Stuck by a thorn - swelling

Discussion in 'Ask the Docs' started by PatrickGSR94, Mar 28, 2012.

1. PatrickGSR94 Barefooters
    1. Tennessee
    2. Mississippi

Message Count:
    Found some forest trails near my house, so took my son along them this evening. Not a minute after we started down the trail, I stepped on a stick with a thorn sticking straight up. It punctured straight into my right foot along the outer edge, right at the base of the 5th metatarsal where the bone makes a slight bump along the edge of the foot.

Well instead of going right home, we kept on going through the woods and through the park. It bled a little bit after I pulled the thorn out, but stopped pretty quickly. After that, though, I noticed some red swelling around the area.

I do not believe there are any pieces of the thorn embedded in the skin. It doesn't feel like there's anything foreign in there. I just feel kind of a dull soreness right now if I press on the area.

After returning home I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol, poured some hydrogen peroxide over it, put a bandage with Neosporin ointment on it, and then tried placing a bag of crushed ice around it for awhile while lying on the couch with my foot elevated. Hasn't seemed to help much as there's still some swelling.

Is there something I can do to take care of this or will I need to see a doctor?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

2. Dr. Gangemi_SockDoc Barefooters

Message Count:
    None of us docs would tell you NOT to go see a doctor, since you're not actually a patient. So use your best judgement. You don't run off to the doc for a hangnail, but a hangnail that gets infected and your finger starts rotting, well, you get the idea...

3. PatrickGSR94 Barefooters
    1. Tennessee
    2. Mississippi

Message Count:
    Yeah this evening it seems to be a *little* bit better, but I can still feel the swelled area when standing (like something is stuck to the bottom of my foot) and there still a slight dull ache if pressure is applied around the area. It definitely doesn't look as swelled up as last night.

I guess I'll just wait and make sure it doesn't get worse, and maybe see a doc next week if it's not completely better. Just curious, should I see my regular doc about this or a podiatrist? I guess a thorn stick really isn't foot-specific, but it is in the foot area, so.... ?

*edit* anything you would suggest to help reduce the swelling? Thanks for looking, Doc. :)

4. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    It sounds like there's something still in there, even a little-bitty something you can't see or feel by touch. I would see the podiatrist, only because they are more specific with the foot, but I guess it really doesn't matter in this case.

Sorry, Dr. G., I had such an urge to answer. ;)

5. Dr. Gangemi_SockDoc Barefooters

Message Count:
    I use tea tree oil - great natural anti-septic.

6. Dr. Nirenberg Barefooters

Message Count:
    The thorn is in your foot or part of it is. I would soak a lot in warm water and Epsom salts, and start some antibiotics, as it is looking infected. Add Betadine to the Epsom Salts.

7. PatrickGSR94 Barefooters
    1. Tennessee
    2. Mississippi

Message Count:
    Thanks for the suggestions, but it's pretty much healed up now. All swelling and redness are gone, and it does not feel like there's anything foreign under the skin when I apply pressure to the area.