TRAILBALL

Would you pay 20 euros (approx. USD 25) plus shipping for an official TrailBall?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No, I am not at all interested in this

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No, the balls are too expensive

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No, I don't think I would be able to get a team together in my area

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, but I don't understand how it will work?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think the 'pub' might be the best place to open this conversation, as whilst this is very closely linked to the barefoot style of running, and minimalism, and the Raramuri, and Born to Run, it is not EXACTLY to do with barefoot running ;)

I just wanted to sound out what the general opinion of BRS members is on TrailBall?

Some of you will already be aware that this is an infant sport invented by our own Christian Harberts, BRS French Chapter President, based loosely on Rarahipa, the ancient ball game played by the Tarahumara Indians in the Copper Canyons?

More details can be found here: www.trailball.net/en, and on our own forum here: http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/trailball.13870/ (doesn't translate well on Bing, sorry.)

A number of TrailBalls are already in circulation around the world, and challenges have taken place between teams in France and the UK - with France always winning so far! :(

I am trying to convince Christian that the way forward is to put the balls he has in stock in France on general sale to interested people, and then organise time trial competitions to take place around the world?

I am thinking that this could be a BRS Chapter Challenge maybe?

So, my question is shown above.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Paul

That looks fun. I was thinking about something like this when I first read Born To Run years ago. Anything to motivate the running, and makes the process a bit more social. Maybe add in some kicking between players to mange obstacles.

Are there 'rules' in english, or is it simply have your team get the ball to the end of the course as quickly as possible?

Reactions: paulbeales
Basically you're paying $25 for a ball (which is likely going to get lost in the woods), when I can go for a walk at Dog Beach, or any dog park, or near a tennis court, and find a free tennis ball to play with. Or, like the taramara, make your own or use a small stick.

Reactions: DNEchris and Sid
That's all very true Ken Bob.

You could also buy a much cheaper plastic ball from any 99p shop in the UK and run with that. The idea though is that this becomes a sport (or a brand I guess could describe it) where teams compete in organised competitions with results published on a global website. What you are actually buying is membership to a sport rather than just a ball. (Christian has also put a lot of effort into developing a bare tootsies and environmentally friendly ball too.)

I do understand your views though Ken Bob. Others have said this too.

This is why I am sussing out the general view of BRS members before I spend any time in trying to organise challenges.

Cheers,

Paul

Reactions: Sid
My understanding is that, in general, the historical development of any sport is something that is played recreationally with only a few basic rules, such as when kids play a pickup game of street hockey, soccer, basketball, etc. It's nice if standard equipment is always used, but often that is not the case. Once a sport gains a following and has gained momentum, then official rules and regulation equipment are enforced, so that people can compete fairly.

http://iqaquidditch.com/about/history
http://www.discgolf.com/how-to-play-disc-golf/disc-golf-history/

With rules comes the need for officiants. How can one hold a world record for Trailball, if there are no officials to verify that rules were followed?
http://iqaquidditch.com/get-involved/officials/become-a-referee
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/11/s...alking-is-more-complicated-than-it-seems.html

Fun first! Regulatory enforcement second.

Sounds interesting, and I appreciate the feedback. I like supporting the idea via purchasing the ball. As far as the question regarding a challenge for Wyoming.. at the moment, I would be the only participant. ;) If I can garner interest in the idea, I'll let you know.

I like the idea, I see it as a great concept for getting running groups together and doing something outside of the box and more group like. In fact once Christian sends me a ball I will probably use it daily.
I see it as a great solo training tool as well, along the vein of fartleks.

Guys, thanks for the feedback, especially Paul, who's our main TrailBall ambassador for the english speaking world ;-)

For those I have not yet met in person - I'm president of the French BRS chapter since May 2011, barefoot running advocate and barefoot marathon runner. The idea of TrailBall occurred about when I lost my last job, back in Spring 2012. I discovered a bit later that it in fact resembled the game of Rarahipa, as Paul correctly points out. I'm one who quotes his sources of inspiration, so this is clearly spelled out on the trailball.net site...

There's a heck of a lot of stuff to talk about. @Ken Bob - yes, you can lose the TrailBall in the woods, but the whole point is to take this on as a team - if you work well together, this is not a risk. I've NEVER lost a TrailBall here in Paris, in the past few years. In fact, that's part of the fun, making sure you keep things under control...

Standardized ball and rules - yep - maybe my germanic origins, but I feel we might as well work on official rules, with an official ball, to get everyone to have the same experience. I spent over a year testing different types of balls, before settling on this one, produced by a French company. I know - we still have to iron out the logistics, but the choice I've made allows ANYONE to play, including barefoot players like myself. The whole trademark issue I've got covered. Main thing, we have an appropriate ball and a young community. Good stewartship will take it from there.

Next step is an actual official commercial project, and this will likely require crowd-funding in France and/or USA. Interest is high, and I've got the supplier lined up. So what's needed before launching this kind of endeavour is a community that will bear the costs of such a project, involving injection molding. We're currently between the V1 prototypes (hand-signed btw ;-)) and a mass product available at a reasonable cost, with the added value of a community and a site to share experiences. Its a lot to put into place, but its going to happen - patience !

We'll keep you posted - the V1 balls are nearly all sold now, so we'll soon be having a discussion about building community internationally, and I think BRS would stand to benefit from early exposure to this sport.

Best regards,

Christian

Wyoming Trailballing away! I am considering kicking during my barefoot half-maraton on the 12th. Anyone tried doing that?

14360269297_4ec19b8d08_z.jpg

Check out www.trailball.net/en to see the current records. I don't think anyone has done 13.1 miles yet. PS - Keep a note of your time for the first 5K and see if you can take my World Title ;)

I got to try this for the first workshops hosted by Christian I wen to. I HATE football/soccer (depending on your side of the ocean), but this game does get you into it. It is both fun and efficient to get you to run properly and not stressing over it.

To be honest I kind of grew out of it, my main focus being set on having fun on running.

This game however serves a good educationnal purpose and makes it "easier" to step into barefoot/minimalism as you are not running but playing something that ressembles football/soccer. It makes a easier way into BF on the subject of social fears and the "what will my neighbours think of my running barefoot".

These are my own personnal views, and I have not put a single euro into the business.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts