Reviewed By: Gidds

picture-12528.jpg

Date Reviewed: 11/12/2011
Review Type: Trail
Barefoot Friendliness: 4 Below Average

7525 W. Co. Hwy. 30-A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
See map: Google Maps

Advanced barefooters ONLY! If you are minimally shod you should be fine. Short gaiters or tall socks are recommended since the grass can be knee-high in places and the trail is a combination of duff, sand, pine needles, and occaisonal areas of crushed stone. This is a nice trail through pine savannah and saw palmettos with some areas of coastal scrub and access to one of the area's rare coastal dune lakes. There is a picnic table at the lake end of the trail but be prepared to pack out your trash. No facilities. There are lots of nice wildflowers in spring and fall and migratory birds. Yes, there is an alligator and the occaisonal snake. It is very peaceful here and you are unlikely to encounter other hikers or runners. The only complaint that I have about this trail is that there is no salamander pond!

Please remember that this is Florida and there are venomous snakes, chiggers, fleas, ticks, sand spurs, fire ants, prickly pear, venomous spiders, Africanized honey bees, scorpions, alligators, sting rays, sharks, jellies, etc. Presently there is a $6 park entry fee for cars. It may be less for cyclists or runners, but I am not sure so call (850) 267-0299 to find out. I think you may be able to get in for half price an hour before sunset, but again not sure.

I took some liberties with this map to show the main trail. I got it from here: http://www.visitsouthwalton.com/Travel-Brochures . It's "A Guide to Hiking and Biking". Download the PDF if you want to see the rest of the trails.

trailmap.jpg

trailpic2.jpg

trailpic1.jpg

No salamanders but there are snakes, this happens to be a water snake, which is not venomous but will bite you if you mess with it
dsc02984.jpg

Oh yeah, and that pesky alligator. Just don't act like food and it shouldn't bother you either.
gator.jpg

The red arrow is the head and the yellow is the tail for size. It's not a big one 6-8' maybe.
dsc02926.jpg

dsc02930.jpg