The Barefoot Running Coach Certification Alternative

stop-believing-in-authority.jpg
The Barefoot Running Coach Certification Alternative
By Jason Robillard

This topic has been raised again recently in the forums here, and prompted the creation of the new Coach Talk forum; be sure to check it out. Thank you, Jason, for allowing us to republish your article. ~TJ

The barefoot running coach certification issue has created quite the firestorm of opinions, which I love. More and more barefoot runners are weighing in on the issue. Christian’s recent post has been one of the best, and not only because he agreed with some of my issues. At the end of the post, Christian states that barefoot running coach certification is acceptable because it’s better than the alternative, which is nothing.

If there were no alternative, I would agree.

Fortunately, there IS an alternative!

First, some perspective. I was a high school teacher for twelve years. Our system of formal education here in the US and most of the Western World is based on the idea that an all-knowing “teacher” will impart knowledge on inferior “students.” While we liked to talk about teaching things like critical thinking and logical discourse, we really spent all our time teaching students how to conform and be obedient to authority.

Such is the nature of a meritocracy.

We forced kids to jump through hoops to earn “credentials” like a diploma. Those that followed the rules like good sheep were rewarded. Those that rebelled against the system were punished until they fell in line. If they didn’t fall in line, they were banished for the system (dropouts.)

Creativity and original thought was only allowed if it fell within the acceptable range allowed by the “expert” (the teacher.) REAL original thought and dissent was ruthlessly crushed.

The Problem With Any Certification Program

What does this have to do with barefoot running coach certification?

Certification is based on the idea that an all-knowing “expert” deems what should be known and professes it to their students. Students are expected to follow their teachings in order to achieve the certification. The “expert” has determined they know the truth, and are the lone givers of this critical knowledge. Critical thought is squelched. The expert has no interest in learning from their pupils since there’s an imbalance in power. It’s a one-way street.

This system is the exact same bullshit that pervades our education system today. Shelly and I eventually got sick of swimming against the stream. My goal was to get students to think, not uncritically accept everything I say as “the truth.” I have seemingly obvious biases that pervade my teaching. I wanted my students to recognize that and challenge me. When that occurred, I knew I was successful in fostering their ability to think critically.

This is also the reason we decided to homeschool or kids… the current state of our education system rewards conformity and deference to authority, not critical thought. As long as our schools are obsessed with the Procrustus-like system of teaching to a standardized test, (thanks, No Child Left Behind), we’ll keep doing our own thing.

What is the Alternative?

Back to the cert issue. What is a better alternative?

We need to look at the free school movement, which I think is a far better alternative than our current school systems.

The idea is simple- anybody can teach anything they want to anyone that is interested in learning. The teachers are doing it as much to learn as they are to teach. Discourse is welcomed. Ideas are shared. The formal “expert” and “subservient pupil” dynamic is eliminated. Ideas are democratized, not monopolized.

What would this look like? Imagine an organization like the Natural Running Center as the organizing body. All of the members of the NRC could offer classes, either in-person or virtually. They would talk about their specific areas of expertise. Some would be research-based. others would give practical barefoot tips. Still others would talk about coaching best practices. Non-NRC members could also hold these classes. The idea would be to share as much divergent information as possible.

Information collectives always trump top-down authoritarian programs. Take the Run Smiley Collective as an example. It is a group of people dedicated to sharing the idea of celebrating the intrinsic joy of running. The group wouldn’t have as much impact if it were a single person acting as a Run Smiley Czar.

The NRC would also force a shift away from “barefoot running” toward the more inclusive “natural running” idea, which is something that needs to be done. Many of us have noted that barefoot running is a GREAT way to learn good form, but it’s not the only way. Focusing on natural running would include those that have already been doing similar work like the ChiRunning, POSE, Good Form, and Evolution Running folks.

Equal Opportunity

When I attended the NYC Barefoot Run, there were two well-defined groups- the “A” list Kudus (of which I was one), and the “B” list Merrell round-table members (of which I was also a member.) The implicit message was clear- the first group had more valid information to share. Pretty much everyone that was written a report noted the same thing.

I can unequivocally say every single member of the “B” team was just as qualified to share their own unique barefoot running knowledge as the “A” team. People like Josh Sutcliffe, Kate Kift, Pete Larson, Tucker Goodrich, Christian Peterson, Mark Cucuzzella, Justin Owing, etc. have just as much to contribute as Ken Bob Saxton, Ted MacDonald, Michael Sandler, and me.

The fact that we’re moving toward a model that marginalizes the thoughts and opinions of the B-list group is bullshit. Certification only reinforces the idea that some people are more qualified than others, which is clearly not the case. All of us, from the most well-known A-lister to the most obscure D-list blogger or forum participant to someone just starting the transition can provide valuable information to the community. Furthermore, several of the A-listers seemed to be the least likely to want to learn from others, which is the kiss of death for any teacher.

The highest compliment I received in a long time came from Patrick Sweeney’s report of the weekend. When holding my clinic in Battery Park, he noted I seemed to be just as interested in learning from the people that gathered around me as I was to teach them. It’s arrogant to assume others don’t have anything to teach me, even if they are my “students.”

Anyway, the people that would attend the NRC classes would be free to engage in discussion as they saw fit. Pupils are seen as equals with valued thoughts and opinions. Teachers would be learners as much as teachers. Through this method, anyone that has a novel idea about barefoot running would have the opportunity to share their ideas, get feedback, and stimulate intelligent discussion. THIS is the way ideas are shared and advanced.

If someone were interested in becoming a coach, they could list the classes they’ve “attended”, ideas they’ve shared, and their general philosophy on running and coaching. In practice, it would be similar to Christian’s idea of obtaining multiple certifications, then using that knowledge to choose the best method for each individual client (GREAT idea, BTW, but horribly expensive.) Based on the cost idea, this concept would open the coaching realm to those that cannot afford single certifications, let alone multiple certifications. Socio-economic status should NOT be a barrier to coaching.

Cost

One issue that has arisen is the cost of the current certifications. This is tricky as cost is an obvious problem for some people. I am a firm believer in the free sharing of information and ideas. However, I also recognize the need for people to be fairly compensated for the work they do. Vivobarefoot’s cert is expensive, but it also requires a ton of work on the part of the instructors. I don’t have a problem with that, especially since they also give away a ton of quality information. I don’t expect everybody to get rid of their belongings and move into a travel trailer to be able to afford to spread knowledge (though I would recommend it.) ;)

In my free barefoot school, the instructors could charge a nominal fee if they so desired, or they could offer their classes free of charge. If the class attendees were allowed to rate the class, the market would dictate appropriate fees. Ideally, everything would be free of charge, but that would require a larger battle with our capitalist society. Capitalism isn’t inherently bad, though it does tend to create financial barriers which can inhibit progress. Besides, there are enough of us willing to spread the word for free to keep the market prices very low.

[Edit- I'm not against the idea of charging fees in exchange for knowledge, it's just that we have to understand there's a trade-off. As soon as we charge money, we set up a barrier for entry. That can be an acceptable tradeoff as long as we acknowledge it exists. Furthermore, I am definitely not opposed to people making money off actual coaching. If people are spending time and effort on anything, they should be duly compensated.]

How to Assure Quality

What about quality assurance of coaches? After all, this is usually the first line touted in defense of any type of certification. The assumption is certification assures a minimum level of competence. Having been involved in all types of assessment development and deployment, I can safely say a test, whether it is objective or subjective, is one of the least valid measures of competence. Anybody can learn to pass a test if they understand the variables that go into making and grading the test.

There’s a more reliable solution to measuring and filtering competence: Community grading.

TJ Gerken, the founder of the Barefoot Runners Society, came up with a brilliant solution. She created a “barefoot coach locator” map which can be found here. Anybody that identifies themselves as a coach and offers services can add their names to the map which includes biographical information.

This idea could be taken a step farther by including the ability for clients to rate and add coach reviews. It would be a system much like what Amazon, IMDB, and Reddit uses to rank quality. Great coaches would get the highest marks. Sh!tty coaches wouldn’t. Want to measure competence? There’s no better method.

In Conclusion

If we’re genuinely interested in spreading ideas, we cannot support systems that act as gate-keepers to prevent any and all interested parties from participating. Certification-based systems do just that- they act as gatekeepers that prevent democratic participation.

The free school model of barefoot coach training an out-of-the-box solution, but I sincerely believe our old way of doing things is flat-out stupid. The more voices we have in the conversation, the more progress we make. There is a better alternative to antiquated certification systems, and this is it.

All of us, regardless of our pedigree, degrees, or past experiences, have the potential to be ground-breaking contributors. A certification system marginalizes people; it assumes only a select few have the capability to contribute. We need a system that’s based on the idea that all of us are valuable contributors. We need a system where we believe in each other. The free school idea does just that.

What do you think? Do you agree that everyone should have a voice in the barefoot community? Share your thoughts in the comments section!

Also, if you think this is a idea worth sharing, please share this post (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, forums, your blog, etc.) The more steam this idea generates, the more people we’ll get to participate, which will make it more successful.

http://barefootrunninguniversity.co...foot-running-coach-certification-alternative/

I think the best way for this to work is for a merger of the two schools of thought. The gate-keeper analogy doesn't work for me because I like the idea that the initial knowledge should come from somewhere other than personal experience. I've gotten many certifications in my life and all of them taught me something that is valuable to my ability to contribute to a collective. I think being able to provide a testable base education is a valuable thing to allow the bigger picture to grow. I've worked around and with many people over my career and there were plenty of people who have practiced without learning and then tried to teach. Some were successful but I've found the majority to be unsuccessful because they don't have an actual education on what they are doing that they can share. Take the case of the big meat head at the gym. Everyone would like to have the definition or strength or whatever but he can't teach them how to do it because they are different than he is. They don't have the same genetics and don't respond the way he does so he has no ability to impart knowledge because he doesn't understand the basic levels of the training.

I think the best bet is to have a way to standardize (only slightly) the basic information that one would need in order to be a good coach and contributor to the collective. Once you've got a basic understanding of things then I think you can offer more to the growth of the movement's knowledge base because you can articulate your own personal learning's. The ideas of bio-mechanics, kinetic chain, anatomy etc. should be taught or learned at some point in order to give you the ability to be a good coach because they will allow you to understand people.

I like the idea of ratings as that is how I get my clients. I do zero advertising or plugging of myself yet I never want for business. I get emailed, called, and approached all the time by people who were referred to me. I love and revel in this because it means I am doing a good job. It's the best way to know if you're doing a good job because it's a very simple measuring stick.

I'm all for a free school of thought and teaching but I think it would work better in a specified circle. Everyone can be invited but I think putting out a certain level of initial effort to display your desire to be a part of it is good as well.

Reactions: Bare Lee
...words...

I think a good idea would be to come up with some minimum coaching knowledge guidelines for those wanting to do serious coaching. I totally agree that anyone with information to share should be able to do so, but I also think it would be a good idea to come up with a minimum list of topics a person should be versed in before attempting to do any real-world coaching with another person.

These would be loose guidelines, so it wouldn't be any sort of certification. Something simple along the lines of:

Before attempting to coach others you should have a thorough understanding of the following topics:
1. Topic X
2. Topic Y
You should also have a basic understanding of the following:
1. Z
2. A

I am by no means very experienced in BFR (or running in general) or coaching, but I know if I was interested in starting to coach others a list like this would help me get on the right path. Nobody wants to do a bad job, and if they are presented with the information to be successful they are typically more likely to do a better job.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
The proof is in the pudding. Certification could work in a gate-keeping function, but it could also ensure minimal standards, as Jimmy and Mark suggest. It all depends on how it's set up, who's running it, what kind of feedback loops are built in to correct mistakes, etc. I would certainly rebel if someone told me they were the guru of BFR, or made some kind of proprietary claim to it ("I've been doing it for x number of years, and have run x number of races, so I have final say"), but I also don't want Barefoot So-and-so, who's been running BF since they read BtoR, but hasn't read anything else, to make exaggerated or unfounded claims about their coaching competence either. And then of course there's the difference between doing, knowing, and teaching. An accomplished runner or researcher may be a terrible coach, so Jason's client ratings and Jimmy's referral popularity are two good ways of finding out who is the best natural running coach.

Willie based on your stance then no sport should have a certification. Barefoot running is no different than any other sport or type of running. Everyone gets into them all for different reasons and there are more approaches than anyone could ever list but I still want qualified coaches teaching me how to do things. I hired many coaches throughout my career and all of them had a list of educational marks to back them up. They also had experience on their resume and those were the first two things I looked for. If I felt they had the credentials I was looking for then I spent some time with them training to see if our personalities and training philosophies clicked. If everything fell into place then that coach was retained and we got to work.

At first I think just about anyone with some experience could have coached me but after a couple of seasons I had learned enough that I needed people with more knowledge and experience to learn from. The training became more technical and I needed to focus on the finer tuning side of racing so the average Joe with a base level of personal experience wasn't capable of meeting my needs. The only way for me to do a pre-screen of these coaches was to start with their education.

Jimmy, I was just wondering: do we really need specifically barefoot running coaches? Since elite shod runners run with the same form as barefoot runners, wouldn't just a good running coach suffice? There's already a lot of those around. The specifics of transitioning to barefoot running--calluses, different surfaces, and so on--one can mostly pick up in a book or online, it seems to me.

Lee you've hit it right on the head if I'm completely honest. A good coach that is well rounded and knows what they are doing could coach someone into barefoot running. The big key for them to be successful is experience. I've talked with and read a lot of stuff from other high level run coaches and some of them get it but others still offer advice that isn't quite right. The reason? Actual experience with barefoot running. I started using barefoot running in my training when I was 17 at the urging of some very high level coaches. I've used it ever since and even got to a point where I really liked running bare more than in shoes. I don't solely coach barefoot runners though because I'd be poor and bored if I did. I work with shod runners and athletes that want to run better no matter the situation so I incorporate everything in the program. I'd love to have a barefoot run coaching cert to add to my resume if there was a credible one that didn't think they had a "million dollar" value because it would make me look good ;-)

There are a few smaller nuances that a barefoot education and even experience would provide that are necessary though. That is why I support a certification. The biggest thing a barefoot coach needs to know is how to identify the proper transition period for each individual client. They need to know what to look for in order to see how they current plan is working and then how to make adjustments based on the signs that training is yielding. The other issue at hand is that there are a lot of experienced barefoot runners wanting to teach the experience but don't have an overall education that they really should and a good certification course can provide some of that learning. The public also wants some sort of credential present so they "know" you know what you are doing. These are the areas where a certification can come in very handy.

Reactions: Bare Lee
OT, Barelee. i notice you say when you build your callouses a lot on here. are talking emotional callouses? i've been running bare for two years and don't have any. in fact the ones i had are disappearing completely. with good form you won't get callouses. just thick skin.

now as far as personality, i've been very calloused for many years. ;)

OT, Barelee. i notice you say when you build your callouses a lot on here. are talking emotional callouses? i've been running bare for two years and don't have any. in fact the ones i had are disappearing completely. with good form you won't get callouses. just thick skin.

now as far as personality, i've been very calloused for many years. ;)
Migangelo, we're talking about the same thick skin, just have different definitions of 'callus' (I corrected the spelling in the above comment). Mine is in line with Wikipedia's:

"A callus (or callosity) is a toughened area of skin which has become relatively thick and hard in response to repeated friction, pressure, or other irritation. . . . Activities that are notorious for causing calluses include (but are not limited to) playing musical instruments, martial arts, many sports, weight training, dancing (especially ballet), digging, praying, chopping wood, and wearing high heels."

The calluses on my soles are smooth, but tend to crack on my heel, probably due to the extra flexing there. If I play bass or guitar with any regularity, I get them too, and have small ones on the opposite side of my knuckles from (barehanded) weight-training.

Now... Are we talking about calluses or callouses? ;)
2436062056_70b584dde9.jpg
callus_21915_lg.jpg

I think the operative word in the definition of callus is "hardened", which is what Migangelo is saying his skin isn't ... mine either. It's actually very soft. Thick and soft, like my head, lol!
Yah, the definition for the nominal form is better: "relatively thick and hard" (emphasis added). When people ask to see my soles, they're always surprised at how soft they are, which I take to mean that the soles are not nearly as hard as they expected, but still not as soft as a shoddie's. So we can discuss the relative thickness or hardness of our calluses, but I'm not aware of another word that describes this adaptation to friction, pressure, or other irritation. And now that I'm taking on even rougher surfaces, I expect my calluses will thicken even more.

which I take to mean that the soles are not nearly as hard as they expected, but still not as soft as a shoddie's. .

but that isn't really true - if it were, a whole branch of the women's cosmetic products industry would crumble. People with shoes get calluses. Especially women who wear evil dress shoes all day. They spend hours treating their feet with creams and dangerous callus scrapers.

(Long-time) barefoot runners really don't have callused skin, really. It's not "relatively thick and hard", it's not hard at all. I don't think it's especially thick, either. It's leathery, lol, a weird word, and also not 100% accurate, but it's not calluses ... No cracking, no pain, no flaking, no bleeding - all things associate with real calluses.

Reactions: NickW
but that isn't really true - if it were, a whole branch of the women's cosmetic products industry would crumble. People with shoes get calluses. Especially women who wear evil dress shoes all day. They spend hours treating their feet with creams and dangerous callus scrapers.

(Long-time) barefoot runners really don't have callused skin, really. It's not "relatively thick and hard", it's not hard at all. I don't think it's especially thick, either. It's leathery, lol, a weird word, and also not 100% accurate, but it's not calluses ... No cracking, no pain, no flaking, no bleeding - all things associate with real calluses.
I thought calluses from shoes developed in other places, mostly around the edges at points of contact/pressure, not on the soles. But I don't really know, as I've never worn unsensible shoes much.
As for definitions, I'm happy to follow the official ones. I've been a casual barefooter most of my adult life (some thirty years), have run barefoot during two different periods in that time (currently and 20 years ago), and had decent leathery (i.e., relatively thick) soles while training karate everyday for several years. I've also played bass (electric and stand-up) and guitar since I was a teenager. It never occurred to me to call the adaptation of my skin to these stimuli anything but calluses, but if there's a better, perhaps unofficial term that can be used to distinguish between healthy versus unhealthy varieties of this adaptation, I'll be happy to use it. I think the physiological process is the same however, so perhaps just an adjective in front or a noun compound might do the trick to make sure we know we're talking about the good kind. I think you're right in that a lot of people only use 'callus' to describe an unhealthy or painful condition, but I don't think that is medically correct. In any case, all of the musicians I've ever been around have always referred to their 'calluses,' which, just as with the soles of BFRers, become relatively smooth with time. I think there was a discussion of this on some other thread too, with most people agreeing with your position that our soles' plantar development is something other than callusing. Hard to imagine that two different processes are involved, but I try to keep an open mind . . .

BL, I used to have calluses and I think the big difference now is my skin is smooth and flexible. My calluses that I've had in the past were very segmented and hard. They were not smooth either. They always would flake and be super dry. My wife comments on how great my feet look now, except after a run when she's shooing me into the shower to clean them that is.

BL, I used to have calluses and I think the big difference now is my skin is smooth and flexible. My calluses that I've had in the past were very segmented and hard. They were not smooth either. They always would flake and be super dry. My wife comments on how great my feet look now, except after a run when she's shooing me into the shower to clean them that is.
Yah, I agree we're talking about two different things, it's just a question of how to describe them: Healthy versus pathological calluses? Or calluses versus something else?

It seems to me that pathological calluses occur when the stimulus is 'unnatural' or more than the skin can handle. The folks I worked with in Mozambique had soles like a BGRer's, except they sometimes did get the heel fissures too, due to the fact they walk rather than run. That's what I've always experienced during the times in my life when I've done a lot of barefoot walking. This spring I walked my daughter to day care a lot, and got the same heel fissures again, but now they're diminishing in the summer, since I mostly just run now and drive everywhere else.

I think what you've experienced is a healthy adaptation to a new stimulus. At first your body overreacts, but then it settles in. I've gone through this many times, basically whenever I'm in a temperate climate. Every spring I have to rebuild my calluses when I start to walk barefoot outside again. I always overdue it, my heels overadapt and develop fissures, then sometime in the summer the heels become relatively smooth again, but never as smooth as the skin on my soles. My soles, on the other hand, never pass through this stage. Perhaps there's enough callus (or callus-memory?) left over from the previous fall, I dunno. When I took up full-on barefoot running again mid-spring last year, I already had nice plantar adaptation from early spring BFW, which probably contributed to my TMTS, since I never had to worry about blisters.

In any case I don't really care what they're called, but until I began participating in this forum, I wasn't aware of a second, uncalloused option. I think since barefooting is fairly new for a lot of people (<3 years), and a lot of people come to barefoot running as runners rather than barefooters, they have had problems with the bad kind of calluses caused by shoes, previous to the switch, and aren't aware of the good kind. I guess since I've always heard this term used when referring to the build up of skin when playing string instruments, or when using the hands for weight-lifting or manual labor, it never occurred to me that there might be something else going on with my feet. I doubt there is, but if there is, I'd appreciate finding out about it.

with you using the term callus and everyone else who thinks bf'ers get callused feet i steer clear of it. my feet aren't callused, they are leather thick and smooth. i tell people that. your skin doesn't get callused but gets thick and smooth like leather. of course they are always skeptical and usually don't want to see my feet. oh well.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts