Update 6 weeks in

Mike UK

Barefooters
Jul 19, 2015
Newport Beach CA
Hello All,

I'm about 6 weeks in to barefoot running and thought I'd post an update!

I built up really slowly and didn't even do my first barefoot run until I'd done a few weeks of foot strengthening exercises and just being barefoot all day at home (I work from home and am quite lucky to be able to do that).

I can now run 1.2 miles-ish really comfortably and it feels great! I run pretty slowly, at about 10 minute mile pace, and hardly breathe hard at all, I can breathe through my nose the whole time. I get no foot pain and no muscle aches, just a couple of "hotspots" on the soles of my feet after runs but it quickly goes away and gets stronger for next time. I run about 50-50 on smooth pavement and rough sidewalk, no trails as yet.

Really glad I started and am looking forward to seeing what happens next! As soon as I can comfortably run that far, I will enter a couple of 5K's I think.

I tried Vibram 5 fingers but don't like them, despite really wanting to! I think they'd be great if your toes are exactly the shape that they make their shoes, but mine aren't. I nearly injured my toe just by walking in them for an hour, also tried 2 different models and 2 different sizes but no good.
I then tried Merrell Vapor Glove 2's and absolutely love them! Not for running, just general wear. The most comfortable shoes I've ever had, I now have 2 pairs. They are what shoes should be like!
I have a pair of Correct Toes which I like to wear at home and to stretch my feet after runs, they feel great. I'm not sure if there'll be any permanent change in my toes, but they feel good when they're on.

It's all been very exciting and my wife is always amused at seeing me stretching my feet and toes, reading about barefoot running and planning my next route etc etc! :)

I can't get past the avatar. It's PRECIOUS!