Ssshhhhhh...

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
I am recovering from mono and my energy has significantly increased in the last two days. I was actually able to be up and about for 8 hours straight the last two days, and only slept about 10 hours both nights. With what energy I've had, I've been mainly engaging in meticulously slow swimming for exercise over the last week and a half.

The pool I go to has a gym too, so, yesterday I decided to try out the treadmill in my Runamoc Moc3s. I have never ran "barefoot/minimalist" on a treadmill before, so I was a bit leary. I'm totally weak, so I only did 10 minutes with a couple of 30 second breaks along the way. I discovered that a speed of 2.7 allowed me to actively run, rather than the treadmill dragging me along. I was surprised that was able to do that. I was actually better able to keep my form correctly, since I was able to concentrate only on that as opposed to looking out for roots, rocks and slugs, like when I am on the trails.

Boring as hell though. Not sure how anyone could run on one of those regularly. Given my weak state, the gym is going to be my home for awhile in order to prepare me to get back to running trails. I might actually have to listen to music. If it were summer, I would go back to the trails now! But, I cannot transistion to muddy, slick, slippery, when I am basically starting completely over, with running - especially since running in those conditions is a completely different animal.

I was pleasantly surprised, and relieved, that I was able to achieve a normal running "feel" on the treadmill!

Glad to hear you're getting over the glandular fever. I had it when I was a freshman in high school and as a freshman in college.

Reactions: jldeleon
Glad to hear you're getting over the glandular fever. I had it when I was a freshman in high school and as a freshman in college.

Wow. I have heard that it is possible to get all viruses more than once. Joy.

So who've you been kissing on, Jen?

And I too thought you only got mono once, and once you did, it stayed with you for life. My mom gets cold sores all the time.

And I too thought you only got mono once, and once you did, it stayed with you for life. My mom gets cold sores all the time.
Cold sores are a Herpes virus (type I) and like the more famous Herpes type II virus it lives in your nerves for life and provides recurring symptomatic lesions. Chicken Pox virus lives inside you forever as well, and when it decides to recur it is shingles as we were talking about somewhere in these forums recently.

And mono is herpes, I just didn't want to call it...that. Mono is caused by Epstein-Barr virus, a member of the herpes family.

And mono is herpes, I just didn't want to call it...that. Mono is caused by Epstein-Barr virus, a member of the herpes family.

Not to be confused with the Roseanne-Barr Virus which makes you talk in an unfunny irritating manner...

Guess you will have to wait and see who comes down with it next! ;)

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
OK, I freaking cracked. I've had regular energy for 3 days now. And my back has been bothering me so bad that I only got 5 hours of crappy sleep last night from my back tweaking out -I cracked. Hit the trails today in my self-modified VFFs and ran 2.5 miles, walked 1, in the rain and mud and it was AWESOME!!! My back already feels lke 20% better. And NO spills, hence, no ruptured spleen. :) Going to do a recovery run tomorrow, and a recovery run from my recovery run the next day. BWAHAHAHHAAAA!!!

Funny you say that Jen (I'll behave myself since this is not in the pub).;) I just read an article that you should consider running on a treadmill for recovery if you have sore muscles. Suppose to be less impact than running out in the conditions. I would disagree with that. I hate treadmills and would run in Hokas before getting on one. Just my preference, I know they serve a purpose for some.

So good to hear Jen. :)
I remember we actually got sick about the same time and you were debating whether or not you should try and run the next day! Luckily for me I was recovering the next day and running again the second day, but your sickness turned out to be much more severe! Just take it easy getting back into it and you'll be back up to speed in no time.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test