So, what do you all do during the winter?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Shaun Mac, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Shaun Mac Barefooters

Message Count:
    Do you hit the treadmills or have you got something special you wear on your feet to battle the cold and snow? In my limited experience I find that I can handle the treadmill heat if I wear a pair of socks when I run, but I don't think the 5 fingers are going to be warm enough for a MN winter.
  2. Smelph Barefooters

Message Count:
    Check out this article:

Check out this article: http://barefootrunners.org/story/winter-barefoot-running-challenge-barefooting-bob-credits-smelph-running-barefoot-and-barefoot

That ought to get you started

3. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    I've worked down to 27

I've worked down to 27 degrees farenheit when the ground is dry, upper 40s when wet. Of course, I will have to start all over come this winter, as each winter.

Here's some of the best tips I can offer:

Keep your core warm! It's so true. Bundle up everything else. Your body will be so warm, you will be able to shed some of the heat through your feet.

Keep your feet warm until you have to step out in the cold, meaning if you run from your front door, stand by the fireplace or heater, and if you run from your car, have the heater vent turned to your feet while you drive to get there.

If you are going to be racing in winter, don't stand around letting your feet get cold. Wear a thick pair of wool socks to keep them warm until gun-time, then take them off and go!

4. Shaun Mac Barefooters

Message Count:
    Thanks Smelph. Never thought

Thanks Smelph. Never thought about road salt?
  5. Smelph Barefooters

Message Count:
    You're welcome! That was a

You're welcome! That was a lot of combined wisdom from a bunch of us who ran through last winter bare as often as possible. I'm looking forward to applying what I learned this coming winter!

6. Barefooting Bob Administrator
    1. Canada
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Smelph wrote:You're welcome!

Ditto from this Canuck. You will be surprised what you can do with the right preparation and the willing to give it a try.

7. swedishpimple Barefooters

Message Count:
    Even though I don't live in

Even though I don't live in the ideal climate for it right now... my passion is for cross country skiing. So when the snow blankets North East Ohio... you can bet I'll be on my skis. That being said... I've found my tolerance for barefoot running in cold to be very similar to the temps TJ listed for wet and dry pavement. Any colder and I start to get some numbness.

Could I push it even further? Almost certainly. I agree that keeping the core warm is key.

But to be honest as much as I love BFR... skiing is really where it's at for me.

S. Pimp.