Sport Kilts - Hiking and 'The Works'

Dawsy

Barefooters
Oct 2, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If you're like most people, then chances are you've never had the opportunity, nor the inclination, to run without pants on. I was in the same boat only a few short weeks ago, before the opportunity presented itself, and I was able to try it for myself.
Luckily for the general public, this came in the form of a pleated length of plaid fabric, otherwise know as a kilt! Or, in my case, a Sport Kilt.
kilt2.jpg

When I first heard about kilted running, I thought that the idea was a bit
crazy. I've worn kilts before, and the idea of running around with a couple kilos of
heavy wool around my waist was far from appealing. But when I heard that a
US company was making lightweight, sweat-wicking kilts as activewear, I knew
I had to try one out.
kilt6.jpg

As a barefoot runner, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a bit different to most people. I take my running very seriously and came to barefooting as a way to improve performance and stay healthy.
It took a bit of a leap to make the transition to barefoot running, but in the end, it has been rewarding and exhilarating. I'm finding the same thing with wearing a kilt.
I live in Australia, where the summers are hot, and winter is only a mild improvement. Finding ways to stay cool is a constant challenge, especially when coupled with the need to stay protected from UV rays, etc. Sport Kilt has given me a great new tool in my arsenal to help with this.
I've been lucky enough to have the chance to review 2 different styles of kilt: A Hiking kilt and a 'The Works' kilt.
kilt3.jpg

The Hiking kilt is a lightweight, athletic kilt that's as minimal as a kilt can be. It's essentially a piece of pleated fabric that wraps around you and is secured with thick velcro around the waist. The velcro makes it really easy to get on and off, and will come in handy when I have to let it out over the holidays!
kilt1.jpg

The Works kilt is a slightly thicker, dressier version of the hiking kilt. It has sewn-down pleats which improve the way the kilt hangs, and lend it a more fancy feel. It has lovely leather straps and metal buckles, as well as the hidden velcro fasteners, that make it look more authentic and dressy. On top of all this, it even has nice hidden pocket! I would wear my Works kilt to a wedding or formal occasion just as easily as I'd go hiking in it.
For testing, I've worn both, mainly for trail hiking and running, and usually in warm weather.
I found that performance-wise, the hiking kilt was much better for trail running. It's very lightweight and super comfortable. The only real drawback I've found is that I'm reluctant to sit down in it, as I don't want to get it dirty...though this makes me run more, so may not be a bad thing.
kilt7.jpg

The Works kilt is a more formal, yet still rugged kilt, that would be well suited to tournaments and spectator sports. I can see highland gamers wearing these, for example. As the weather cools off, I can see myself wearing my Works kilt more and more for hikes as it sits a bit nicer and is slightly heavier than the Hiking kilt.
Running in a kilt is to running in pants what running barefoot is to wearing shoes. It's cool, and airy and makes you feel alive and in touch with the elements. I've yet to try it in the cold, so I can't comment on the inverse conditions, but for the heat, it's been a godsend.
There is a perception that wearing a kilt comes with a lot of baggage that may put you off. What if you're not Scottish, or want to wear something underneath?
The truth is that this stuff is only an issue if you choose to make it one. If you're Scottish and want to show off your heritage, then go for it, if not, there's nothing stopping you from picking a pattern you like and running with it. You don't even need to go plaid, as Sport Kilt also have a bunch of camouflage kilts too. As for what to wear underneath, that's up to you, and regardless of what you do or don't wear, it won't stop people from trying to guess!
The thing is, a Sport Kilt is just like any other piece of running gear. You put it on, and go do your thing. It doesn't matter if you want to wear compression tights underneath, or if you don't have a family tartan. If it feels good and you like how it looks, then just wear it!
kilt8.jpg

Altogether, I was really surprised at how well the Sport Kilts felt. They were light and airy, and did the job of keeping me cool beautifully.
Despite being made of high-tech materials, these kilts come in at a fraction of the cost of a traditional kilt (starting from ~$80). If you're a barefoot runner, the money you're saving on shoes would be well spent on one of these.
Will I wear it for every training run? Probably not, but it's become one of my go-to trail running outfits, and will certainly feature prominently in future races!
I'd like to thank Sport Kilt for providing sample kilts for review. If you're interested in trying one out yourself, head over to SportKilt.com and check them out!
Written by BarefootDawsy from BeginningBarefoot.com
All photos taken by Sam Dumworth

Reactions: PB Junkie and Gidds
kilts are so last year. loin clothes are the thing. look at my avatar. i won't blind everyone with another pic of my backside.

kilts are so last year. loin clothes are the thing. look at my avatar. i won't blind everyone with another pic of my backside.

Did I miss something? I don't remember being blinded...did anyone get photos of this blinding???

Thanks to Mike, I'm going to run in the Mayan End of Days Run in a loincloth (as long as the duo is not there). Where is a good place to order one?. Might have someone make one but the end of days is coming soon.

Reactions: NickW and jldeleon
Hilarious!!! You can order them on Amazon. We have a year round costume shop here that sells them -maybe you have one there. But what everyone should REALLY be wearing is a "LEATHER KILT". :D :D :D http://www.amazon.com/Elegant-Momen...UTF8&qid=1353425400&sr=8-5&keywords=loincloth
I need to lose a lot of weight I were going to wear something like that... No one wants to see this chubby fella running around in something like that... Lol! Although, eating like crap for the last week or two and I somehow lost weight... Hmmmm, maybe if I can just keep this running up...

Oh, I know better than to click a Jen link. Why did I do it? It was ok until I got to the N2N net bikini. I kind of like some of the female outfits though. This isn't where we are getting our H2C costumes I hope.

There is a lady that custom makes moccasins that I am going to talk to. Maybe she can custom make a loincloth, I'd like a real one, not plastic.

Maybe TFox could make some and call them Unshorts.

@Nick - I hate this time of year. I have been running more than ever, eating healthy, cut back on beer, and I am still gaining a few. The race might give me incentive to do a little upper body work.

Reactions: jldeleon and NickW
@Nick - I hate this time of year. I have been running more than ever, eating healthy, cut back on beer, and I am still gaining a few. The race might give me incentive to do a little upper body work.
Me too Rick. I am trying to be good but I've noticed whenever I go really over board on the healthy eating schtick like I was for the last couple months, I end up crashing like I am right now and go on long benders of eating like crap (trying to turn that around).

Me too Rick. I am trying to be good but I've noticed whenever I go really over board on the healthy eating schtick like I was for the last couple months, I end up crashing like I am right now and go on long benders of eating like crap (trying to turn that around).

See - I do that, too....I can go a few weeks eating very well and exercising and losing weight (but not approaching the looks of the cat in the leather kilt) and then it's like my body says "Welp, enough of that - you shall now eat nothing but crap...and don't try any of that waiting 10 minutes or drinking water or meditating because we'll only make it worse on you"....and down the hatch I go...

...and yes, mental note: Be cautious when clicking on any of Jen's links...

Reactions: NickW
I guess I better apologize for the thread hijack. Twice.

You guys just ease into the healthy eating, just like barefoot running.

Back to Kilts, I suppose I should check one out, I do have some Scottish in me. From my heritage, I have skied in a Sumo mawashi (Japanese), I have run in Lederhosen (German), so the next thing to do is hike in a kilt (Scottish) while carrying tea in my water bottle (British).

Back to Kilts, I suppose I should check one out, I do have some Scottish in me. From my heritage, I have skied in a Sumo mawashi (Japanese), I have run in Lederhosen (German), so the next thing to do is hike in a kilt (Scottish) while carrying tea in my water bottle (British).

Scottish, British, German AND Japanese? Wow - your holidays and family functions must be insane!

there's a guy on you tube who shows you how to make a loin cloth. it has a "cup" and string under it. a bit exposed for my tastes. yes, i talk a big game and don't always put out. you can also wrap clothe around you which other videos show you how to do. i may do that and see how the chaffing goes.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw