Sewers, enlighten me please....transition footwear solution?

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
Can a thin leather ball (as in ball of the foot) sole be sewn on something like this? Would something like this, sans heel coverage with a leather ball sole be possible? My gears are turning and I'm liking the prospect of this idea, though I don't sew and have no clue if this is possible. Thougths

I'm giggling because "sewers"

I'm giggling because "sewers" as in "those who sew" happens to look identical to "sewers" as in "yes, kiddos, that's where your poop goes after you flush it."

I'm a little bit of a sewer of the first sort and hope I don't have a whole lot in common with the second definition. Except that today I did have to go through my 3-year-old's poop to make sure the stainless steel ball he swallowed came out. (It did! Hooray!)

Oh, wait, you didn't want to hear gross stories about my kids? My bad.

Anyway--my concern with sewing something to that sock would be that with knit fabric the holes made while sewing might just get bigger and/or create runs in the sock. You have to use a special needle to sew leather; the needle basically has to "punch" a hole in the leather. I think it would be much easier to somehow glue it to the bottom of the sock. You'd want to put something inside the sock so that the glue didn't seep through and sew the sock together. (And of course somehow you'd have to do that in a way that the glue didn't stick to whatever you put in the sock....

But I do think glue might be better, personally.

That being said, I'm definitely not an expert sewer. Or an expert seamstress either. :)

haha Beth,

haha Beth, sewer....seamstress, all the same right? I was so excited after I got back from my run I hadn't even taken the second to word my post properly. Thanks for the feedback, would you see an alternative other than glueing or would the be my best bet? Would another sole material work better? I'd basically just want something there that wouldn't wear through very easily...wouldn't even have to be leather, kwim?

Ha ha, Zum, no problem. I

Ha ha, Zum, no problem. :) I would think that another material might be more easily sewn on. Like maybe canvas or some other thick fabric. If you used a tight zigzag stitch along the whole edge that could help minimize fraying. I'd say if you try it, get some cheapo socks from the dollar store to practice on. Sewing on knit can be a little tricky since the fabric stretches so much.

Have you thought of something like these Capezio Foot Undeez? I'd think you could wear them over socks, and could make something similar. Of course, that would be a whole lot more obvious than something just on the pad of your foot.

I bet someone with more sewing experience will have other ideas for you.

P.S. Make sure you check out

P.S. Make sure you check out some of the pics of the bottom side of the "foot undeez." The suede pads they have sewn on may give you ideas if you do go the sewing route.

fetish4running wrote: just

fetish4running said:
just for the record, I thought the same thing about "sewer". I was kinda disappointed when I read that it's NOT about poop!

Well it kinda is...

c.beth said:
today I did have to go through my 3-year-old's poop to make sure the stainless steel ball he swallowed came out. (It did! Hooray!)

Ah, the life of a mother... Sigh.

honestly- plasti dip might be

honestly- plasti dip might be easier.. BUT... there are leather part soles that are made for slippers (they come in wholes or in 2 pieces - toe and heel). these are designed to be used on FELTED slippers (as a knitter I know this) and have prepunched holes around the perimeter, which might be better.. hard to tell from that site what type of material the socks are made from.. if they are something that will run, NOTHING sewn will attach, if they are knit, then you are ok sewing them with a thin needle and thread, but you'll have to do multiple strands of thread and the thread will be the first thing to give on them.

Amie

If the stitches are under the

If the stitches are under the contact patch of your foot, they won't hold up for long. Rather than sewing, I'd glue it on with Barge cement. Rubber can adhere to wool pretty well this way and won't absorb water. Another option would be simply to wear huaraches with the toe socks.

oh and Beth, nice work on the

oh and Beth, nice work on the little's guy's end getting the bits out into his poop! Fellow Mom understands the importance of this.

Excellent advice all! I'm all about less being better, esp when it comes to sewing (since I have no experience). Where does one pick up BArge cement Nyah? I've got huaraches, though don't like to run in them much. I've had best luck with either plain ol barefoot or socks (which don't last long).

Plasti-dip would be a good shot, I may have to look at that.

Amie, thanks for the tip on the leather part soles. Do you think wool would be my best option for sock material to work with? I was just going for design rather than fabric. Open toes, and ideally open heel with a ball covered sole of some sort...rubber, suede (like this idea too...easier to work with than leather?), leather..what have you.

YOu guys rock! I'll be back on once I get this all figured out. I've got a friend who sews, she may be able to help me.

I knit socks from part wool

I knit socks from part wool or all wool yarns.. if you aren't knitting them, you'd have to see what you can find.. the issue I see is some materials will run if sewn into.. but cotton or wool knit socks shouldn't- it's the real thin ones that tend to run... basically if you have a sock of a similar material, sew into it and see what happens

Sewer...poop...seamstress...h

Sewer...poop...seamstress...hahahaha!! :D :D :D

Ok, I think it's past my bedtime.

Seriously, though, if you try out the Plasti-dip, be sure to let us know how it works! (Or Abide, have you actually used it before?) It sounds like it could be a pretty nice and easy solution.

Somewhere...I don't remember

Somewhere...I don't remember where...someone posted a tutorial of how to put Plasti-Dip on the bottom of socks without allowing the Plasti-Dip to seep through onto the upper portion of the sock. Anyone know where that was....?

I think I posted that.  I

I think I posted that. I will look for it. Stand by...

I can't find it!  Dabnabit! 

I can't find it! Dabnabit! If I remember the search phrase, I will try again. While I was hunting around though, I saw where someone posted pictures showing them just wearing the socks, with their leg crossed over, and painting the plasti-dip/neoprene stuff right on the bottom. This would soak through though, so you could slip in a piece of cardboard to go between your foot and the sock. The cardboard would act as a blotter.

TJ, I found the same post you

TJ, I found the same post you did--but in the comments of that post, someone posted this link:

Plasti-Dip Socks Instructable

The idea is to stuff the socks with aquasox/water shoes before painting. Sounds very smart! Especially as the socks would need to be stretched to hold the right shape once the Plasti-Dip is on. My Ininjis are small until stretched, and if they were painted with plasti-dip without being stretched, it wouldn't work. I like the water shoe idea because you can lay it out with the shoes still inside the socks, and let it dry.

Warning--I used Plastidip on my ZEMs, and boy is that stuff STINKY. (It's fine once it dries though!)

No, the one I linked to had a

No, the one I linked to had a way to make a dummy foot out of duct tape first.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test