Road Glove or Bare Access?

yeah find a place you can try

yeah find a place you can try some on. Way back when, I nearly ordered some Terra Planas online because there is nowhere that sells them within hours of where I live (and they were pretty much the only non VFF option at the time). I'm glad I didn't because as time went on and I read more and more about them I learned that the lasts are relatively narrow (maybe they've changed this since then?) and the odds of fitting my relatively wide feet were not great. Instead I waited it out and eventually the TGs came along and they fit pretty well, and I was able to try them before laying my money down.

Its always weird seeing people complain about how narrow the TGs are because they are the widest shoe I've ever owned (and actually comfortably wide for my feet!). Kind of puts things in perspective for me: my feet are wide, but apparently there are plenty of folks with wider feet than mine! ;)

Smelph, about the TGs being

Smelph, about the TGs being too narrow, for me (I have never thought I had wide feet until I started purchasing actual running shoes) they are just fine in the toebox. That's not the part that gets me. It's the midfoot region on the upper where it squeezes the hell out of your foot so the shoe stays in place. I've been told that this is actually designed this way because it was the "best" way they could figure out to keep the shoe from "flopping" around on peoples feet. For me, I even tried using the stretchy yanks laces to loosen this up and still couldn't get the TG's loose enough so as to not cause me pain.

This tightness and the little bit of an arch that the Merrells have (ya I know supposedly the archs are only meant to support the shoe and not the foot) really cause me a lot of foot pain. I have a hard time with any shoe that has an arch, I always have. Not sure why but it causes pain in my arch when there is arch support. Anyhow, this is my two cents.

Smelph wrote:Its always

Smelph said:
Its always weird seeing people complain about how narrow the TGs are because they are the widest shoe I've ever owned (and actually comfortably wide for my feet!). Kind of puts things in perspective for me: my feet are wide, but apparently there are plenty of folks with wider feet than mine! ;)

What that actually puts into perspective is that your feet are accustomed to wearing non-anatomically-shaped shoes. Look at the contrast between the footprint shape of the shoe and that of bare feet. A shoe that's supposed to have minimal influence on the foot should be shaped accordingly.

Nyah wrote:What that

Nyah said:
What that actually puts into perspective is that your feet are accustomed to wearing non-anatomically-shaped shoes. Look at the contrast between the footprint shape of the shoe and that of bare feet. A shoe that's supposed to have minimal influence on the foot should be shaped accordingly.

I would say VFF's are generally considered the be all and end all of minimalist shoes when it comes to anatomically correctly shaped soles yet the foot print of my KSO's look nothing like my actual foot print. In fact the foot print of the Merrell trail gloves (which I don't own but have tried on) look much more like my foot print.