Unofficial 50K

Barefoot Dama

Barefooters
Jun 8, 2010
Iowa
Last night I ran my very first unofficial 50K on the TM.

First 28 miles BF and the rest in socks.

This is a milestone for me as I never though I could run this far.

I told my husband that I was going to run until I got tired or something hurt.

Well, I stopped at mile 31 cause my husband was freaking out. I wasn't tired and nothing hurt so it's a victory for me.

Sorry friends for the bragging but I am just so happy that I had to share.

This is a milestone for me as

This is a milestone for me as I never though I could run this far.

What about a milestone for running that far on a DREADMILL?! That's awesome! You go girl!

Thank you.To be honest the

Thank you.

To be honest the TM wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...for once.

Very impressive Dama!I'm

Very impressive Dama!

I'm curious as to how long this ended up taking, and I'm assuming it is an at home TM.

And what did you do for nutrition???

Barefoot Mary wrote:That is

Barefoot Mary said:
That is AMAZING!

You're my hero :D

Thanks Mary, you'll get there too one of this days.

Shacky wrote:Very impressive

Shacky said:
Very impressive Dama!

I'm curious as to how long this ended up taking, and I'm assuming it is an at home TM.

And what did you do for nutrition???

Shacky, to be honest about the time it took I can't say. My focus was on the distance so at every 5 miles I'll set the Mill back to zero and played with the speed but I can tell you for certain that I never went faster than 9mm. So I took the run 5 mi at the time. If I am going to guess a finish time I would probably guess anywhere between 5:00/5:30 hrs.

As for nutrition, I made a blend of spinach, shredded carrots, two small bananas, half a cucumber and about half a cup of raw pumpkin seeds. I added two tsp of chia seeds before drinking it. This is about one hr before the run.

During the run I was consuming a hammer gel with about six oz of water with Heed in it every hr regardless, and at the two hr mark I would take a salt packet.

I never ran out of energy and felt really good at all times. Today my legs feel so good like I haven't run for two days.

It is amazing.

Oh, and yea. I have a TM at home.

Socks because the belt felt

Socks because the belt felt too hot with only 3 miles to go??

How did you keep your mind occupied for all those hours?

You have every right to brag

You have every right to brag :) this is amayzing. 50K on the road is impressive, I can't even imagine being able to do 50K on a treadmill, that takes more willpower than I'll ever have.

@ Board,The reason I put

@ Board,The reason I put socks on was because the bottom of my feet were getting so sensitive that my form was getting affected and I didn't want to stop.

I traveled all over the world watching the Discovery channel. My mind wasn't concentrated on the run but rather on the beautiful places around the world. Time went rather fast.

@Angie, Thanks, I am still impress about your running and how far you've come.

@ajb, You know what day say, you can do anything you set your mind to and that is no BS.

I think what help me the most was breaking the run into the 5 mi sections and feeling good through out the run kept me motivated.

BrunoRuns

BrunoRuns said:
Re-Dic-U-Lus! in a good way!

Were you building up to that on the TM? What was the longest you did before this 50k on the TM?

Bruno, my longest run for this year was I think 23 mi outdoors early in the Spring and 18 mi on the TM I am not sure when but I am going to say maybe..two months ago? I did run a marathon last year the same Angie just completed.

Motivated by this thread I

Motivated by this thread I hit the treadmil today for the first time since February.

Tornado warnings, rain, 40+knot winds, and not having run since Friday also were contributing factors.

Felt sorta like Dama.....you know, breaking it up into segments and all?

Laced up the Feelmax Pankas to please the gym, let my mind wander, and completed a whole mile before shear boredom kicked in ending the first set.

Actualy wiped down the machine mostly for show, but soon hopped back on for another mile.

17 minutes of running is better than none, so I'm not TOO pissed at myself, but I am gonna have to learn how to

trick myself into enjoying the dreaded mill, after all, today's gale did serve to remind me that the party is just about over for the year here in Michigan.

Do they have an indoor track

Do they have an indoor track anywhere up there that would let you run barefoot?

Not to my knowledge, but I

Not to my knowledge, but I will check into it.

When I started treadmilling a year ago I was only running 13 minute miles for less than 10 minutes. I would elipticise for 15 mixing up forwards/backwards, incline, different resitances etc. to break up the monotony, hit the bike for 10, then the recumbant for 10-15 while moving my arms to whatever crap they were playing (I hate earbuds as much as I hate shoes)

5 minutes on the stair stepper, 5 on the T'mill, etc. Hey, at $15.95/month, I wanted to get my money's worth!

12 minutes was the longest session I ever did on the treadmill. When I took it outside in FL in Feb, I rapidly got up to 30 minutes straight while actualy enjoying it.

I might be able to trick my mind into doing 30 minute segments, this November/December will be interesting.

Maybe an indoor half mile track of varying outdoor type surfaces with a combination of city and country scenery on the perimeter with a crowd of people yelling "Go barefoot guy" would be just the ticket. Oh, and on the infield a pub filled w/BFRunners and a sign saying "free pint for each 3 miles completed"

The Pontiac Silverdome is still vacant after all these years, they used to let us rollerblade in it.....Maybe I'll look into the possibilities......

Who paid the rent there at

Who paid the rent there at the Silverdome when no one was using it? You'd need lights too! $15.95/month is a great deal for a gym; and so I know you are joking about getting your money's worth.

Not sure who was paying the

Not sure who was paying the rent, but check out these two stories:

The first one details the "Roll at the Dome" era, which our family really took advantage of, and the second shows that I'm exactly a year too late. (the date is not there, but it was Wall Street Journal November 2009)

What a bargain!!!!!

Article: The Detroit Area's Largest Indoor Rink Opens its Doors for Ninth Season, Dec. 2 at Pontiac Silverdome.Article from:pR Newswire Article date:November 30, 2000
Rollerblade throughout the Winter at the dome...
PONTIAC, Mich., Nov. 30 /PRNewswire/ --

In-line skating fans don't have to put away their skates for the winter. On Saturday, Dec. 2, the Pontiac Silverdome will kick off its ninth season of in-line skating, when 93.1 'DRQ, Elias Brothers' Big Boy and Stay In-Line present Roll-in-the-Silverdome(R).

Skaters of all ages and skill levels are invited to experience the world's largest in-line, indoor skating rink. Skating takes place on the Third Level Concourse, via the West gate, on the following dates:

* Dec. 2, 3, 7-10, 14-17, 29-31

* Jan. 11-14, 18-21, 25-28

* Feb. …
Pontiac Silverdome Sold to Canadian BuyerArticleComments (1)[/list] By CHRISTINA S.N. LEWIS
Pontiac, Mich., reached a deal to sell the 80,000-seat Pontiac Silverdome to an unidentified Canadian buyer for $583,000, about 1% of what it cost to build, the city said Monday.

The city said the buyer planned to convert the former home of the National Football League's Detroit Lions into a soccer facility. A city official declined to release further information until the deal was finalized.

Even though the price was low, getting the stadium into private hands was important for Pontiac's financial health, according to Fred Leeb, the city's emergency manager. "Even I have to admit that the number is lower than I would like," Mr. Leeb said. "But I'm happy that we made the decision. Procrastination was literally costing us millions of dollars."

The Silverdome stadium cost about $55.7 million to build in 1975. The Detroit Lions played there until the 2001 season after which the team left for a new stadium in downtown Detroit.

Pontiac, which has attempted to sell the Silverdome for years, put it on the auction block and offered it for sale to the highest bidder, with no minimum price. As recently as last year, developers offered $17.5 million for the property, which includes the stadium and the surrounding 127 acres. The stadium costs an estimated $1.5 million a year to maintain.

Potential buyers initially submitted bids Thursday. The city chose to invite those bidders to a live auction held Monday.

Write to Christina S.N. Lewis at [email protected]

It's hard to tell if that's

It's hard to tell if that's an investment or a sinker. I don't know about Detroit though. It's quite sad what has happened to that city.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test