RIP Micah True: Run Free, Man

RIP Micah True: Run Free, Man
Tribute by Brian Metzler, Running Times
Micah-True-199x300.jpg

“I don't want anyone to do anything except come run, party, dance, eat and hang with us. Running isn't about making people buy stuff. Running should be free, man." — Micah True, as quoted in Born to Run

In attempt to find consolation amid grief, many people have been saying that ultrarunner Micah True died doing what he loved to do most. That’s correct, but in reality, he lived most of his life doing what he enjoyed most and on his own terms, not just the final moment.

What else could anyone want said about themselves posthumously?

Follow this link to read the rest of this wonderful tribute: http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/04/02/rip-micah-true-run-free-man/

Brian Metzler is a senior editor for Running Times who lives in Boulder and knew True. Read a 2010 interview Metzler did with True here.

Please consider making a donation to the Norawas de Raramuri, the non-profit Micah c0-founded to sustain the Tarahumara/Raramuri: http://www.norawas.org/

I found this happening upon Patrick Sweeney's site, after Patrick spent days looking for his friend:

R.I.P. Caballo Blanco my friend. He left this world in a place that he loved, doing what he loved and loved by many including those that he had never met. He was found by one of his friends and his body was carried out of the mountains on a White Horse where his dog and his beloved Mariposa were there to say their goodbyes. Thank you Caballo for showing me that the world is what you make of it and that one man really can make a difference! May your spirit live on in all of us!

He was carried out on a white horse. What a beautiful sentiment.

I found this posted by someone at that other place:

"'When I get too old to work, I'll do what Geronimo would've if they'd left him alone,' Caballo said. 'I'll walk off into the the deep canyons and find a quiet place to lie down.' There was no melodrama or self-pity in the way Caballo said this, just the understanding that someday, the life he'd chosen would require one last disappearing act."

~Christopher McDougall, Born to Run.

Micah "Caballo Blanco" True Remembered

Reactions: barefootn
I just wanted to share with you a bit of sad news. The passing of a true legend in the barefoot\minimalist running community. Micah True "El Caballo Blanco" was found dead friday in the deep canyons of New Mexico.

You can read my post about this sad news here:
http://ivanolarte.com/2012/04/04/mic...und-the-world/

and you can view a tribute that I recorded today of a beautiful guitar piece titled "Un Dia de Noviembre" here:
http://youtu.be/EHcm-Ezt30Y

We will meet tomorrow here in Portland to celebrate the life of a great man with a run through Forest Park (6PM Aspen St. entrance to Wildwood Trail). A few of us were lucky enough to have met him a few months back on his tour to raise money for the needy in the Copper Canyon. We shared our pizza and beer with him after his talk was over. His humble spirit touched all of us. Rest in Peace Caballo.

That was pretty, Olarte. Thank you.

I found this posted by someone at that other place:

"'When I get too old to work, I'll do what Geronimo would've if they'd left him alone,' Caballo said. 'I'll walk off into the the deep canyons and find a quiet place to lie down.' There was no melodrama or self-pity in the way Caballo said this, just the understanding that someday, the life he'd chosen would require one last disappearing act."

~Christopher McDougall, Born to Run.
Wow...that quote is just spooky. I need to read that book again. A lot of good stuff in there.
-Warren

Eerie is right. They found him next to a stream, as if he had just stopped to get some water and rest. Beautiful. Not a bad way to go. Caballo said, "I'll walk off into the the deep canyons and find a quiet place to lie down."

Nice video. Thanks for sharing here.

Most runners have an enlarged heart. I am beginning to think this is actually normal. Kind of like when people see a runner and say he is too skinny.