site suggestion: How-To in the main site menu

stomper

Now that BRS is open to the public, there may be a lot of people coming here looking for advice about this whole barefoot running thing. In the running forum, there's a "Barefoot 101" sticky by Last Place Jason that is good.

I wonder if we should make a select set of this basic info even more obvious to the complete newb.

I'm thinking about the site's main menu bar... Home | Forums | Blogs | ...

If there was room for one more category in that menu bar, I might add How-To.

This would link to a page (or a drop down menu) with a VERY select list of links for beginners... for example to the "barefoot 101" post, and anything else that the admins/editors of the site think is just about the most reasonable and reliable info we have.

For more detail and anything else this page can direct newbs to the forums.

Just my $0.02.

Zum and I spoke about this

Zum and I spoke about this too. This is what I posted before: http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/forum-topic/share-me-your-favorite-barefoot-running-etc-related-books

I envision a tab at the top of our (that's all of us) site that reads Library. Once it is opened we have categories with lists of emperical evidence, research, articles, books, and movies all related to the benefits of barefoot and minimalist running. I started a list a long time ago on "that other forum" that got stickied to the top there. We can borrow that, or if Jason has been expanding upon it, we can just grab his.

I'd also like to see a Minimalist Shoe Review tab where we have multiple views on different types of minimalist footwear that's out there as well as what is expected to come. I dream of a "Minimalist Shoe Standard" (MSS) where we devise the parameters in which a shoe will qualify as being minimal. This is a project I have on hold at the moment but plan to recruit the biggest names in the "Minimalist Footwear Movement" (MFM). Like my acronyms? It must be the techie in me. I believe I even coined the BFR one over at "that other forum." I was so tired of typing out barefoot running and running barefoot, it just seemed to stick. Everyone uses it now and on all types of forums, blogs, etc. I think Jason or Greg started the MR (Minimalist Running/Minimalist Running Shoe) acronym, and Greg started the RRS (Reduced Running Shoe) acronym. We were just trying to get everyone on the same page, since we were all so new at actually having a place to talk about barefoot running. Funny though, I don't use the acronym BFR anymore. Okay, where was I going with all this? I tell you, my head is just swarming with BFR TMI.

We are planning a Stomp of Approval (or Stompers) tab or list for all those who have been Stomped by the BRS. If you would like to receive a Stomp for your site, and you feel your site represents the ideals and vision of the BRS, please email [email protected].

Is this along the lines of what you were thinking?

Great minds think alike

Great minds think alike :)

The Library sounds fine to

The Library sounds fine to me. Basically I was just thinking of a part of the site with a relatively orderly self-contained set of material and/or links that provides a reasonable introduction and reference to barefoot running... without all the random detail of the forums.

IMHO it doesn't need to be insanely comprehensive, just full of quality material no matter what the perspective.

Thanks!

Is this something you would

Is this something you would want to take on, Stomper? I'll be here to help, of course. I can point you in the right direction for much of the info.

Yeah, I might be able to

Yeah, I might be able to take on the Library thing. It doesn't sound like too much work the way I envision that page... as being a limited selection of good material. I don't think the page would need to change very often.

The other things you were talking about, like the shoe reviews and the stomp of approval program, could be somebody else's bailiwick.

Feel free to PM me with the details. I think I can find the content, it's just dealing with the site software that seems to be the challenge?

You get the listing, titles,

You get the listing, titles, and links together, and I will place it on the site. I will have to create the tab and all that. Do you need anything from me, or do you have a pretty good idea of where to go from here? Thanks BIG TIME for doing this. My email is [email protected].

I have a pretty good idea of

I have a pretty good idea of where to go for the stuff and what to put on it. What deadline are you thinking of ? Is 1 week ok for the first version?

One or two weeks is fine. 

One or two weeks is fine. Thank you so much.

If you put some links under

If you put some links under that tab, make sure to link to the "How to Run" page on BKB's site, which is pretty much exactly the kind of thing your talking about Stomper. Pretty much the best advice you can give to a new BF runner.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11