athletics/sports for 48 hours! Yea, right! It took me 3-1/2 months before I could "attempt" running again.

This procedure may work for some, but it did NOT work for me. I wish it had. I really like this Doctor too. Dr. Katz really cares about his patients.

Well, he beeatched about it

Well, he beeatched about it cause he is so anti-hippie. (Loves Ken Bob though. Hee.) But he knew it would help me, and he does love me so much, after all.

Man TJ... every time I think

Man TJ... every time I think about what you must be going through mentally... it kills me. If you remember when I started BFR and I got hurt within 2 weeks??? Well, I really thought I broke myself and wondered why so many people could do this and I could not. I rested and came back and tried again... SLOWER. You told me that you really admired my determination for giving it another go.

During the time I was injured, it was the not knowing when/if I would get totally better aspect that really wore my mind down. Please hang in there, I just know your body will heal and you will be running with us again soon.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test