Running slower is tricky.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I will start by saying I'm not the fastest runner out there. I usually average 8:30-9:00 pace on my runs, sometimes 8:00 pace for short distances, but decided to start running slower . I have to admit running at 9:30 or 10 pace is very strange right now, my body is not used to it and I need to put in some work to adapt. I feel my leg muscles work harder when running slower, I know my form is good, but yet it seems more demanding.

Am I turning to the dark side of the Maffetone? it looks like it. Call it getting older, 3 young kids, and always tired. Yes I'm throwing out the excuses:) But seriously I think I want to see what happens as I start to run slower. I took a run this morning, no clue what pace I was at I don't wear a garmin for short runs, but I do know it was slower than usual, but yet challenging on the body.

I've begun doing the same thing this summer as I've never enjoyed feeling beaten up after my commute. I've been trying to limit myself to an AHR of around 125 for the morning run and 120 for the, longer, evening run. My pace varies some with the temperature and humidity but overall it has increased for those heart rates.

I plan to run at a higher AHR in the Fall and Winter but will still not be beating myself hunting for speed on most runs.

I'm enjoying my modified Maffetone approach - I'm not sure it has a dark side!

Something isn't right. If your form is good, it's easier to run slower.

It is not easier to run slower for me either. I have found out several times when running with my son. For some reason my feet feel more tired when I try to match his (slower) speed.

it's easier to run fast then slow. i've had a hard time doing maf but have found the benefits to be great. adam, welcome to the train smart side.

We should probably agree on what "easier" means. I'm using it in the sense of physical effort, not in the sense of difficulty of a skill ... if your heart rate isn't lower when you run slower, you're doing it wrong. I agree that the skill of running faster is easier to perform.

Gordon

Reactions: dharmadan
Something isn't right. If your form is good, it's easier to run slower. Did you lower your cadence? Increase your ground contact time? Fail to reduce your ROM?

Things are right. Form, cadence, turn over, all the same. I have ran marathons barefoot and the next day I feel nothing in my feet. If I walk a lot barefoot during the day, the next day my feet are sore. I think slower motions work the muscles in a different way. For years I never allowed myself to get below a 9:00 pace, so this is new territory for me. I'm enjoying it!

BG (Adam), I want to thank you, for sharing leaving all that data collection behind, and to just run -- years ago; Tried it, wow; it let me experience running "just for fun." :thumbup:

HRM -- lol -- I LOVE them! After getting back into running after many(!) years away, pace/rate fell to back-burner, and HRM allowed me to focus on HR and its zones. Well, and this is anecdotal, would run by effort/feel, and enjoyed confirmation from HRM with respect to learning how to evaluate how I felt, and how the body was actually measurably performing. Nutrition good or bad, weather, how good night slept, mood, effort, "pace" etc. -- HRM would confirm. After a couple months of loving the data, had a tough hangover one day (like my second one since re-visiting drinking after divorce #2 lol [she wanted to try no booze married]), and thought this particular run is for just doing, because surely, numbers will suck big time; PR best 13.1 evar. (Running Gods have sense of humor.)

BTW, love Maf; it and "running just for fun," for me, steered me to BFR being one of the funnest, best, and most enjoyable things I do for myself.

<3 :)

Slower felt heavier-plodding for me at first, even though in some ways it was easier. But then I learned to run more lightly even at the slower pace, which I think has worked with the endurance aspect to make running faster gradually more natural.

Today slow running for me was at an exceptionally high HR, around the same as faster running?
Maybe it seems more difficult because you lose that efficiency of elastic recoil?

If you shorten your stride, but maintain cadence, you still get the benefits of elastic recoil.

Reactions: dharmadan
If you shorten your stride, but maintain cadence, you still get the benefits of elastic recoil.

Yeah? It didn't physically feel as hard just thought it was interesting with the HR. I averaged 146 steps per minute switching between running and walking? I'll have to track just the running to see if the cadence is 180 or so.

Yeah? It didn't physically feel as hard just thought it was interesting with the HR. I averaged 146 steps per minute switching between running and walking? I'll have to track just the running to see if the cadence is 180 or so.
Yeah!! :)
I played on my commute today (19C, breezy, low humidity). For the 3 minutes I counted my cadence it was around 192, AHR on the 5+ mile run was 125, and my pace was 8.05. It was an easy, comfortable run and practically effortless. I definitely benefited from elastic recoil!

Reactions: dharmadan and Abide
dharmadan: Running tech free is awesome! The garmin rarely comes out me still, I wear for races and when I run long just to make sure I'm hitting a certain mileage.

Gordon: I don't have a HRM. I read, and from others, that running and only breathing through your nose is close to Aerobic respiration (MAF). I ran 4 miles just with nose breathing (mouth closed) pace was slow of course but relaxing.

I read, and from others, that running and only breathing through your nose is close to Aerobic respiration (MAF).

Like all rules of thumb, this one can be either right on or pretty far off. In the winter, with no allergies, I can easily run at MAF + 15 while nose breathing. In the summer, with pollen around, I can't get to MAF - 10 without straining, even if I don't have any noticeable hay fever symptoms. The size and shape of your particular sinuses is going to determine whether the rule works for you. And your age. I'm pretty sure that your sinuses don't get smaller as your MAF HR goes down. Then there's your state of recovery, when HR vs perceived effort is different than you expect. I resisted using a HRM for years until a friend gave me one. I'd never go without now. It keeps me honest with myself and often holds me back when I need to be held back and often green lights a harder effort when I'm unsure about my recovery.

Good point about sinus. I experience that in the fall, not summer. I hate wearing things when I run, and I know you have to wear a band around your torso, that would drive me nuts. Do you they make GPS systems where the HR monitor is built in the watch? I will have to look into that.