Site feedback

danrspencer

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Love the site, very nice and professionally put together.
Just wanted to provide a couple of bits of feedback on thing's I've experienced so far. During the signup process it would be very helpful to have a dropdown list or auto complete for the "State" field. I was getting frustrated when it wouldn't accept the county I was trying and I couldn't see what were possible valid choices. Was I spelling it wrong, did the database spell it wrong, did it not contain UK counties, etc... I got it to accept one eventually but when I was getting my friend to sign up he had to ask me what I'd put in the field as he had exactly the same issue.[/list]

Is it necessary to have street as a required field when entering your location? While I'm more than happy to list which city/town I live in on the site I wasn't quite as pleased to have to also give my street. I gave my details anyway but I could easily see this turning some people off supplying their location to be shown on the map (and the UK needs all the people it can entering their locations! there's only 5 or 6 of us listed on there so far).[/list]

The last one's a really minor point. It'd be nice of the member map focused on the county of the user? It's a little annoying having to drag it over from America every time I want to check if there's any more nutters like me in my area.[/list]

Also, a huge thanks for providing this awesome free resource for us all! :D

Hi, Dan.  We're glad you're

Hi, Dan. We're glad you're here. Thanks for the feedback. I will forward your concerns onto Cameron, our CIO, webmaster. On your points:

1.) Do you suppose the problem comes from our not having counties to suite all areas of the world in the database? What we will need to find out, if Cameron does not know, is if this problem only exists for those registering outside of the US.

2.) I agree about the street field. Cameron and I have spoken about this a few times. This is the way I understand it: With Google Maps (the mapping/locations module we are using) it only allows for one flag representation for each city, so if we have more than one person in any given city, it will only display a flag for one person (don't know if it's first-come-first-served or the last member to register with that city). Our workaround to this was to add the street field. Now that Cameron has the site using a different mapping configuration, I will see if it's possible to get rid of the city field.

3.) You are absolutely right, and I completely agree with you. Let me see what we can do to change this.

Again, thanks for your valuable input. We know we still have some kinks to work out, but hopefully, there will be no major ones to worry with.

TJ

I'd imagine a large part of

I'd imagine a large part of the problem with regards to 1) is that technically my town isn't in a county, so people tend to use either the county it used to be in (which doesn't exist any more) or one of the surrounding ones. There's quite a few places like this in the UK because of how county boarders tend to shift around every time the government gets bored. Normally it's not too much of an issue but being unable to see what the valid choices were made it a little more frustrating than it needed to be.

Gotcha.  Cameron is fighting

Gotcha. Cameron is fighting the flu with fever this week, so I'll bring this up to him after he's well again. Thanks.