Stride Rite Recalls Girl's Sandals Due to Choking Hazard

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
What is this country coming to? Just plain R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S :wideeyed:

Reactions: happysongbird
Are you kidding me? Wow, you know if a kid is determined enough they can bite through the leather which can then become a choking hazard itself... Oh no! :wtf: What is this world coming to? People are way to damn sue happy anymore. Ridiculous.

Are you kidding me? Wow, you know if a kid is determined enough they can bite through the leather which can then become a choking hazard itself... Oh no! :wtf: What is this world coming to? People are way to damn sue happy anymore. Ridiculous.

Well maybe people will get so sue-happy that they'll have to recall all children's shoes, and kids will go barefoot again. That certainly wouldn't be a problem!

Reading the report is interesting. 7,500 pairs sold, 6 flowers came off and 11 were loose. So that is 17/7500*100 = 0.23% failure rate. Who knows what happened to the shoes once they left the store, i.e. kids playing with the flower to cause it to come loose. Oh, also included in the report is 0 repeat zero reported injuries.

The company has to replace 7500 shoes at what $30 a pair plus shipping. Probably a million dollar recall cost for them. All because of a statistically insignificant failure rate and no injuries. Wow.

It's the state of affairs today. People are litigation crazy. While the failure rate may be statistically insignificant the cost of a preemptive recall is probably far less than the eventual legal cost resulting from a child's death. Personally I think it's asinine, but company's that can afford to be, have to be proactive on these matters. It's sad really. I think the love of litigation comes from a cultural trend towards lack of personal accountability and an obsession with rapid wealth attainment by any means.

My astonishment, when posting this thread, wasn't about the litigation issues, but the fact that kids are eating their shoes. :nurse: :doctor: Although you all make good points! :greedy: