Shoes for Orphan Souls Barefoot 1 mile fun run and 5K

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Jonny00GT, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    FINALLY we have an actual barefoot race!

I'd love to have a bunch of people in Barefoot Runners Society shirts swarming this thing!!!

Who's in??!!! Wife and I are signed up and we're gonna get the kids to run the 1 mile fun run!

http://www.shoesfororphansouls.com/barefootrun.shtml

-Jonny
  2. TigerPaw Barefooters

Message Count:
    I suppose everyone needs a

I suppose everyone needs a few shoes. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of running barefoot to raise money for shoes. It just seems a bit strange to me but I could be wrong (and I often am...) It is great that it's called a barefoot race and they have barefoot divisions. I may be in Dallas that weekend so I will think about running barefoot in this race.
  3. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    It's something I struggle

It's something I struggle with too, Tiger. We could be right, or we could be wrong.

4. TigerPaw Barefooters

Message Count:
    Thanks, TJ. Here is a link

Thanks, TJ. Here is a link regarding Toms Shoes:

http://societyforbarefootliving.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/podoconiosis/

So Toms shoes are to protect from a problem with Volcanic soils. We are also fortunate in America not to have a problem with parasitic worms entering through the bottoms of the feet. Hopefully, the race organizers goals are to protect orphans feet from certain dangers and not to permanently have the orphans wear shoes twenty four hours a day. So if this race is for the various dangers these orphans may face then I do support this race.
  5. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Longbaord, and I have been

Longbaord, and I have been writing about this same issue in emails. He's a member of the Society for Barefoot Living. He's not completely sold that they need shoes in "underdeveloped" countries. I don't want to put words in his mouth though, so he can chime in here. I value Board's opinion greatly on many subjects.

This subject is something I find myself thinking a lot about these last few years, but I still haven't come to any definite conclusions. I see pros and cons to it. For me, the jury is still out. I still have lots of thinking and reading to do.

Can there be a gray area? Does it all have to be so black OR white?

And, of course, anytime I would recommend a shoe to anyone, it would have to be something healthy for the foot, or as healthy as we can get it.

6. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    What I would like to see is

What I would like to see is TOMS' efforts to provide shoes to those who need them be embraced when and where needed. If the organizers of the TOMS charities and events could recognize that barefoot is the preferred mode of life first, then shoes as tools (SAT) only when necessary, I think more people would be open to TOMS' campaigns. This goes for all shoe charities.

7. TigerPaw Barefooters

Message Count:
    Toms actually makes a

Toms actually makes a somewhat good minmalist shoe except for one problem. The toes look way to narrow. The soles are fairly flat and not much arch support which is good. I could see someone getting a free pair of Toms and never wearing them due to the narrow toes.

It would be good if Toms would state exactly what their intended reasons for giving out shoes. Is it just to wear shoes when there is a danger? Or to put everyome in the world in shoes just because they think going barefoot is painful and backwords?

I don't have a problem running this race. Maybe it will promote barefoot running for us and I will just let the race organizers decide what to do with my money. The website also indicated this organization helps orphans out beyond just shoes. So if I'm in Dallas that weekend I'm running this race.
  8. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Good luck with your race.  I

Good luck with your race. I think just showing them that you can do it without shoes is a good start.

9. Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    TigerPaw, it would be great

TigerPaw, it would be great if you can come! I think Dan from Barefoot McKinney may come and my wife will be there in VFFs. I've run every race I've done since June barefoot and except for the 10K I just did Monday, have been the only one. It would be nice to get more of "our kind" out to the events so it doesn't just look like I'm the odd guy who has really tough feet, which we know is not the case. ;o)

-Jonny
  10. TigerPaw Barefooters

Message Count:
    I am pre-registered for the

I am pre-registered for the race. I didn't see a barefoot category on the registration page. I suppose they will figure out a way to keep track of the barefoot runners.
  11. Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    TigerPaw wrote:I am

Hey, so you're coming down to run this race? My wife, the kids and I will be there!

-Jonny
  12. tonic Guest

Oh! For some reason just now

Oh! For some reason just now caught this. Well, I may just have to do this if there will be other BFers there.

The whole thing is ironic but oh well. At least it will be an event where BFing won't be weird.
  13. TigerPaw Barefooters

Message Count:
    @JonnyooGT - Yes, I will be

@JonnyooGT - Yes, I will be in Dallas this weekend and running barefoot. I have taken it very easy over the summer waiting for a new age group. I just entered my new age group on Sunday so I suppose it's time to start racing again. I'm a bit rusty but I'll be okay.
  14. Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Awesome!  I just picked up my

Awesome! I just picked up my packet today. Should be fun! I slacked and forgot to order my BRS shirt, so I'll be in my Blue Fiah "BFR" shirt that has "I run naked on sharp pointy stuff!" on that back, red shorts and a red hat. See y'all there!

-Jonny
  15. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Shame, shame, shame.  Where's

Shame, shame, shame. Where's the finger shaking smiley?

16. TigerPaw Barefooters

Message Count:
    That was a pretty good

That was a pretty good barefoot turnout. I have never seen another barefoot runner in a race in Arkansas. There might have been more than ten barefoot runners in the race. I'm glad to see Texas has some interest in barefoot running.
  17. Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Sadly, I think that was more

Sadly, I think that was more a product of the race cause. I wish there were that many of us in the "regular" races. Sterling, nice run! 24:21 is fast! Toni ran a 29:12...can't wait to see you run a 5k when you're NOT "sore" and "taking it easy"!!! ;o) I ran a 29:25 cause one of the other guys running barefoot made me run in the last 100yrd or so with him and we ended up sprinting it out! It was so fun talking with y'all! I told everyone I could find that was barefoot about the clinic next weekend...cross your fingers. Maybe our days of being the only barefooter in the race are numbered!

-Jonny
  18. TigerPaw Barefooters

Message Count:
    @JonnyooGT - I found the race

@JonnyooGT - I found the race results on RunOn Dallas as well. They didn't list all the barefoot runners seperately so I am not sure who or where all the barefoot runners finished. I ran the first part of the race fairly easy. Around the 2 mile mark I found out that only one barefoot runner was ahead of me. I then picked up the pace quite a bit but I couldn't catch him. My ankles are sore so I'm glad I ran only one really hard mile. My knee ligament injury from the Stair Climbs last spring did not give me any trouble at all. It looks like my knee is finally healed so it's time to start training harder.

Hopefully, there will be more barefoot races. It was fun seeing other barefoot runners in the race. Maybe the other shod runners will be motivated to try running barefoot after seeing so many of us in one race. One can only hope...
  19. Jonny00GT Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
  20. tonic Guest

Thanks Jonny! Nice to have

Thanks Jonny! :) Nice to have met you TigerPaw! It was a fun run and felt good. 100% smooth concrete too -- very easy stuff!

If there aren't more BF races in the area, how hard would it be to make up our own???