Regulations Across The Services

FreeYourToes

Barefooters
Nov 23, 2010
Here is a list of the military branches and their regulations on minimalist shoes

NAVY- NAVADMIN 238/11 - Yes to Vibram Five Fingers, Yes to minimalist shoes

ARMY- ALARACT 239-11 - No to Vibram Five Fingers, Yes to minimalist shoes

AIR FORCE-

MARINE CORPS-

If anyone has a link to the Marine Corps and Air Force regulations can you share it so I can add it here

There is nothing in writing

There is nothing in writing saying yes or no for the Air Force in regards to vibrams or minimalist shoes. The instruction just says that you have to wear conservative athletic shoes with white socks. It is from AFI 36-2903 -

7.1.6. Footwear.7.1.6.1. Socks. Socks are mandatory. Socks will be white and may have small trademark logos.7.1.6.2. Athletic style shoes. Athletic style shoes are mandatory. Shoes will be conservative (plain, no bright/loud colors or excessive ornamentation).

That wording in the AF

That wording in the AF instruction influenced me to get plain black when I bought my first VFFs 2 summers ago. I figured if I got any grief at least I could argue that they were conservative in color. I've run with them on several active duty and Guard bases without problems. I've only tested in them at my ANG base and the only comment the LtCol running the program had as I went by was, "He's silent! He doesn't make a sound!" Probably my panting was drowning out my footfalls.

Although I am no longer active duty and separated before VFFs, I believe there was someone that ran one or two PFTs barefoot. I was going to do it once, but had checked the course the previous day and it was pretty harsh. If I remember correctly, the PT uniform (green shirt, green shorts, running shoes, and socks) are the required uniform for PT and PFTs, but as with all things, that is up to the discretion of the command. My command in Yuma really didn't care how someone ran (most guys ran without a shirt) as long as they were doing their PT and PFTs when they were supposed to. We quite often deviated to do boots n' utes runs, so I doubt that most commands would have a problem with VFFs, minimalist, or BF. But I'm not the Commandant, so don't quote me on that. hahaha.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts