Sad news

Hey all,

I know I've been MIA for a very long time, but this news may be relevant to some of you that were around back in the RWOL days. Matthew Courtright, who participated in a few of our discussions back in the day, died in an work-related accident today. He was a Michigan native that attended our attempted "World's Largest Barefoot Run" years ago, was a student of Barefoot Huang's in GA, and had been working as the master brewer at Stone Brewery near San Diego.

I had only met him once and we had a conversation that lasted mere minutes, but I got to know him a little better via Facebook. I think a few people here may remember him from his barefoot interest back in the day.

We often talk about barefoot running and how it changes our lives, but we usually focus on ourselves. This event made me really appreciate something I sometimes forget- barefoot running has connected a lot of wonderful people in a way that otherwise would not have been possible. The connection to Matt, however small, was still significant because of this interest we shared.

Hey all,

I know I've been MIA for a very long time, but this news may be relevant to some of you that were around back in the RWOL days. Matthew Courtright, who participated in a few of our discussions back in the day, died in an work-related accident today. He was a Michigan native that attended our attempted "World's Largest Barefoot Run" years ago, was a student of Barefoot Huang's in GA, and had been working as the master brewer at Stone Brewery near San Diego.

I had only met him once and we had a conversation that lasted mere minutes, but I got to know him a little better via Facebook. I think a few people here may remember him from his barefoot interest back in the day.

We often talk about barefoot running and how it changes our lives, but we usually focus on ourselves. This event made me really appreciate something I sometimes forget- barefoot running has connected a lot of wonderful people in a way that otherwise would not have been possible. The connection to Matt, however small, was still significant because of this interest we shared.

OMG Jason I am so sorry so it means that I met him in Michigan but I can't put his face to his name.
What he went by when in RWOL?

Was it this Matt?
40.jpg

I'm feeling sick. He and I spoke all the time here and there. He's PMd me when I was having surgeries wishing me well, offering advice on healing. I consider him a good friend. Oh no.

Jason?

Very sad to hear this, he had given me quite a bit of advise during my transition to barefoot running. He definitely will be missed.

He has an 8-year old son. I'm heartbroken for his child and his family.

Reactions: Barefoot Gentile
Jason, sent me Matt Courtright's funeral info. This is not my buddy Matt I mentioned above, and I honestly can't say I remember Matt Courtright from RWBFR forum, but he was a true blessing to this Earth as well, as I have learned. Please visit this link to learn more about him: http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/GoDesign/inmemoryofmatthewcourtright

"Please join us in remembering and celebrating Matthew Courtright! Visitation will be on Wednesday, September 4th from 3:00pm until 8:00pm, and Memorial Service on Thursday September 5th, at 11:00am. Both will be held at Harry J. Will, 37000 W. 6 Mile Rd, Livonia, MI 45154. In lieu of flowers, please join us in honoring Matthew and donating for a school to be designed and built in his honor in Ethiopia:
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/GoDesign/inmemoryofmatthewcourtright "

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
I can't remember his face from the Michigan gathering I wonder if he was really there.
TJ is there a way you could dig out the group picture from the gathering? If you have it of course.

This was actually on my To Do list.

I can't tell which one is Matt in these pictures. Not everyone is labeled in the second picture.

If you look at the link in my post above, you can see better pictures of him and video too. He was doing a lot of good in the world. It's a shame we lose the good ones, right?

GroupPhoto.jpgPartyWNames.jpg

The only ones that are not named besides my husband is the couple sitting to Jason's left and he must be the one.
I did look at the video but still can't place him. It's really sad the the good ones have to leave us behind.
He's definetely not on the standing up picture. Not everybody came to dinner after the run

Yes Dama, I can name everyone in the standing up picture and none are Matt.
I can't recall him though, possibly he could be in that HopCat photo as the un-named next to Jason as you suggested.
There was a couple from the northern lower peninsula that were just graduating college at the time that made it to the race as well as the dinner, they might be the ones next to Jason as well.
EDIT: No wait, that's two guys to Jason's left isn't it?

Yes Dama, I can name everyone in the standing up picture and none are Matt.
I can't recall him though, possibly he could be in that HopCat photo as the un-named next to Jason as you suggested.
There was a couple from the northern lower peninsula that were just graduating college at the time that made it to the race as well as the dinner, they might be the ones next to Jason as well.
EDIT: No wait, that's two guys to Jason's left isn't it?
No they are husband and wife, that I do remember see how he has his arm around her shoulders?
And now the more I look at the picture the more I think is him.

Ok that woman is definitely not the college couple. I'm guessing you're correct that there's a high likelihood it's Matt.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama