San Diego IBRD 5K Run

ThomDavid

Barefooters
Sep 10, 2012
Oceanside California USA
Man, I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes by posting this report. I figured since someone else (graciously) took the initiative to pull this together, I could return the favor and write up a brief snapshot of the San Diego IBRD celebration. Feel free to add to my report, fellow attendees!

First off, etreas gets a big thanks for organizing the event and picking the route. Based upon the RSVPs, it seemed as if the group would be small, maybe only 4 of us. When my wife and I arrived, Henrik (please god help me get all these names right -- I suck at remembering names) was already there -- we knew he was a part of the group because -- wait for it -- he wasn't wearing any shoes. Vijay joined us soon, and in short order, Emilie (etreas) came running up. We all chatted for a bit, and were just about ready to get going, when Glenn and Rob (thanks, Barefoot Caveman!). Head hangs in shame, cue the Charlie Brown christmas music -- joined us. They were intending to run 13 miles, but were going to join us for the first 3. Again, just as we were about to leave, Henry, the chapter President, arrives, fresh off this mornings Wild Animal Park Half Marathon. Great turnout.

Weather was perfect. Overcast, with an unusual (for San Diego) rain prediction. Emily had laid out a nice 3.1 mile out-and-back taking us into Balboa Park, so we set out for our run. We all pretty much started together, but eventually broke into smaller groups by pace. One tourist took our photo on the Prado. I'd love to hear how she introduced that one to her friends: "Crazy Americans running without shoes!" most likely.

The rain held off until just at the end, then it fell in soft, cool drops, perfect for an after-run treat. It was great meeting other local barefoot runners, and comparing notes, training ideas, and war stories. We're hoping to maybe do a once-a-month thing, alternating between North County and San Diego. A great time was had by all 80 toes in attendance!

IBRD-San-Diego-Group_web.jpg

Glenn, Rob, Hendrick, Yours Truly, Vijay, Henry, Emilie. What a cool group of folks!

Perfect! :barefoot:

We've missed you here, Caveman! Glad to see you joined the group.

So glad you were able to make it too, Henry!

Thanks, Emilie, for putting it all together!

All of you guys rock!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts