Second Toe Issue

Tim Gay

Barefooters
Oct 27, 2013
I've been running barefoot or in minimalist shoes for nearly 3 years now without any issues, but in the last couple of weeks the second toe on my right foot - normally a little curved - has bent over at the tip so that it rubs against the 3rd toe when I'm running, causing bleeding. There's no pain in the toe, and the nurse in my local surgery assures me that it isn't broken. She's referred me to a podiatrist, but I will be resisting any suggestion of orthotics or cushioned shoes.
I've started using Correct Toes straighteners more regularly and may have to dig out my old VFFs. Any ideas anyone?

Thank you for the question Tim. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your foot would you?

Depending on your foot type, contacted digits (hammertoes / mallet toes) happen for different reasons. Sounds like your 2nd digit is creating more of a mallet toe (or contracture of the last digit in the toe). This can cause the digits to rub together in certain shoes or during certain activities. Toe straighteners will help a little bit but I don't think it is your only solution.

You may want to consider taping the 2nd to 3rd digit when running as this will prevent them from rubbing against each other causing the blister / bleeding. Orthotics don't really help for hammertoes - or at least won't help with the toes rubbing together.

If the toes continue to contract eventually the contracture can become rigid which means the only thing that will straighten the toe is surgery. This far from where your foot is now so I wouldn't worry about that !

I hope this helps -

Reactions: paulbeales and Sid
I have seen toes do that from adhesions in the posterior calf. The reason is the tendons and muscles that control the toes may have tightened and may be responsible for the toe being pulled forward and under. Some deep myofascial work in that area of the calf may resolve the problem.

You may be able to tape however, you may also end up with an issue with the toe next to it since this is just treating the symptom. A minimalist shoe may be helpful as well, since it will protect the toe, however, I am concerned that there are other problems in the kinetic chain on that side that may be affecting you that are probably not understood at this time

If you share a video of you running on a treadmill from the back and side, I may be able to help you see some of the other causative factors which are likely in your gait and body style.

Reactions: Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts