Timing Chip Preparedness Warning

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
I had pretty much perfected my ankle strap system for D-tags as well as reusable chips, using velcro straps for the orange plastic D's and adding small cable ties for the cardboard returnables . Always over-prepared, I usually had with me a few different sets in various colors, as well as an extra wide glossy black strap for the more "formal" events.
In the days leading up to last Saturday's 5K the FB site for the event proudly displayed the race bib in a wall photo in order to show it off to their fans. I had not found any mention of chip type yet, so I commented " D-tag or B-chip?" just so I could know in advance. The race director answered "D-tag". Then a day later they posted " Sorry, it is B-chip". No big deal, even though I prefer D-tag for a few reasons, most importantly because you can fold up the bib very small and pin it to your shorts , whereas the B-chip bib must remain unfolded and on MY short thighs it becomes rather cumbersome.
The participants knew well in advance that there would be no parking anywhere near the start/finish due to a MAJOR (1.5million person) event it was tied to, so shuttle bus/far away parking was pre-arranged. I used the LB Van/bicycle combo instead, parking the vehicle at 5:45 am and riding (Pyramid Barefoot Pedals) to the venue.
Picking up my packet I was a bit surprised to find a D-tag! I had no ankle strap with me anticipating the bib chip, but it turned out that MOST runners were presented w/ the B-chip, while a small minority were given the D-tag.
I was forced to return to the LB Van/Motel/Lounge to fetch an ankle strap, and luckily made it back just in time for the start.
SO........even if you are anticipating a Bib Chip, bring a strap just in case...you never know.....it happened to me, it can happen to ANY BFRunner!
By the way the only known professional photo of me at the race shows me at the start, I could SWEAR I had just stepped on a rock! No recollection or bruise, but must have been!
http://photos.runmichigan.com/2012/August/5K-Start-2012-Cruise-in-Shoes/24849259_5Rjjqt/6/2034433306_mmDfNbM/Medium

Reactions: Sid
I guess I should just wear an anklet regardless.
BTW, I noticed a few runners at the start wearing bibs with the D-Tag still attached to it! They were N00bs I guess, and thought it was a bib chip like everyone elses. The D-Tag is not stuck on very tightly, and that high up it's not supposed to register. I asked on the FB site if there was any trouble with those, but nobody has responded so far.

You healed up and running? Back to your speedy self?
Thanks for asking Board, unfortunatly, it has been quite of strugle for me to go back to running.
It's been an up and down journey as matter of fact I am going have to take at least the rest of the week off from running and hopefuly it will help. I can't wait to get to were I was but I know it's going to be a long journey...:(.
Glad to see that you're back on the road-happy for you.

Thanks Dama.
Is your setback still from the surgery or just from the time off after the surgery?

Thanks for the tips Longboard. Glad you made the start ok.

My first barefoot race I didn't have an ankle strap yet. I held the chip in my hand and tried to keep it low over the start. Then I stuffed it into a camelbak pocket. At the finish I almost forgot about it with everyone yelling "go barefoot guy" and at the last second removed my pack and lowered it as I crossed the line. What a pain. The ankle strap is the way to go.

One problem I had with the Road ID (the thread is probably buried in the archives). I attached the chip to the metal band. It registered the start, but not the finish. At the next race I attached the chip to the opposite site of the metal ID tag and it worked just fine.

Thanks Dama.
Is your setback still from the surgery or just from the time off after the surgery?

Mostly is from the surgery as my first and second toes are still numb and very tingly particularly the tendon that runs along the big toe. When the big toe's tendon gets inflamed then the tendon that runs along the arch gets irritaded/inflamed and the pain travels to my arch and then up along to the outside of the leg and into the knee. That what is preventing me from running.
Sorry I vented my frustations on you Board but I know that the day will come. just need to be patient.

It's unrelated to your neuromas though, right?

Thanks BL.
That's because they shot from the left. My right biceps and deltoids are what atrophied and withered away from the cervical nerve impingment.
I had heard of special purpose asymetrical longboards, now I are one!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Reactions: Bare Lee
He looks better in person.
Thanks Dama, but that's bcause you had already been inhaling all those beer fumes from the rest of us in Grand Rapids!

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Thanks Dama, but that's bcause you had already been inhaling all those beer fumes from the rest of us in Grand Rapids!
Hahaha, so that's what it was! or maybe it was the "hot" sauce you brought ;)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test