Slippers seem lame...why?

JeffOYB

Barefooters
Mar 8, 2011
Hi! I'm new here, but I've been trying to strengthen and "enliven" my feet for a few years now.

I've been an aerobic athlete for 30 years and my feet are used to being coddled and supported. I'm finally tired of them seeming like dead white fish when I take the shoes off. The poor things! I'm also tired of getting a foot injury every time I do something like play a little beach volleyball or frisbee in soft grass.

It feels REALLY GOOD when I walk around barefoot, so that's what I've been trying to do. The feet grip and work and flex -- it has to be good for them.

But here in Michigan it has been wintery cold. In winters I wear slippers -- leather bottom, fleece-lined, slip-ons. I would think that they might benefit my feet but in the end it seems like they don't. It seems like it's the sloppiness within the slipper that is a problem. Is there a better way to go and still stay warm?

When it gets warmer I've been wearing thin, indian-style moc's -- those seem somewhat better.

There's nuttin' like barefoot, though. I have a hunch that I could get my feet used to the cold. My hands do pretty well when it's cold. Is this possible?

Are there any good articles or chats about slippers, mocs, and their function out there?

Thank you! --JP

Welcome, JP!We have lots of

Welcome, JP!

We have lots of members from Michigan, and they all have stories about dealing with the cold. I think leather moccasins would be the healthiest way to go and may keep you warm with a pair of loose fitting wool socks. I know that's not the best thing for the feet, but as long as you stay barefoot at all times indoors during harsh winter days, you'll be fine. Do try to get out though and get around barefoot some in the winter, like check the mail, take the dog for a walk, or short runs until you can build up your tolerance of the cold.

I'd say, first, you'd be

I'd say, first, you'd be surprised at the kind of tolerances you can build up to. My record, after learning some tricks, is about 28F. Look for the thread titled "Winter barefoot challenge." But then I'd have to also say that I don't live in Michigan.

I've not been so excited about leather mocasins... on the ones I had, the leather held water and could be really slippery. There are a lot of new minimal shoes on the market, and there is much discussion of them in the "Gear" forum. Look there. The original ZEMs are very elastic and snug and provide some warmth, enough for me to run a few miles in snow. Cheap neoprene water shoes can be really warm too.

good luck

One of our members here in

One of our members here in Minnesota runs in a pair of Minnetonka Moccasins in the winter and really likes them. She hasn't reported water retention being too much of an issue. And she says they're really warm, but still pretty breathable. Sound pretty good to me!

I'm in MI and I don't

I'm in MI and I don't barefoot outdoors in the worst of winter.. I do shoes and wool socks.. but for running indoors I do barefoot.. and I plan on getting minimalist shoes (waiting on the new Zems) for next winter.... I do barefoot for running, but for lazing around the house, or doing chores indoors, I wear handknit wool socks... no support changes, but plenty of warmth.. I second the wool socks in a pair of minimalist shoes- thats my plan for next winter... I suggest either minimalist shoes or running inside personally... then going out when you can handle it.. I have noticed I can handle lower temps with barefeet when running than when walking.. especially if my core is plenty warm... but I refuse to go below about 40 at this point.. and only on dry surfaces..

I'm in Michigan and I agree

I'm in Michigan and I agree that winters are difficult. This winter I've done scuba boots for when the roads are really wet and it's super cold. If it's not too cold and the roads are only slightly wet, I prefer my KSOs. Now that the temps are consistently over 30 and the roads are dry, I prefer to go barefoot. It feels so wonderful! Everyone is different and you just have to find what works for you. Regardless, Dec-Feb really sucks in Michigan!

consistantly over 30?  roads

consistantly over 30? roads dry? it snowed last night.. it's been raining or snowing every day I've had off so far... hoping its dry this weekend and I can try an outdoor run!

I live in Ann Arbor and work

I live in Ann Arbor and work over in Battle Creek.. it was wierd yesterday- Thursday night we had over an inch of snow fall in A2 (then later Fri it hit 40 and melted), but BC was DRY. basically the first half of my commute yesterday was slow due to snow and uncleared highway, and the second half fast and dry...

Unfortunately, couldn't stay at work and run and hadn't dressed or packed clothes for that this time.. and this weekend its predicted to rain or snow the entire time over here... so still indoors until next weekend I hope! I have a 4 day weekend.. should have dry roads once, I hope!

Bummer for you!  Yesterday

Bummer for you! Yesterday was beautiful over here and I got a great BF run in. I'm expecting the same tomorrow afternoon too. Amazing how different the weather can be on different sides of the state!

definitely, I drive 75 miles

definitely, I drive 75 miles to work, straight along i94.. and there is often a 10-15 degree temp difference even in the midst of winter. I don't mean windchill, I mean real temps..

JP, are you talking slippers

JP, are you talking slippers for indoor or for outdoor use? I just started barefoot running this last fall and I decided to start going all barefoot at work so at least I'd be getting some extra foot strengthing going on even when it was too cold outside for true barefoot runs. The first couple of weeks it was definitely chilly, but I really did get used to it. My feet are now generally cool throughout the day, but never uncomfortably cold. I'm also pretty sure that it helped build my tolerance for cold weather runs more quickly. I've done a few runs in 23°F (dry) weather without any issues, and I never would have thought that would be possible for my first winter.

Anyway, I'd definitely agree that some indoor slippers, especially if they're loose slip-ons, mess with my stride. As long as you're somewhere with a heater, I'd say just ditch the slippers and start building up your tolerance to the "cold" indoors.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts